Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Foul Ball off the bat of Lou Gehrig (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187818)

Shoeless Moe 05-12-2014 06:36 PM

Foul Ball off the bat of Lou Gehrig

2 Attachment(s)
from 1929....

just picked it up......maybe the coolest item I've owned (...........available if interested)

parker1b2 05-12-2014 07:00 PM

Awesome ball!!!

6-4-3memorabilia 05-13-2014 08:40 AM

Just amazing!! I wonder if 90 years from now someone will be drooling of the Ryan Zimmerman Home Run ball I caught at Citi Field a few years ago. Doubt it since its Zimmerman and not Gehrig. IMO I think a foul ball from that Bat of Lou Gehrig is cooler than just a plain autographed ball from him

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-14-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1275495)
from 1929....

just picked it up......maybe the coolest item I've owned (...........available if interested)

Where did you get it from?

Sent using Tapatalk

thecatspajamas 05-14-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1275495)
from 1929....

And can you show the rest of the ball? Manufacturer's stampings, unsigned panels, etc?

Shoeless Moe 05-14-2014 11:55 AM

Thanks all, and the stampings while light are visable, and consistent with the right ball for that year. I have Brandon's ball guides at home.

Unfort. I am in the middle of moving so not sure when I can get more pix up, but fairly soon I'll try and get those.

khkco4bls 05-14-2014 01:03 PM

How much..

TimCarrollArt 05-14-2014 01:42 PM

Love it! Even cooler would be to know the exact date (to possibly tie it with the pitcher that threw it!)

I started looking......the Yankees played 18 games at home during the month of September, 1929. 6 double headers (ahhh, the good ole' days!). Checking the box scores at baseball-reference.com revealed the following pitchers that faced Gehrig in NY during that span (obviously no way to know the counts in the AB's, let alone which AB's contained a foul ball):

DETROIT TIGERS:
George Uhle
Ownie Carroll
Skinny Graham
Augie Prudhomme
Vic Sorrell
Emil Yde
Earl Whitehill
Phil Page

ST. LOUIS BROWNS:
General Crowder
Sam Gray
George Blaeholder
Jack Ogden

CLEVELAND INDIANS:
Ken Holloway
Willis Hudlin
Johnny Miljus
Jake Miller
Wes Ferrell
Milt Shoffner

CHICAGO WHITE SOX:
Hal McKain
Ted Lyons
Red Faber
Roy Sherid

Shoeless Moe 05-14-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimCarrollArt (Post 1276038)
Love it! Even cooler would be to know the exact date (to possibly tie it with the pitcher that threw it!)

I started looking......the Yankees played 18 games at home during the month of September, 1929. 6 double headers (ahhh, the good ole' days!). Checking the box scores at baseball-reference.com revealed the following pitchers that faced Gehrig in NY during that span (obviously no way to know the counts in the AB's, let alone which AB's contained a foul ball):

DETROIT TIGERS:
George Uhle
Ownie Carroll
Skinny Graham
Augie Prudhomme
Vic Sorrell
Emil Yde
Earl Whitehill
Phil Page

ST. LOUIS BROWNS:
General Crowder
Sam Gray
George Blaeholder
Jack Ogden

CLEVELAND INDIANS:
Ken Holloway
Willis Hudlin
Johnny Miljus
Jake Miller
Wes Ferrell
Milt Shoffner

CHICAGO WHITE SOX:
Hal McKain
Ted Lyons
Red Faber
Roy Sherid

We know Lou didn't sit out any of those games, to save you the trouble of looking that part up : )

....but very cool for checking on the pitching, thanks!

TimCarrollArt 05-14-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1276047)
We know Lou did sit out any of those games, to save you the trouble of looking that part up : )

....but very cool for checking on the pitching, thanks!

Haha, no doubt. He didn't leave those games early, either. To make it even easier, most opposing pitchers threw complete games during that span.....big exception for the Tigers (they used the 'pen in that Yankee series like they were ahead of their time!)

sayhey24 05-31-2014 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've always liked foul balls -- here's a collection I purchased years ago from the family of a man who had front row seats along the third base line of Municipal Stadium.

Greg