Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   White Plains Thanksgiving Show...Worth Setting Up? Parsippany NJ Tuesday?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=128289)

btcarfagno 09-30-2010 01:50 PM

White Plains Thanksgiving Show...Worth Setting Up? Parsippany NJ Tuesday??

I am debating whether or not to get a table at a show towards the end of the year. The pickins are pretty slim from what I can see. I live in Central Jersey and would like to come home each night after the show. Seems like my only options are the early December Philly show or the Thanksgiving White Plains show.

Putting your "setting up a table at the show" glasses on for a minute, which one would be best if my stuff is generally high grade 50's and 60's as well as mid to high early century stuff...as well as a bunch of low to mid raw N300 Mayo's? Or is neither one really worth my time or money? My prices are very much reasonable...basically VCP average give or take 5-10%.

Would one be worth my time or not?

Thanks for any help. I have not been to a show in 16 years...let alone sold at one.

Tom C

Robextend 09-30-2010 01:55 PM

I can't help much as far as which show is better. However if you say your prices are around VCP, from my experience that would beat 90% of the dealers prices at the White Plains show.

Robextend 09-30-2010 01:55 PM

Double post

bcbgcbrcb 09-30-2010 02:19 PM

Might be worth it, you shouldn't have too much competition on the early 20th Century material if your prices are reasonable, especially if your stuff includes a lot of fairly uncommon issues and not T206's, 1933 Goudey's, etc.

JasonL 10-01-2010 08:04 AM

I second Phil's comments...

and would add that the White Plains show could use plenty more tables containing what you describe.

I have not been to the Thanksgiving show there, in particular, but I would certainly prioritize it if I knew more of that kind of material was going to be there.

hope to see you there!
Jason

btcarfagno 10-01-2010 10:19 AM

Thanks everyone

Thank you to everyone for the input. It is much appreciated.

It's a tough call. Philly is closer and seems more established/not right at a holiday weekend. But it also seems to be prohibitively expensive. Would have to jack up my prices a bit just to help counteract the difference between the two shows. My purpose being selling cards, jacking up the prices doesn't sit well. At Philly, they seem to charge for everything but the oxygen in the room. Maybe I can just bring an 8 foot table and save some $$?

I figure I would have to sell around $6000 or so worth of stuff in order to make up for the fees I would have been charged putting those same cards up for auction. That's a lot of sales for a show that may or may not pan out.

I don't know. Very tough call.

Tom C

tbob 10-01-2010 01:04 PM

Tom, you might want to put some of your cards on the BST thread here just to see how they move. If they sell, you might be able to make a nice profit and avoid the show expenses. Just a thought....

JasonL 10-01-2010 01:29 PM

tBob,...he has...

I bought a few hundred bucks worth of post-war stuff from him and was very happy with the cards and service. Prices were very reasonable.

-except that he wouldn't take 25% off an Ozzie Smith rookie for me!:D:D

btcarfagno 10-01-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonL (Post 839951)
I bought a few hundred bucks worth of post-war stuff from him and was very happy with the cards and service. Prices were very reasonable.

-except that he wouldn't take 25% off an Ozzie Smith rookie for me!:D:D

Thank you for the kind words...and that is correct...no discounts on The Wizard!

Tom C

btcarfagno 10-01-2010 04:49 PM

Parsippany???

"Back in the day" I used to frequent this show. The last "hot" item I remember when I last went was a Ben Grieve something-or-other. So...yeah....been a while. How is the current incarnation of the Tuesday Parsippany NJ show in terms of attendance or vintage? Anybody partake?

Thanks again...

Tom C

Rich Klein 10-01-2010 05:40 PM

And back in the day

The t-day weekend White Plains show was only second to the East Coast National. Lots of people came back to visit relatives and thus that was always a good show.

Last time I've been to WP for T-Day weekend was 1998 so a lot has changed since then

Rich