Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What would you do with your collection if 2018 was your last year? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249513)

T206Collector 12-31-2017 04:39 PM

What would you do with your collection if 2018 was your last year?

What would you do with your card collection if you knew that 2018 was going to be your last year on Earth? Would you sell it? Make other arrangements?

CobbSpikedMe 12-31-2017 04:51 PM

I would sell off some of my nicer cards for money for my family after I'm gone. I'd give away most of my post war cards to my collector friends to help with their sets. I'm sure they could use some Mantles, Mays, Clementes, etc. I don't know if I would actually have any buried with me so that part of my choice is not certain. But I believe in helping other collectors if I can, so the majority of my volume of cards would be spread around.

Nice (and morbid) thread!

AndyH

rainier2004 12-31-2017 04:57 PM

Sell it all sans a couple childhood cards and my first CJ which would be left for my children as keepsakes.

he majority of the cash would go into the kids college fund and the rest would be spent on my family and I doing some fun things like a couple big trips and a new family vehicle. Some great blow sounds fun as hell though...

Peter_Spaeth 12-31-2017 05:51 PM

wtf

pokerplyr80 12-31-2017 05:55 PM

I would sell so my wife wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm sure we would spend some money traveling, but I'd leave most to her and let her decide what to do with it. As my passing would be rather unexpected she would have enough other things to worry about.

Jason 12-31-2017 05:57 PM

Sell them all minus a few that I have after life plans for. Then my son and I are going to have the best year we can after his college needs are all taken care of. Happy New Year!

CobbSpikedMe 12-31-2017 07:08 PM

I'm surprised more folks wouldn't pass on some of their cards to hobby friends/collectors.

AndyH

Leon 01-04-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1734426)
I'm surprised more folks wouldn't pass on some of their cards to hobby friends/collectors.

AndyH

Helping friends is great but helping family is more of a necessity to many, including me.

Snapolit1 01-04-2018 08:22 AM

Cheery stuff to ponder indeed. I may start a follow up "what would you do with your collection if you contract a terrible disease in 2018 that leaves you in 24 hour excruciating pain and are required to have all 4 limbs amputated"?

cardsnstuff 01-04-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1735329)
Cheery stuff to ponder indeed. I may start a follow up "what would you do with your collection if you contract a terrible disease in 2018 that leaves you in 24 hour excruciating pain and are required to have all 4 limbs amputated"?

I'd vote in that poll.........LOL

philliesfan 01-04-2018 11:16 AM

I selected the cash to my estate. Family before anything. Even though I would take my wife on a trip or two.
Robert

MVSNYC 01-04-2018 11:23 AM

you need a 5th option:

Leave my collection to my family/children.

That's different than "Nothing, let the survivors figure it out."

CobbSpikedMe 01-04-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1735326)
Helping friends is great but helping family is more of a necessity to many, including me.

Hi Leon,

I understand. I think I said originally that I would sell off my more expensive cards and then send out the lesser stuff to hobby friends. The Mantles and such that I mentioned are low grade cards and wouldn't net much in an auction anyway, so those would go out to friends too. But I agree that helping family with the bigger items makes sense for sure.

Thanks,

AndyH

freakhappy 01-04-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1735400)
Hi Leon,

I understand. I think I said originally that I would sell off my more expensive cards and then send out the lesser stuff to hobby friends. The Mantles and such that I mentioned are low grade cards and wouldn't net much in an auction anyway, so those would go out to friends too. But I agree that helping family with the bigger items makes sense for sure.

Thanks,

AndyH

I would sell most of my collection which would most likely go directly into my kids’ college fund and I’d probably have my boys keep a few cards or memorabilia so they can always embrace one of their dad’s hobby passions. I’d also have my wife keep a few items that I believe would increase in value so that she can reap a bigger monetary reward later on (hope that works out [emoji51][emoji6])

Andy...I’m glad you brought up passing on some lesser cards to hobby friends because that’s a great idea and now I’d look to do the same thing or at least give them a nice discount if anything...thanks for the post [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBBC 01-04-2018 01:03 PM

Man I'm so torn. I'd love to sell it and just leave some cash in the estate but as a new dad (my son just turned 13 months) I don't really know.

Will he give a darn about baseball or the cards, who knows!? But if I knew I'd be going I feel like I'd leave a handful of cards to him with some notes explaining why they meant what they meant to me.

Sean 01-04-2018 01:32 PM

I have neither a wife or children, but I would still sell most of the valuable cards, just because I'm curious what they would bring. I would give away some smaller cards to friends as keepsakes.

Sean 01-04-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1735329)

Steve, I can't wait to see what choices you give us in your poll. :D

barrysloate 01-04-2018 02:33 PM

With World War III right around the corner, this could be our last year. A very prescient question.

Rhotchkiss 01-04-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1735454)
I have neither a wife or children, but I would still sell most of the valuable cards, just because I'm curious what they would bring. I would give away some smaller cards to friends as keepsakes.

Sean, while I wish you nothing but long life and happiness, if it were ever to come to that, all you need to do is make one phone call my friend -- Your collection is beast and I would love to own some of it one day!

kailes2872 01-04-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1735399)
you need a 5th option:

Leave my collection to my family/children.

That's different than "Nothing, let the survivors figure it out."

They will have plenty of money left for them in the estate. I made the boys promise me that they wouldn't sell as the collection represents a labor of love. If they do sell, I will haunt them from the grave!

MVSNYC 01-04-2018 03:22 PM

Kevin- exactly.

Sean- can you leave me your Plank scrap? :)

CurtisFlood 01-04-2018 07:28 PM

This is a question that as a dealer I have put off for a number of years. This year I turn 70 and the question is becoming more pressing.

I will likely sell all my inventory and not look back. I see no heirs interested in my stuff, and they would not get as good a return as I would when I sell. Having cleared my inventory 7 times and started up again I don't view this as a problem. I haven't sold completely out for three years, so depending on my inventory after Cleveland it should be interesting.

Exhibitman 01-05-2018 06:58 AM

Nothing. If I am terminated this year my family wins a seven figure insurance lottery so they can dispose of the cards at will without pressure. I left them instructions as to who to call and how to do it.

Orioles1954 01-05-2018 08:28 AM

At the auction house I work for we get questions like this multiple times every day.

conor912 01-05-2018 08:40 AM

It's moot. The nuclear blast will destroy everything and everyone I love.

orly57 01-05-2018 09:58 AM

I like to think that if someone here had a terminal illness, that we would bond together and buy his cards without haggling over 20%. I know that I would certainly help a fellow n54 member by paying what full hammer (on the high end) would be at a major auction house. Hell, I'd go 20% over depending on the circumstances. Even if it's not a card I long to own, I would definitely help any of you guys out. Quite frankly, I think it should be a pact among us. The only caviat would be membership of over 2 years or 100 posts or more :). We don't need a bunch of sob stories from "new members" with Ruth rookies they need to move in light of their pending demise.

KingFisk 01-05-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1735725)
I like to think that if someone here had a terminal illness, that we would bond together and buy his cards without haggling over 20%. I know that I would certainly help a fellow n54 member by paying what full hammer (on the high end) would be at a major auction house. Even if it's not a card I long to own, I would definitely help any of you guys out. I think it should be a pact among us quite frankly. The only caviat would be 100 posts or more :). We don't need a bunch of sob stories from "new members" with Ruth rookies they need to move in light of their pending demise.

I love this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk