Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Auction house hyperbole (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223319)

Snapolit1 05-30-2016 06:11 PM

Auction house hyperbole

It is just me, or have some of the catalog descriptions just gotten way out of control at some of the AHs? Came home today after the long weekend to find a new slick impressive looking catalog. Started going through it and it was just really a bit too much. Does anyone really think that the guy spending 150K on a Mantle card needs a page of poetry waxing away about Mickey, the card, the Yankees, etc.? I realize of course that the AHs are in effect marketing their wares just like any other business, but the more hyperbole they pile on, paragraph after paragraph of the thesaurus spinning away ("What's another word we can use Bob for magical?"), I start to wonder why exactly they feel need to be pouring it on so heavy. Seems like the carnival barker telling me to stop because right here right now is the opportunity of a lifetime. More that's piled on and on and I sort of start backing away a little, feeling like maybe this is all a con that is playing out. It's a Babe Ruth autograph. I get it. I can even see it. I don't need a description of the pen he might have used to sign it. But thanks.

4815162342 05-30-2016 07:44 PM

Auction house hyperbole

You would be singing a different tune if it were your wares up for auction.

Peter_Spaeth 05-30-2016 08:13 PM

It's nothing new. And I don't care for it but just ignore it.

Paul S 05-30-2016 08:22 PM

Hey, how come it took you +/- 200 words of florid detail to make a simple complaint?;):D

Billy5858 05-30-2016 08:26 PM

I just received a catalog the other day and noticed
the words: stock market, investment, returns
mentioned a lot more on the high end
Holy Grail stuff. Don't remember that side being
Pushed as much a couple years ago. So

I just look at the pictures

Snapolit1 05-30-2016 08:27 PM

Maybe because I don't use emojis.

D. Bergin 05-31-2016 11:17 AM

Pictures.

What's in the lot.

What's the condition.

If relevant, what's the provenance.

If relevant, what's it's scarcity or importance to the hobby.

Anything other then that, you're just making me sit on the toilet bowl longer then I really have to. :D

1952boyntoncollector 05-31-2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1544936)
You would be singing a different tune if it were your wares up for auction.

its like real estate..in their description

i never seen a 3 bedroom house with a garage where the garage cant be easily converted to a 4th bedroom.....is there a garage anywhere in the world that cant be converted easily to a 4th bedroom..

and of course if there is a converted garage that is a 4th bedroom, they can easily convert it back to a garage.....

i think real estate agents should go into the religion business cause they can convert anything..

bcornell 05-31-2016 11:31 AM

[REMOVED] This forum is done.