Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Find Academy of Sport Laurel Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244865)

da-bullman 09-12-2017 11:22 AM

New Find Academy of Sport Laurel Cards

1 Attachment(s)
A recent pick-up a News Letter Advertizing piece 4 pages 12" by 17" with insight on the activities at the Academy of Sport. Printed in early May/June is my guess based on content.

The Academy of Sport offered the public an interesting venue to see awards and trophy's from teams and athletes from the world of sports. The Academy also offered classes in Baseball & Football with professional players and managers as instructors. Each preregistered student would received a Laurel Card for their precipitation. The Laurel Cards were signed by 76 baseball instructors, 11 Managers 65 Players, from 1939 to1940.
According to Christy Walsh "the Laurel Card bears the name of a student and the name of the instructor of the day, thus providing a souvenir more valuable and personal than the ordinary autograph."
In addition radio broadcasts by NBC on Saturday with Bill Stern and on Wednesday Mutual Broadcasting with Stan Lomax covered the special activities.
Most interesting is a article noted as Roll Call The Academy of Sport's Honor Roll of Mangers and Players and potential Laurel Card signers. Copied from the news letter April 30, to June 26, 1939 not sure if this list actually participated as instructors of the day.

Sports at the New York WORLD'S FAIR

PHILADELPHIA ATHLETICS
Connie Mack

NEW YORK YANKEES
Joe McCarthy, Joe DiMaggio, Lefty Gomez, Red Rolfe,
Bump Hadley, Art Jorgens, Jake Powell, George Selkirk

NEW YORK GIANTS
Bill Terry, Carl Hubbell, Mel Ott, Zeke Bonura,
Harry Danning, Travis Jackson

CHICAGO CUBS
Gabby Hartnett, Augie Galan, Stanley Hack, Glen Russell,
Jim Gleeson

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Doc Prothro, Pinky Whitney, Virgil Davis

PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Pie Traynor, Paul Waner, Lloyd Waner, Chuck Klein

CLEVELAND IDIANDS
Oscar Vitt, Bob Feller, Jeff Heath

ST.LOUIS CARFINALS
Ray Blades, Pepper Martin, Joe Medwick

CINCINNATI REDS
Bill McKechnie. Johnny Vander Meer, Bill Werber,
Hank Gowdy

DETROIT TIGGERS
Pinky Higgins. Earl Averill, Merv Shea

ST.LOUIS BROWNS
Fred Haney, George McQuinn, Myril Hoag

BROOKLYN DODGERS
Leo Durocher, Ernie Koy, Dolph Camilli, Van Mungo,
Tuck Stainback, Babe Phelps, Al Todd, Cookie Lavagetto

WASHINGTON SENATORS
Dutch Leonard, Ossie Bluege, George Case

Check out my web site www.1939baseball.com

Phil Arem 09-12-2017 12:32 PM

Laurel Card

Steve:
Glad you enjoyed the piece. Chock full of info...!!!
Best
Phil

btcarfagno 09-12-2017 01:07 PM

Lou Gehrig was an instructor as well, but his laurel cards were signed by wife Eleanor.

Tom C

Scott Garner 09-12-2017 01:22 PM

Steve,
I hope you have been well.
Thanks, that information is terrific!
I told you that there was a Johnny Vander Meer Laurel Card out there.
This info kind of confirms that it does in fact exist. I just have to find one of these bad boys.... ;)

da-bullman 09-14-2017 06:26 AM

More on Laurel Cards

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys , Phil Scott and Tom Thanks to Phil I was able to get this News Letter. I decided to pick at some of the articles and this is an update. After looking at up coming events I took a look at the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers Schedules looks like Wednesdays and Saturdays fit the schedules for the Academy of Sport.

The Academy of Sport offered the public an interesting venue to see awards and trophy's from teams and athletes from the world of sports. The Academy also offered classes in Baseball & Football with professional players and managers as instructors. Each preregistered student would received a Laurel Card for their precipitation. The Laurel Cards were signed by 76 baseball instructors, 11 Managers 65 Players, from 1939 to1940.
According to Christy Walsh "the Laurel Card bears the name of a student and the name of the instructor of the day, thus providing a souvenir more valuable and personal than the ordinary autograph."
The schedule for the baseball clinics for 1939 were held on Wednesdays' and Saturdays' to coincide with the radio broadcasts NBC on Saturday with Bill Stern and Mutual Broadcasting on Wednesday with Stan Lomax covering the special activities. www.1939baseball.com

btcarfagno 09-14-2017 07:49 AM

A few others for whom these laurel cards exist but are not listed on either of the above lists:

Ted Lyons
Fred Fitzsimmons
Willard Hershberger
Babe Dahlgren
Billy Sullivan Jr

Maybe this suggests that some of the players originally scheduled were replaced by others from the same team?

Thus perhaps Johnny Vander Meer may not exist on a laurel card. Maybe he was replaced by Hershberger? Just a theory.

Tom C

da-bullman 09-14-2017 09:25 AM

Laurel Cards

You are probably right, but , I have accounted for 62 my source is 20 plus years of auction catalogs, eBay, Card shows' to acutely see the card and add it to my list so far I Have documented, www.1939baseball.com
Check list of know Laurel Cards
Cards In my collection are with asterisk *

Del Baker
Charlie Barry
Ernest "Tiny" Bonham
Lou Boudreau
Dolph Camilli *
Tex Carleton
George Case
George Caster
Ben Chapman
Sam Chapman *
Joe Cronin *
Virgil Davis
Frank Demaree
Paul Derringer *
Bill Dickey
Dom DiMaggio
Joe DiMaggio
Leo Durocher *
Bob Feller
Freddy Fitzsimmons
Elbie Fletcher
Jimmie Foxx
Frank Frisch *
Lou Gehrig
Jim Gleeson
Joe Gordon
Hank Goudey *
Hank Greenberg *
Stanley Hack *
Bump Hadley
Gabby Hartnett
Frank Hayes
Rollie Hemsley
Waite Hoyt
Fred Hutchinson *
Dave Keefe
Charley Keller
Chuck Klein
Ernie Koy
Harry "Cookie" Lavagetto
Connie Mack *
Gus Mancuso
Joe Marty (PCL)
Joe McCarthy
Joe Medwick
Johnny Mize
Carvel Powell
Pete Reiser
Red Rolfe *
Charlie Root
Buddy Rosar
"Schoolboy" Rowe
Babe Ruth
George Selkirk
Billy Sullivan
Arky Vaughn
Buckey Walters *
Lloyd Waner
Paul Waner *
Bill Werber *
Burgess Whitehead

btcarfagno 09-14-2017 11:31 AM

The ones I listed above just went off for auction yesterday in a group lot of like 10-12 of them or so.

Tom C

Scott Garner 09-14-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1700845)
A few others for whom these laurel cards exist but are not listed on either of the above lists:

Ted Lyons
Fred Fitzsimmons
Willard Hershberger
Babe Dahlgren
Billy Sullivan Jr

Maybe this suggests that some of the players originally scheduled were replaced by others from the same team?

Thus perhaps Johnny Vander Meer may not exist on a laurel card. Maybe he was replaced by Hershberger? Just a theory.

Tom C

Tom,
That could be. Willard Hershberger was Johnny Vander Meer's Reds roommate, BTW.