Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My first SGC card submission...a SUCCESS! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144307)

h2oya311 11-28-2011 08:00 PM

My first SGC card submission...a SUCCESS!

9 Attachment(s)
I just got back the cards from my very first grading experience. I am quite satisfied since all the cards received numeric grades!

I must say, though, that the grading standards of SGC are ridiculously strict, so even the slightest surface wrinkle, writing, etc. will result in significantly lower technical grades than what would be suggested by the "beauty" of the card. The difference between some of the SGC 10's in my collection vs. those that I got back are quite significant (some with creases throughout the whole card vs. some that I just got back with very slight amounts of paper loss on the front or minimal writing on the back)...

that said, I would say my first submission was a success! Sorry for the blurry scans...I'm just too excited to care!

Happy collecting!

kmac32 11-28-2011 08:12 PM

Nice submission and congrats. Yes SGC is strict on standards and most of the time they are fair. I have had a couple of cards where I disagree with the grade and one time the classification of the card but in general they do well for me. Have 3 cards there as we speak. Hope they grade out. I'm guessing one poor 10 and two authentics but time will tell.

Exhibitman 11-29-2011 07:40 AM

Look pretty good to me; I'd have graded the Lombardi a 1 for writing on both sides.

Leon 11-29-2011 08:00 AM

nice though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 943044)
Look pretty good to me; I'd have graded the Lombardi a 1 for writing on both sides.

Other than the writing it's not too bad though. One or one point five seems fine. Nice submission and the cards look good in the holders.

On a related note I have never understood PSA giving qualifiers to a card graded a 1. I mean really, when you have a 1, doesn't it mean you will have writing, miscut, o/c etc...? So if a qualifier is generally a 2 grade knock does that mean a PSA 1MK is really a -1?

bcbgcbrcb 11-29-2011 09:51 AM

Great HOF Rookie Cards (and Pre-Rookie Cards too), Derek. You have some real tough beauties in there, Congrats!

bbcard1 11-29-2011 10:00 AM

I particularly like the Sam Thompson Playing Air Guitar.

atx840 11-29-2011 01:21 PM

I have 50+- raw/PSA cards that I am waiting to send in, its a bit trickier for us Canadians but nice to hear it went smoothly for you!

joeadcock 11-29-2011 08:19 PM

Good way to start

familytoad 11-29-2011 09:21 PM

Nice collection

Derek...you have a really nice little collection going there...best of luck on your quest!

As to the grading, I would have to agree that SGC seems to be a bit harsher in the past year, in fact it seems that a high grade card under this regime would be pretty hard to come by. I don't collect high grade cards, but naturally when I submit my own cards, I want them to come back as high as possible. My recent sub was certainly not over generous, although I don't think it was worthy of giving up on the process either. When you are in the 10-40 range, you cannot expect miracles;)
Your cards are still very nice, and most folks here will recognize that despite the number on the flip...I say keep going if you are happy with the results. You have a good eye for presentable, collector grade cards!

fkw 11-29-2011 09:28 PM

love the tougher early cards, especially like the Prop Montiel Musial, very underrated card IMO

pclpads 11-29-2011 09:45 PM

"Sometimes the candy, sometimes the wrapper," is my exp. w/ TPG. Looks like this time you got the candy. Congrats!

h2oya311 11-30-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkw (Post 943286)
love the tougher early cards, especially like the Prop Montiel Musial, very underrated card IMO

Thanks all - I was excited to see that the Montiel Musial is tied with 4 others for the highest graded example. Definitely a tough one. As you all mentioned, it's a great start to finishing the impossible dream, but it's a step in the right direction.