Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173599)

wonkaticket 08-09-2013 03:54 PM

I'm the same jerk in person. :)

Cardboard Junkie 08-09-2013 04:10 PM

Can we have some confirmation on that John? ha ha jes kiddin :) Dave.

kcohen 08-09-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1169027)
Can we have some confirmation on that John? ha ha jes kiddin :) Dave.

I'll confirm that.

Runscott 08-09-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1169020)
I'm the same jerk in person. :)

Maybe, but Chris and I were hoping to see you prove it in person - seriously, sorry we didn't get to see you at the National.

CW 08-09-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1168933)
Never quite figured out why he posted the way he did.

This is just my opinion and my perception from reading Bruce's past threads, but I think much of it was done to get noticed so he could fill that wantlist. If you are going to advertise on the internet, you have to stand out among the crowd, even be a bit brash. Bruce may have even learned the value of this with his experiences in recruitment advertising.

By using this posting style, and being a polarizing figure, Bruce's threads took off and the views racked up. The more people that knew about Bruce and his wantlist, the better. Sellers wouldn't care if he came across a certain way, as long as he paid.

After a quick search of the topics Bruce created, it's fairly easy to see his ulterior motive for starting many threads was finding rare cards or finding people who had these cards.

In the meantime, he did bring some entertainment to this board. It's just a bit unfortunate (for us) that he did not share the same amount of knowledge here on this forum that he seemingly shared with so many in person.

Hopefully he is at peace now.

Peter_Spaeth 08-09-2013 06:27 PM

I disagree. One, let's be honest, very few people on this Board, much less anywhere, have the sort of material Bruce was looking for. Second, if your objective is to maximize your odds of finding what you want, alienating people and getting repeatedly tossed is not a rational way to accomplish that goal. We may never know what motivated Bruce to convey the internet persona that he did -- apparently in contrast to his much more likeable in person side. But I doubt it was rationally calculated to further his collecting goals.

Kenny Cole 08-09-2013 08:37 PM

I didn't get to meet the wonderful Brucii that folks are talking about here. What I got were really vile emails, to which I ultimately responded in kind.

I guess that whoever is in charge of sending souls where they need to go will get it figured out. Wherever he goes, I hope he gets the karma to which he is entitled.

MVSNYC 08-09-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1168948)
Click the link that Zach Wheat posted at #107. That will explain it better than I can.

Barry- did you realize that article had a link back to this thread you created? interesting, they are using this thread to demonstrate how big of a collector he was.

As i mentioned earlier- RIP Bruce.

Runscott 08-09-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1169132)
Barry- did you realize that article had a link back to this thread you created? interesting, they are using this thread to demonstrate how big of a collector he was.

As i mentioned earlier- RIP Bruce.

Wow, a strange loop! I might send a link to Doug Hofstadter.

deadballfreaK 08-09-2013 11:30 PM

I am a johnny come lately, so my opinion doesn't cast much weight. In the few months I've been here I found his posts repulsive. I am learning that many more collectors saw him in a different light. Fine with me. I am sorry for his early demise and wish him eternal happiness in heaven. I still thought his posts were extremely rude and argumentative. Insecure attention seeker.