Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for some guidance...Ruth, Cobb, Mantle or Aaron??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244588)

Big Six 09-05-2017 06:57 PM

Looking for some guidance...Ruth, Cobb, Mantle or Aaron???

I am likely coming in to some cash in the next month or two and I'd like to treat myself to a card as a reward for my efforts. The most I've ever spent on a card is about $400 (twice). As background, I'm working on a T205 set (average SGC 40/PSA 3), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 mostly but some 6's), 1956 Topps (PSA 5 & raw) and Diamond Stars as my big sets...so here are my choices in no order:

- T205 Cobb in a 3
- 1954 Aaron in a 6 or nice 5
- 1956 Mantle in a 5/6
- Goudey Ruth (I know, but it's Ruth!). ???
- something else (T205 Joss, DS hi #'s, '54 Topps Williams pair)???

Not sure this kind of opportunity will come along again. Or at least for a while. In the interest of staying happily married, I want to stay around $2000. What say ye???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvilKing00 09-05-2017 07:21 PM

Ruth

steve B 09-05-2017 07:22 PM

I don't think you could go far wrong with any of those choices.

The Cobb is probably the hardest of the three to find, so I'd probably go with that one, unless what's available are very average threes and there's a really nice example of one of the others.

--------------

Which reminds me how far the hobby and my collecting tastes have come. When I started, 2k would have bought all of those with loads left over. Did I buy the big stars or cards in really nice condition --- Not usually. :(
With all I've learned do I do that now? Only once in a while :o

Steve B

Peter_Spaeth 09-05-2017 07:23 PM

Ruth. Period. Get the best Ruth you can afford. Personally I like the Sport Kings a lot and I believe they are priced at quite a discount to the Goudeys.

mantlefan 09-05-2017 07:52 PM

Babe

Definitely the Ruth. Make sure it is high end for the grade.

bnorth 09-05-2017 08:01 PM

Buy whatever your dream card is in the best condition you can find for the $ you have.

I also recently ran into some extra cash. Instead of one big purchase(Wade Boggs Bat for me) I ended up buying several lesser priced items. I am very happy with my choice and hope you are also happy with whatever you purchase.

Big Six 09-05-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1698206)
Buy whatever your dream card is in the best condition you can find for the $ you have.

I also recently ran into some extra cash. Instead of one big purchase(Wade Boggs Bat for me) I ended up buying several lesser priced items. I am very happy with my choice and hope you are also happy with whatever you purchase.

What'd ya get??? This would be my Diamond Stars approach...

bnorth 09-05-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 1698209)
What'd ya get??? This would be my Diamond Stars approach...

Weirdly a lot of stuff I normally don't collect. Autographs like Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller and several others. A bunch of modern rookie cards and modern game used cards. A few error cards, these I normally collect. Added another T210 to my collection and a few more odd ball items.

Then to make the wife happy I spent around $400 on paint and painted our garage.:)

Big Six 09-06-2017 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1698218)
Weirdly a lot of stuff I normally don't collect. Autographs like Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller and several others. A bunch of modern rookie cards and modern game used cards. A few error cards, these I normally collect. Added another T210 to my collection and a few more odd ball items.

Then to make the wife happy I spent around $400 on paint and painted our garage.:)

Nicely done...seems I could go that way, too. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iwantitiwinit 09-06-2017 05:25 AM

Cobb

Huysmans 09-06-2017 06:00 AM

King Cobb... No question.

brob28 09-06-2017 06:35 AM

Ruth or Cobb - you'll do well with either.

rats60 09-06-2017 07:36 AM

I would go for a Ruth. If you are wanting to go after cards from your sets, I would go after the t205 Joss or Cy Young or maybe both. They are much tougher than the Cobb.

Exhibitman 09-06-2017 08:17 AM

Ruth. The GOAT.

Neal 09-06-2017 08:33 AM

a 2K Ruth or a 2K 1954 Aaron ..... coin flip imo

asoriano 09-06-2017 08:56 AM

'54 Aaron

aconte 09-06-2017 09:27 AM

Ruth

I would say Ruth also but keep in mind that in today's market a 2k Goudey
Ruth might be very low grade.

Peter_Spaeth 09-06-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aconte (Post 1698362)
I would say Ruth also but keep in mind that in today's market a 2k Goudey
Ruth might be very low grade.

More grade for the money with a Sport Kings.

Big Six 09-06-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1698364)
More grade for the money with a Sport Kings.

Liking Sport Kings more than Goudey after looking in to this option.

brian1961 09-06-2017 11:22 AM

Since you are working on several sets, but your order in priority was the T-205 set, the obvious choice to me would be Mr. Cobb. The others are all terrific, but if you're working on at T-205 set, and you say the chances are slim that this windfall opportunity will not transpire again, it would surely seem that to get the kingpin of the T-205 set, your best chance would be NOW. Be picky, and if you have to add a few hundred (I stress just a few, for the sake of your marriage:o), do it to get a nice Ty Cobb to go into your T-205 set.

Let's face it, pal, whenever you talk about your T-205 set to virtually ANY OTHER COLLECTOR, he's gonna ask you, "Do you have the Cobb?" You go for some other choice, and I'll clue ya, you'll feel like one big chump for missing your chance to get the Ty Cobb. I am of course assuming your T-205 set pursuit is a serious one, and one you are not pursuing casually. Am I right?

Whatever you decide, it is truly up to you. Just make a choice you're gonna be genuinely happy with, and will not spike you with buyer's remorse!

If you talk over such things with your darling, ask her advice as well. She knows you a whole lot better than we do.

Wishing you the happiest choice, mate. Congratulations on your windfall.

Lastly-----TAKE YOUR SWEET TIME, BUB!!!!!

-----Brian Powell

Big Six 09-06-2017 12:15 PM

Thank you for the well thought out reply. While a Ruth is probably the easy choice, I think I'm between the Cobb and the Aaron. I'm about 21% in on my T205 set with a bunch of HOfers (Mathewson, Clarke, Marquard, Speaker, Wallace with cap, and Wheat). For 1954, I'm just shy of 75%. Only missing Aaron, Mats and both Williams with others being commons. My Banks is SGC 40 and Kaline is SGC 45 but signed...both are really nice for grade. Would only be able to do a 5 for Aaron with remainder of set all 7's and a few 6's. I'll likely upgrade the Kaline and Banks in the future but they are good enough for now. Feel better choosing between two than 4-5 cards...thanks!!!

vintagerookies51 09-06-2017 12:17 PM

An iconic set and the greatest player of all time. I'd definitely go with Ruth. '54 Aarons are pretty cool too though

Eggoman 09-06-2017 12:54 PM

I'd get the T205 Cobb, too - one with NICE registration for the grade.

AND unless your wife's eyes roll up into her head when you talk about cards with her, by all means involve her in the decision-making, too. Talk with her BRIEFLY about your collecting strategy and see what she says/thinks. Maybe even show her what your finalist selections look like...

You BOTH may enjoy your purchase EVEN MORE after-the-fact when you can remind her that SHE helped with the decision-making...

Just MY 2 cents... GOOD LUCK! Probably CANNOT go wrong, regardless!

Big Six 09-06-2017 01:17 PM

Ok...down to Aaron or Cobb with Ruth a solid third...no one mentioned Mantle so he's out! Any other thoughts???

Touch'EmAll 09-06-2017 02:01 PM

Another thought...

Remember, not all "5" grades are the same. I would much rather have an EX 5 with near perfect rock solid centering and no tilt cut. If 3 cards sitting in front of me, a Ruth, a Cobb and an Aaron, all pretty much in the same price class, I would go for the one with best centering, the player would be secondary. Also consider other card flaws - print dots, color and focus. Buy the most eye appealing card you can regardless of player choice Ruth, Cobb or Aaron. You want a nice looking card.

Peter_Spaeth 09-06-2017 02:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Line up some pics and see if one jumps out at you.

Here are some of the ones you have mentioned, see if any speaks to you louder.

Touch'EmAll 09-06-2017 02:21 PM

Peter, your 1933 Goudey #149 Ruth SGC 60 is a sweet card. That's what I am talking about - killer centering, no print marks (clean color), stellar for the grade! I know its more than the $2k, but thats the one I would be after.

brianp-beme 09-06-2017 03:36 PM

Since you are working on the T205 set, I would suggest the T205 Cobb, as you will have the satisfaction of snagging one of the most expensive cards in the set in the condition range you have been collecting.

Of course nothing wrong with a Goudey Ruth, and in my opinion the Sport Kings Ruth may even be a more eye pleasing and appealing depiction of the Babe than any of his Goudey cards.

Brian

mechanicalman 09-06-2017 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I often debate whether my next purchase should be pre-war or post. Every time I land on pre-war. My thought is: there will always be a supply of post war cards like the Aaron rookie. The folks at PWCC probably bring 5-10 to market every month. You will always have an opportunity to pull that trigger.

Sure, certain pre-war cards are plentiful, too, but a nicely centered T205 Cobb is a bit of a rarity based on my experience looking over the last year. I would always try to lock down the more rare card on your list if one pops up, but I agree with another member that you should be patient and wait for one you love.

Also, I remember meeting Corey (AddieJoss) at the National and remember he or his buddy had a nice T205 Cobb at a reasonable price. Not sure if he still has it, but something to consider in case you choose Cobb.

irv 09-06-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1698482)
Line up some pics and see if one jumps out at you.

Here are some of the ones you have mentioned, see if any speaks to you louder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1698511)
I often debate whether my next purchase should be pre-war or post. Every time I land on pre-war. My thought is: there will always be a supply of post war cards like the Aaron rookie. The folks at PWCC probably bring 5-10 to market every month. You will always have an opportunity to pull that trigger.

Sure, certain pre-war cards are plentiful, too, but a nicely centered T205 Cobb is a bit of a rarity based on my experience looking over the last year. I would always try to lock down the more rare card on your list if one pops up, but I agree with another member that you should be patient and wait for one you love.

Also, I remember meeting Corey (AddieJoss) at the National and remember he or his buddy had a nice T205 Cobb at a reasonable price. Not sure if he still has it, but something to consider in case you choose Cobb.

Sweet cards, guys! :)

Big Six 12-05-2017 01:29 PM

Thanks to all who chimed in...Mr. Postman just dropped off Mr. Cobb...and I’m a happy guy!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...98a79db643.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...45bd9c8c48.jpg

kvnkvnkvn 12-05-2017 01:43 PM

Just get as much 1991 Fleer as you can. You will be pleased...

Nice card, I would have went Ruth, Hank, Cobb, Mantle in order of choice...

Huysmans 12-05-2017 01:51 PM

Wise decision Matt...
great card, congrats!

iowadoc77 12-05-2017 06:27 PM

Awesome card. Good choice!

CW 12-05-2017 06:31 PM

Nice Cobb!

Rhotchkiss 12-05-2017 06:35 PM

Great looking card, congrats. Ain't nothing wrong with owning that

jb67 12-05-2017 07:33 PM

Well played!!! Congrats.

Neal 12-05-2017 08:55 PM

a happy decision is a good decision

jcc6252 12-05-2017 09:19 PM

Great choice!

Sean 12-06-2017 04:31 AM

Very nice Cobb. You'll be happy with that card for years to come. :)

brianp-beme 12-06-2017 10:55 AM

Great pickup and quite the boost to your T205 collection...from my distant perspective you made the best choice.

Brian