Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Colgans Chips- Sepia variations (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334822)

yomass 04-30-2023 09:13 PM

Colgans Chips- Sepia variations

1 Attachment(s)
I was corresponding with a fellow collector of Colgans Chips. We both have a handful of these cards that appear to have a sepia tone instead of the usual black and white tint. Has anyone else noticed this and do you have a few in your collection?

brianp-beme 04-30-2023 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
From the scan I am not seeing a sepia tone, which I have always understood to mean that it would have a brownish tint to the image, like one of the more frequently encountered tint variations in the Batter-Up set, and the overlay on various areas of the 1922 Zeenut, as seen in the examples below.

The Colgan on the left does seem to have a different tone to it, but to my eyes it is just a slight variation of gray.

Brian

rhettyeakley 05-01-2023 01:15 AM

It is almost more of a Purple-ish tint and they are more apparent in hand than a scan shows. I have had several over the years, though they are not common.

edhans 05-01-2023 11:50 AM

Re: Colgans Chips- Sepia variations

Are both backs printed in black? There is a very scarce violet print type.

brianp-beme 05-01-2023 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After Rhett's and Ed's posts, I checked my Colgan's, and I do have this White - Buffalo (the middle Colgan's card in both scans). I guess the front seems to have a slightly purple/bluish 'wash' look to it, and the back print is somewhat violet-esque. Though if I close my eyes I don't see these tints as well, in fact all I see is wall of darkness. The back does have a little damage and the print seems smeary, so perhaps there is some correlation...?

Brian

rhettyeakley 05-01-2023 04:04 PM

You are exactly right (as is Ed) with the purple-ish tint to the card. The back in your scan is kinda clearly a little purple on the White card.

brianp-beme 05-03-2023 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Rhett/Richard/Ed, fun to know that these purplish variations exist and what to look for. Another tough variation are the cards with "208 in Present Series" line on the back bottom. I have never been able to snag one of these bad boys. Here is a scan of some that a member here posted a long time ago.

Brian

Vintage Vern 05-03-2023 08:46 PM

Does anyone have a Clemons Louisville they would sell?

FrankWakefield 05-03-2023 09:51 PM

I've exchanged emails with a fellow collector who mentioned these.

Random thoughts...

1- was there a print run or two with this different color (I'll go with sepia)??

2- are all subjects available with both sepia images and black and white images?

3- were the sepia cards actually a slight purple tint... violet! To be found in the Violet Chips tins back in the day (which further suggests that Mint Chips sold much better than Violet Chips)????

I had these out not long ago, I know where to find them. I'll get them out and get pictures up in a few days.

Leon 05-11-2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2337027)
Thanks Rhett/Richard/Ed, fun to know that these purplish variations exist and what to look for. Another tough variation are the cards with "208 in Present Series" line on the back bottom. I have never been able to snag one of these bad boys. Here is a scan of some that a member here posted a long time ago.

Brian

Those are cool. So hard to find. I have had, I think, 1 over the years.