Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/t - Safes (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249519)

rainier2004 01-01-2018 11:50 AM

Lots of votes for liberty safes...I need to find a place for one as well.

Where in the house is the safest place against water and heat damage in a house?

bmattioli 01-01-2018 12:47 PM

Lots of great advise. I have one and it works for me. My father always told me to keep your mouth shut and never advertise what you have to strangers..

vintagetoppsguy 01-01-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 1734591)
My father always told me to keep your mouth shut and never advertise what you have to strangers..

Best advice in this thread.

Stampsfan 01-01-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1734567)
Where in the house is the safest place against water and heat damage in a house?

I am no expert, but I am in the middle of doing research. I want to put mine in the basement. The salesman told me to put the safe against an outside wall, in my case against the foundation in the basement. This is because fire and smoke will apparently navigate to the middle of a room first, and the walls will have less of it.

My research into this consists of one person, though, the dude who is selling me the safe.

ZiggerZagger 01-01-2018 03:56 PM

I'll just chip in again with my own discussions I had with a local security company this past year. As my prior comment read, if your primary goal is to reduce the chances of a successful burglary, then it's all about Steel thickness (gauge).
And it's the Steel gauge in 2 areas -- the Steel Plate in Door, and then also the Body of the Safe. (The Door Plate protects from bending attacks with crowbar/prybar, and the Body of the safe protects from cutting (blade and torch) attacks.)

It's probably most important to figure out what your own needs are. If it's just to discourage folks with sticky fingers then super basic is fine. If you've got a collection where the world won't end if it disappears, then a safe around $1,000 with the most steel you can buy might be ok.

If someone has a collection in the 6-figures though, boy I'd be investing in a serious safe if you're intending to keep it at home, meaning 10-gauge (lower number is better) thickness or better for the safe body and a 1/4" plate steel door plate. That's my only beef against Liberty, is that they are a little light on steel except for their one very top end model (The Presidential) which is a beast. Otherwise their safes top out at 12 or 11-gauge steel.

I would throw another company out there for folks to consider -- Fort Knox. www.ftknox.com
Top reputation in the industry, solid value, and at a slightly higher price point (2.5 - 4K for a sizeable safe), but they do not skimp on the materials. Highly customizable as well.

All points made by other folks are awesome as well, including layering your security and keeping your trap shut :D

Duluth Eskimo 01-01-2018 04:06 PM

Liberty safe. Period

Snapolit1 01-01-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1734637)
I am no expert, but I am in the middle of doing research. I want to put mine in the basement. The salesman told me to put the safe against an outside wall, in my case against the foundation in the basement. This is because fire and smoke will apparently navigate to the middle of a room first, and the walls will have less of it.

My research into this consists of one person, though, the dude who is selling me the safe.

Just remember. . . .the typical homeowners policy excludes flood damage and the typical flood policy as far as I know excludes everything below ground. . .except the mechanicals. After Sandy I looked at my flood policy for the first time. Mine replaced boiler, furnace, washer, dryer. . .and absolutely nothing else. Don't think the insurance company will be particularly moved about your card collection you stored below ground.

chalupacollects 01-01-2018 05:10 PM

Typical flood coverage can cover other below ground items if claimed that sump pump failed or electric went out during a storm...

Snapolit1 01-01-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1734666)
Typical flood coverage can cover other below ground items if claimed that sump pump failed or electric went out during a storm...

What is covered in my basement?

Flood insurance covers your home's foundation elements and equipment that's necessary to support the structure (for example: furnace, water heaters, circuit breakers, etc.).

It's important to note that some items in your basement are covered under building coverage (like a furnace, hot water heater and circuit breaker) and others are covered under contents coverage that must be purchased in addition to building coverage (for example, your washer and dryer, or your freezer and the food in it).

The NFIP encourages people to purchase both building and contents coverage. Flood insurance does not cover basement improvements, such as finished walls, floors, ceilings or personal belongings that may be kept in a basement. For a complete list of what’s covered, view the Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP) Forms.

AJR 01-02-2018 10:36 AM

I used to work for the leading supplier (and manufacturer) of safes and vault rooms for the jewelry industry, Empire Safe Company. Empire was founded in 1904 and is still family owned today.

It is imperative that anyone looking to protect their collection speak with Richard the CEO of Empire Safe Co. He is the hands-down security expert in the country when it comes to safes and vaults.

800-543-5412

http://empiresafe.com/

He will educate you if you want to be educated, he will sell you a quality safe if you just want to be sold...

You can purchase from a retail store (like home depot) but be very careful with safes and vaults... you get what you pay for and you want to work with an expert.

PS: Be prepared to spend some money. A real safe costs real dollars, most people do not think of this insurance properly... think of it as a percentage... what percent of the collection value will you spend to protect it?