Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please help date this DiMaggio ball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179976)

Misha 12-09-2013 06:15 AM

Please help date this DiMaggio ball

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, long story short, my Japanese grandfather had this ball from a DiMaggio visit to Tokyo. It's been faded by the sun unfortunately, and I picked it out of his stuff when he passed away about 20 years ago. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity, since my grandfather was the owner of what is still one of the most famous restaurants in Tokyo-the restaurant autograph book is to die for, athletes, movie stars, heads of state including US presidents etc etc from the 1930s on (unfortunately not in my possession LOL!).

So I have no idea as to the exact date of this ball. From the internet I gathered that DiMaggio visited Japan in 1950, 51, and 54 (honeymoon). I may have missed some dates, but this is all I could find.

I believe Frank Shaughnessy was the President of the International League from 1936-1960, so that doesn't help narrow things down, but maybe there is something else on the ball that helps?

My aunt has a photo of her sitting on Lefty O'Doul's lap when he came to the restaurant, but no DiMaggio in sight.

Does anyone have any information to help narrow it down? In addition, although it is severely faded, does the fact that he signed it when he was a player add any value to it?

Thanks for any insight :)

MooseDog 12-09-2013 06:54 AM

Frank Shaghnessy was president of the IL from 1937 to 1962.

BigJJ 12-09-2013 08:35 AM

The value of the ball is in the great provenance.

I would write a letter detailing your grandfather and the restaurant by name and specific location, how famous people came to eat there, and how this signed ball was your grandfather's, etc. and sign before a notary. I would do this not just for selling purposes, but also for the future should you leave to future generations who might want record or wish to sell. It is the uniqueness of this ball, which was signed all the way in Japan, that is special. Air travel was not as speedy in that day! There are collectors who are interested in international tours, who may be particularly interested in the piece. and Japanese Yankee collectors in Japan.

Post playing days DiMaggio balls sell for about 200-250. Surprisingly single signed balls, from when DiMaggio was a player - in very good condition - go only for about 500-1000. This ball is faded.

But because of the special provenance, and I would definitely add a menu or business card from the restaurant to accompany your letter, I would say the value is about 2k.

If you wish to sell the piece, there is a store in Manhattan called Gotta Have It, and I recall that they may have collectors for such a piece.

Misha 12-10-2013 07:04 AM

Thanks to the above posters. Yes I guess I should get facts and dates down on paper to help preserve the info on it when passing it on. I don't have an intention to sell since it's my link to my grandfather. I'm gonna guess that it was either 50 or 51 with the tour, not 54 with Monroe since my mother doesn't remember her coming to the restaurant. I would imagine you would remember Marilyn lol!

BigJJ 12-10-2013 07:27 AM

I don't think ODoul was on their honeymoon, if DiMaggio was indeed there with ODoul.

Big Six 12-10-2013 08:31 AM

O'Doul & Dimaggio in 1951

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure when O'Doul was over there during those years but I know he was there in October of '51...