Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241524)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 06-26-2017 11:53 AM

Question about National

Hey guys.

So I have a bunch of items I would like to consign with a auction house.

I am going to the National so thought it may be best to bring the items with me and leave them with the auction houses.

My questions are as follows...

1. Will there be a lot of auction houses to choose from at the National? I know I usually some, but will there be a lot of competition?

2. Would it be best to contact auction houses before going to shop the best rates? I have some really cool items and want to get the most bang for my buck.

3. I hear there is going to be live auctions. Does anyone know who and when? Since pockets will be fat at the national, I am thinking it may be wise to consign some to live auctions. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, as I want to try to get the ball rolling on this asap.

scooter729 06-26-2017 11:57 AM

All of the major auction houses will be there.

Certainly couldn't hurt to do some shopping around in advance, in order to get the best consignment rates.

Live auctions at the National are limited (might be just Goldin this year, if I remember?). When they do have auctions at the National, they're usually just looking for very high-end items as consignments

vintagerookies51 06-26-2017 12:06 PM

It would probably be wise to shop around beforehand. I know Al (Love of the Game Auctions) is having a no consignment fee special for his 5th anniversary auction. As far as consigning at the National, I'm not sure. I was always under the impression that most auction houses accept consignments before the National and then use the National as a platform to show everything off right before the auction.

drcy 06-26-2017 12:12 PM

Virtually all the big names-- auction houses and dealers-- are always at the National.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 06-26-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1674737)
All of the major auction houses will be there.

Certainly couldn't hurt to do some shopping around in advance, in order to get the best consignment rates.

Live auctions at the National are limited (might be just Goldin this year, if I remember?). When they do have auctions at the National, they're usually just looking for very high-end items as consignments

Oh I did not know. So basically anything under 10K is blah for live auctions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1674741)
It would probably be wise to shop around beforehand. I know Al (Love of the Game Auctions) is having a no consignment fee special for his 5th anniversary auction. As far as consigning at the National, I'm not sure. I was always under the impression that most auction houses accept consignments before the National and then use the National as a platform to show everything off right before the auction.

Really? That sounds intriguing. I have never bid on or used LOTG. How do you find their results are compared to others? I was thinking about bringing to the national for them to accept it for the winter or fall auction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1674745)
Virtually all the big names-- auction houses and dealers-- are always at the National.

Thank you!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 06-26-2017 03:45 PM

What would you guys consider a good deal from a AH?

toppcat 06-26-2017 04:25 PM

All the auction houses set up in Chicago will be doing intake, guaranteed.

Gradedcardman 06-26-2017 05:04 PM

AH's

Most auction houses at this point should offer a 0% to the consigner. If not, move on as most will. I would look at LOTG, REA, Goodwin and Goldin. I would also try not to deal with that at the National. You will be incredibly amazed at what is there and time will be hard to get if you are also worrying about consigning.

RedsFan1941 06-26-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradedcardman (Post 1674838)
Most auction houses at this point should offer a 0% to the consigner.

It depends on the items. A consignment of a bunch of programs and/or ticket stubs that will take more time to photograph, describe, etc. that isn't necessarily attractive to a mainstream audience doesn't always warrant waiving the consignment charge. A group of PSA graded cards, which require less work, does.

Also something to consider: Which scenario is more appealing? Paying a 5 to 10 percent consignment fee to an AH that consistently realizes higher prices or getting a zero consignment fee from an AH that routinely sells a lot of lots at 20 percent below the average?

pokerplyr80 06-26-2017 06:14 PM

Since you're going you might as well bring the items you want to consign. If nothing else you will at least save on shipping. I agree finding the best deal by phone beforehand is a good idea to leave yourself time to see everything.

maximus35 06-26-2017 11:44 PM

I haven't been to the National in years. Over the last several years have you guys noticed prices on pre war cards being inflated or did you find cheaper deals? I always hear one month after the National is the worst time to sell so that would make it the best time to buy. I plan on looking for a few rare expensive cards I would rather buy in person and might not ever come across again in my life.