Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any One Collect Pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056)

Duluth Eskimo 09-01-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effe (Post 1913323)
Just picked it up this morning. One of my better flea market finds in a while.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=27309

This is a great one

ooo-ribay 09-02-2019 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1913284)
I believe I found a 2 1/4 inch 1969(?) MLB pin that hasn't been mentioned before, that I am aware of anyway. I know the ones that have been verified are Tony Taylor, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Rod Carew, Tony Oliva, and Harmon Killebrew. I found this Deron Johnson on Worthpoint that sold on eBay in February, 2017. The seller mentions in the listing that the pin is two inches, and what I believe is the proof is that the MLB emblem on the left that shows the batter swinging doesn't have the red border line going all the way around it like it does on all of the regular 3 1/2 inch pins. I am pretty sure that all of the small pins are missing the red line, I noticed it on the 2 1/4 inch Ernie Banks that I have and the 2 1/4 inch Willie McCovey that ooo-ribay has shown scans of. The first scan of the MLB emblem with no red line is the Johnson, the second scan of the MLB emblem with the red line is from a 3 1/2 normal sized pin. I apologize if the Johnson has been mentioned before, I don't follow the memorabilia section on a full time basis.

These continue to be pretty rare and bring good prices, at least for some guys. A decent, but not great, condition large Mays just sold on eBay last week for $255.

Cliff Bowman 09-02-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1913895)
These continue to be pretty rare and bring good prices, at least for some guys. A decent, but not great, condition large Mays just sold on eBay last week for $255.

I can't tell !00% from the scan, are your small Mays and McCovey pins missing the red line around the swinging batter emblem and do both large pins have the red line?

ooo-ribay 09-03-2019 05:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1913927)
I can't tell !00% from the scan, are your small Mays and McCovey pins missing the red line around the swinging batter emblem and do both large pins have the red line?

You are correct, sir!

Cliff Bowman 09-03-2019 09:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I had forgotten I had this pin, I had to look for it because it wasn't in my main pin box. It was in a lot of vintage Cubs pins on eBay a couple of years ago that I probably wouldn't have pursued if this pin wasn't in it. I am pretty certain that it was a promotional item for the 1969 set of 12 Cubs t-shirt iron on transfers that were available at Chicagoland Jewel food stores (someone told me that's where the transfers were given out, anyway). It measures 3 inches and is a high quality made pin although the back is tarnished. I included a couple of scans of the large t-shirt iron on transfers.

MK 09-04-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1914201)
I had forgotten I had this pin, I had to look for it because it wasn't in my main pin box. It was in a lot of vintage Cubs pins on eBay a couple of years ago that I probably wouldn't have pursued if this pin wasn't in it. I am pretty certain that it was a promotional item for the 1969 set of 12 Cubs t-shirt iron on transfers that were available at Chicagoland Jewel food stores (someone told me that's where the transfers were given out, anyway). It measures 3 inches and is a high quality made pin although the back is tarnished. I included a couple of scans of the large t-shirt iron on transfers.

Wow, that’s great! I’ve collected Cubs stuff for years and have never seen this pin.

71buc 09-14-2019 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been told these were produced for Steve Blass Day in his home town. I believe these represent all three versions.

ooo-ribay 09-15-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1916923)
I have been told these were produced for Steve Blass Day in his home town. I believe these represent all three versions.

Good job on finding those! One pickup or one at a time?

71buc 09-15-2019 02:57 PM

I had the top 2 already then all three showed up as one lot. Now I hove two duplicates. Trust me my phone is ringing off the hook for those two;)

sayhey24 09-15-2019 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great stuff Mike -- I wonder what the turnout was like on that Steve Blass Day.
Here's the pin back worn by the organizers that day --

Greg