Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Don't you hate to bid on auction items that have a reserve? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246445)

hshrimps 10-20-2017 11:07 AM

Don't you hate to bid on auction items that have a reserve?

Auction items that have a hidden reserve would just stop me from putting additional bids (even if I really want those items). It just make me feel like I am just helping to jerk up their prices. Don't u all think like that? :(

pbspelly 10-20-2017 11:10 AM

If the reserve is hidden, yes

Snapolit1 10-20-2017 11:22 AM

I see both sides. As a bidder, it's a buzzkill. But if I was selling a $25,000 card I'd be real bummed if there were somehow a lot of other auctions at the same time or some breaking big national event going down (like a Presidential Election being sorted out) that artificially depressed the bidding action I was seeing.

ALR-bishop 10-20-2017 12:04 PM

I always assume a seller may have a minimum price for which he will part with a card. It makes no difference to me if that price is set by BIN, BO, reserve, minimum bid or shill ( the last being unethical but a fact of life). On BINs it is either go or no go. On auctions I just set a snipe or maximum bid to price I am willing to pay. There are some sellers, those who choose the shill method, I try to avoid

brob28 10-20-2017 12:32 PM

It depends on whether I think the reserve is reasonable or not.

hshrimps 10-20-2017 01:50 PM

Majority auction houses' reserves are hidden. They should have just set the min bid as the reserve price.

iowadoc77 10-20-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hshrimps (Post 1712210)
Majority auction houses' reserves are hidden. They should have just set the min bid as the reserve price.

+1 at least.

oldjudge 10-20-2017 05:34 PM

I think Heritage’s method of handling reserves is best. With a week to go post the reserve so bidders know what the target is.

hshrimps 10-21-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1712277)
I think Heritage’s method of handling reserves is best. With a week to go post the reserve so bidders know what the target is.

+1

Leon 10-26-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1712277)

Heritage does it a good way. There has to be transparency as to the reserve before the auction ends or it sucks :). And I agree that a solution can be starting the opening at the reserve. If it doesn't sell with a high opening the world economy won't change and no one will be out a ton of money or too disappointed.

egbeachley 10-26-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hshrimps (Post 1712143)
Auction items that have a hidden reserve would just stop me from putting additional bids (even if I really want those items). It just make me feel like I am just helping to jerk up their prices. Don't u all think like that? :(

As a seller, yes, since too many people refuse to bid on reserve auctions.

As a buyer, no, since occassionally when I am the high bidder the seller contacts me for the sale anyway. Then I negotiate a slightly lower price.

ls7plus 10-26-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1712172)
I always assume a seller may have a minimum price for which he will part with a card. It makes no difference to me if that price is set by BIN, BO, reserve, minimum bid or shill ( the last being unethical but a fact of life). On BINs it is either go or no go. On auctions I just set a snipe or maximum bid to price I am willing to pay. There are some sellers, those who choose the shill method, I try to avoid

+1 there!

Best wishes,

Larry