Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If PSA were to become a monopoly what would happen to the market regarding SGC cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=147286)

bbeck 02-06-2012 03:50 PM

If PSA were to become a monopoly what would happen to the market regarding SGC cards?

Although I own both PSA and SGC cards, I have a much larger % of PSA. Hypothetically, if PSA were to become a true monopoly in the grading business, what would happen to the market of SGC cards? Obviously, no SGC guarantees would matter anymore and crossovers and breakouts are always a crapshoot. What type of toll would it take on the SGC graded inventory and price levels that exists today? Would it increase the % of raw collectors? The key to the question is not to give a biased answer because you despise PSA, but an objective answer of what might really happen and how, in your opinion, the majority of collectors would react (not just the pure collectors).

glchen 02-06-2012 05:13 PM

I don't think that this will ever happen to SGC, especially because they have many, many loyal customers. Even if they never become as big as PSA, I think they'll always be a competitor in the market.

However, if any TPG goes out of business, you can expect cards in that holder will decrease in value over time, especially as newer collectors forget/don't know how reputable that TPG was originally. For example, I think SCD used to be a decent TPG, and I've seen cards in its holders crossover fairly well. However, many collectors never heard of SCD as a TPG so may equate it to a "non-TPG" like PRO.

YankeeCollector 02-06-2012 07:11 PM

If PSA becomes a monopoly, you can kiss this hobby goodbye! competition is always a good motivator! Can you imagine the screw-ups if there was only one legit grading company knowing you can't go elsewhere ?

alanu 02-07-2012 12:36 AM

Any company could go out of business for a variety of reasons and the reason PSA becomes a monopoly would have a big impact on what happens to the value of the competitors slabbed cards.

For example, if PSA bought the other grading companies, there might not be much affect on the values of slabbed cards... or maybe there would be a premium for cards graded before the "merger".

There are many other scenarios, it's really impossible to predict without knowing the circumstances that cause PSA to become a monopoly.

Bunker 02-07-2012 11:24 AM

Not that this would ever happen, but if PSA did buy out SGC, I would hope they would use the SGC holders instead of what they use now.

philliesphan 02-07-2012 12:18 PM

Quite likely

as soon as SGC shuttered (for whatever reason), GAI would ride in to the rescue the following Monday.

srs1a 02-07-2012 06:10 PM

I think the most likely scenario is that people would crack and resubmit prior to selling.

We've seen a similar scenario play out over the not too distant past when SCDA (red labels) upped anchor and sold out to the bozo's with the blue SCDA labels (I don't even know if they are around). The original SCDA was pretty good, IMO...but their cards got beaten up in the market. You don't see them around much any more.

irishdenny 02-07-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesphan (Post 964700)
as soon as SGC shuttered (for whatever reason), GAI would ride in to the rescue the following Monday.

Classic... Simply Classic...:D

You my friend have become a Laughing Heartfelt Pain in my Rib cage...

And this is why I Love this place sooo much! Oh the Joy oh it all...

Monday's will never be the same!