Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Laughlin Long-Ago Black Stars Set - Worth Anything? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180392)

btcarfagno 12-18-2013 04:27 PM

OT: Laughlin Long-Ago Black Stars Set - Worth Anything?

Some of the cards in this set seem to be being called "rookie cards". Is this true? I mean...they are from 1978. I like the idea of the set, but are they really considered to be "rookie cards? Do the cards from the set have value?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C

h2oya311 12-18-2013 04:35 PM

Yes - there is a set for sale in the Hunt Auction ending tonight. Typically worth $75-$150 depending on condition. I consider three cards in that set to be rookies (Sol White, Turkey Stearns, and Ben Taylor). The set is scarcer than the '74 Laughlin set (which has more "rookies").

Purportedly only 500 78 Laughlin Black Stars sets were produced.

btcarfagno 12-18-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1218405)
Yes - there is a set for sale in the Hunt Auction ending tonight. Typically worth $75-$150 depending on condition. I consider three cards in that set to be rookies (Sol White, Turkey Stearns, and Ben Taylor). The set is scarcer than the '74 Laughlin set (which has more "rookies").

Purportedly only 500 78 Laughlin Black Stars sets were produced.

Yes. But I am only interested in the Hilton Smith...and unfortunately it looks like someone else is more interested in it than I am. If I could offset some of the cost of the Smith with the rest of the set, I may dive in.

Tough call.

Thanks!

Tom C

Exhibitman 12-18-2013 05:18 PM

The whole thing is kind of silly, frankly, since many of the 'rookies' appeared in various Latin American sets during their actual playing days.

h2oya311 12-18-2013 05:18 PM

1978 Laughlin

Tom - I have a complete set (but only need/want those three "rookies").. I can sell you the Hilton Smith for a fair price.

No need to go nuts for a complete set if you only need the one card. Sorry I outted the auction...I thought you had one already based on your original post.

I'll PM you shortly.

Derek

h2oya311 12-18-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1218411)
The whole thing is kind of silly, frankly, since many of the 'rookies' appeared in various Latin American sets during their actual playing days.

+1

But it is an affordable way to get started...

bcbgcbrcb 12-19-2013 05:21 AM

Many "rookie cards in both sets, even beyond the HOF'ers. Definitely worthwhile to collect IMHO.

Section103 12-19-2013 07:04 AM

IIRC, there were a few players in one of those sets that simply didn't have another card (not catalogued, at least) from any league or nation. As mentioned above, they can be much less expensive and MUCH more readily available options for a HOF or Negro League collection.

Clearly, the cards are out of period for the players, but if it's truly the first issued card (and I think they are in a few cases) then it is a rookie IMO. Now whether that means its worth more or not is a debate the hobby has had for decades. Especially considering they are out of period.

bigtrain 12-19-2013 09:55 AM

Every time I see a thread about these cards, I kick myself. Years ago,
I was offered two uncut sheets but passed them up.
Have not seen another since.

slidekellyslide 12-19-2013 10:02 AM

"Rookie" card is just a label, and a bad one at that. "First card" is a better title...I think it's silly to refer to a card issued 40-50 years after a player's career as a "rookie" card. Of course I know this is ingrained and will never change. :)