Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Holy Crap - Hanna Gehrig Bat (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209894)

jboosted92 08-10-2015 01:56 PM

Holy Crap - Hanna Gehrig Bat

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Rar..._-LOT5908.aspx

436k+ Final Hammer

thats a few records set....

i believe only 1 Jackson (Black Betsy) and 2 ruths surpassed that

Mark 08-10-2015 02:06 PM

Wow. The photo-match is a big selling point!

Runscott 08-10-2015 02:50 PM

Al!!! Huge congratulations on that one!

drcy 08-10-2015 03:33 PM

I was hoping it would go unnoticed and I'd get it for the 99 cents opening bid.

But knowing me, if I did win it for 99 cents I'd complain about the $5 shipping charge. "$5?!? How are you shipping it? Around the world via a team of golden chariots?"

There's no pleasing me.

ooo-ribay 08-10-2015 04:50 PM

Not that I could ever be a "player"....but that's a hell of a lot cooler than the Wagner T-206 that sold for three times that!

MGHPro 08-10-2015 06:54 PM

Great bat . Expected it to go higher .

Duluth Eskimo 08-10-2015 08:08 PM

That bat is incredible! I agree with Matt. I am not a bat collector, but I would have expected higher too given the photo match which is an too often used phrase. Absolutely cream of the crop

slidekellyslide 08-11-2015 08:48 AM

Couldn't be happier for Al, he worked his butt off once that bat was consigned to him.

Runscott 08-11-2015 10:16 AM

He works his butt off on a lot of pieces that other ah's just toss in their catalogs with a flowery description.

Scott Garner 08-11-2015 10:27 AM

Yeah, the amount of work that went into the provenance on this Gehrig gamer is stunning. Truly an awesome result for the consigner!

sayhey24 08-11-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1440853)
Yeah, the amount of work that went into the provenance on this Gehrig gamer is stunning. Truly an awesome result for the consigner!

+1

Greg

Forever Young 08-11-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1440853)

Agreed. A dream come true for the consigner. Their choice of auction house paid off with the photo match.
The price is strong IMO. If it was a Louisville slugger, it would have went higher. Every major bat collector knew of this bat at auction and the final price reflected that.
I held the bat at the national and made a few people nervous. Oooops

vintagesportscollector 08-11-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1440897)

I held the bat at the national and made a few people nervous. Oooops

I remember handeling the Ruth $4.4M jersey at one of the Philly Shows. I don't recall exactly how that happened, but I recall knowing someone and asked if I could review it - having some knowledge of early uniforms. This was pre-sale so even $4M wasn't imagined then. Having just eaten a hot dog, luckily I washed the mustard off my hands first, else that would be one expensive stain :rolleyes:. (actually, that part isn't true....it was a a Hamburger and ketchup).

Shoeless Moe 08-11-2015 07:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1440949)
This was pre-sale so even $4M wasn't imagined then. Having just eaten a hot dog, luckily I washed the mustard off my hands first, else that would be one expensive stain :rolleyes:. (actually, that part isn't true....it was a a Hamburger and ketchup).

Mustard on Ruth Jersey would have just added to it........or ketchup

vintagesportscollector 08-11-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1441002)
Mustard on Ruth Jersey would have just added to it........or ketchup

LOL...Classic!

Al C.risafulli 08-12-2015 03:00 PM

Just getting to this thread for the first time, and wanted to thank everyone for their great comments.

This whole experience has been so much fun - the publicity has been nice for LOTG, but I can easily say that the experience of tracing the bat to that Comiskey Park photo would have been a blast even if nothing had come of it. The bat is absolutely gorgeous, and it's been a privilege to have had it all these months.

The only thing that will be more fun than the experience of working on the provenance and backstory behind the bat will be the experience of handing the consignor that check. That's a memory I'll keep forever.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

Oh, and if anyone has a mustard-stained Ruth jersey, I'm accepting consignments for the next auction. :)

-Al