Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which auction house? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334353)

Mike Eisenbath 04-19-2023 10:37 PM

Which auction house?

I have a sizable collection that includes lots of vintage, including maybe 750 slabbed cards, and quite a few vintage Cardinals World Series programs and scorecards. I don't plan to ever sell so don't care much about resale value, but ... I figure if I pass away, my family would get the best return for least effort via working with an auction house.

So ... polling the audience...which AH should I recommend to my wife and kids?

Thank you!
Eise

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

vthobby 04-19-2023 11:34 PM

Rea

REA

All the way!

:)

Snowman 04-20-2023 01:54 AM

It entirely depends on the value of the items you're looking to sell. Most of the bigger auction houses won't take cards that are worth less than $500-$1000 or so. If you have some big-ticket vintage items, REA or Love of the Game are great choices. If they're less expensive cards, you could look into some of the smaller auction houses that advertise here, or you could consign with Greg Morris or PWCC. All are good options.

I would definitely avoid Heritage though. They're horrible to deal with. And Goldin is incompetent.

Johnny630 04-20-2023 04:33 AM

The higher end graded vintage slabbed cards or Set's/Partials I would give to REA.

Snapolit1 04-20-2023 06:30 AM

If you are looking for a straight shooter who has unquestioned integrity and will be honest and respectful of what your family wants to do, you couldn’t possibly find a better person than Al at LOTG.

TaxMechanick 04-20-2023 01:28 PM

Which auction house?

In addition to those AHs already mentioned, for breaking down individual cards and smaller groups, Sterling is terrific! Lee is of the highest integrity in my dealings with him...

Glenn

TaxMechanick 04-20-2023 01:32 PM

Which auction house?

Let me add one thing as a caveat...
Lee is great on the graded and ungraded card-side of things...
For the programs and other memorabilia-related stuff, you can consider other recommendations noted above by others.

Glenn

Neal 04-20-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaxMechanick (Post 2333431)
In addition to those AHs already mentioned, for breaking down individual cards and smaller groups, Sterling is terrific! Lee is of the highest integrity in my dealings with him...

Glenn

Absolutely! Not only is Lee a tremendous individual, but Sterling Auctions was also started by Brian Dwyer back in the day.

Jerry G 04-21-2023 06:22 PM

Hi, Mike. Having collected cards for over 60 years, I had the same question last year. I did some research, asked the members of Net54baseball and a couple of friendly local dealers. I wanted to be able to talk to a real person rather than a corporation. I wanted to talk and work with someone who understands me and my relationship with my collection.

I decided on Love of the Game Auctions. Al Crisafulli patiently answered all of my questions, thoroughly. He was not pushy or aggressive. I submitted my pride and joy vintage set for his auction. I could have consigned something less valuable, but felt that if I was serious about liquidating, I needed to rip the band aide off. I can't describe the feeling in the pit of my stomach when that set walked out the door. Then of course, my asked, "How well do you know that guy?" I must also add that Al spent a significate amount of time explaining the process to my wife.

The bottom line is, Al did what he said he was going to do and paid in a timely manner. I was so pleased with the process and result that I have 12 lots in the current LOTG auction. If all goes well I will have more next time.

There are lots of good options for auction houses. My decision came down to developing a personal relationship. Best of luck with yours, Mike.

Exhibitman 04-21-2023 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2333300)
If you are looking for a straight shooter who has unquestioned integrity and will be honest and respectful of what your family wants to do, you couldn’t possibly find a better person than Al at LOTG.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...ze/pickens.jpg

Mike Eisenbath 04-22-2023 09:31 PM

Grateful for all your replies and DMs. Definitely much great advice. I have begun my research with valuable insight. I appreciate all of you!
Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk