Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tweet Journalism (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271098)

frankbmd 07-10-2019 07:50 AM

Tweet Journalism

There are numerous ways to justify the internet that are positive.

1. Defrauding baseball card collectors

2. Facilitating one click purchasing of stuff you don't really want from Amazon

just to name a couple, but what really bothers me has nothing to do with the hobby.

The internet journalist

Click on a link and what do you get.

A very brief "article" (should be called an articlette):D

Embedded in the articlette is invariably one, or frequently more than one, copied and pasted tweet, which is the basis if the whole link.:mad:

Either above or below the tweet the contents of the tweet is regurgitated word for word in the text of the articlette, making what looks like a very short articlette an even shorter articlette.:confused:

The articlette often adds exactly zero information that you didn't derive from the headline that caused you to open the link in the first place.:eek:

The articlette, no matter how short, usually includes at least one misspelled word or glaring grammatical error.:p

And then at the bottom there is a thumbnail photo of the dufus who wrote it with a paragraph containing information about which idiots hired him as a journalist to write the articlette.

And although dufus is spelled correctly in the preceding sentence, it was rejected by my spellcheck, that was no doubt created by another dufus.

.....and so it goes.

D. Bergin 07-10-2019 08:18 AM

So and so said so and so on (insert social media platform here), is the bane of my IPhone News Feed.

Along with headlines such as "Internet reacts too........"

and

Such and such celebrity throws shade on such and such other celebrity.

I blame Buzzfeed, mostly.

Crappy thing is that Buzzfeed, for a time, actually had a decent news gathering organization, until they mostly abandoned it for gossipy crap, because that's where all the easy money is.

Michael B 07-10-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1897530)

The internet journalist

Click on a link and what do you get.

A very brief "article" (should be called an articlette):D

Embedded in the articlette is invariably one, or frequently more than one, copied and pasted tweet, which is the basis if the whole link.:mad:

Either above or below the tweet the contents of the tweet is regurgitated word for word in the text of the articlette, making what looks like a very short articlette an even shorter articlette.:confused:

The articlette often adds exactly zero information that you didn't derive from the headline that caused you to open the link in the first place.:eek:

The articlette, no matter how short, usually includes at least one misspelled word or glaring grammatical error.:p

And then at the bottom there is a thumbnail photo of the dufus who wrote it with a paragraph containing information about which idiots hired him as a journalist to write the articlette.

And although dufus is spelled correctly in the preceding paragraph, it was rejected by my spellcheck, that was no doubt created by another dufus.

.....and so it goes.

A single sentence does not necessarily a paragraph make. I agree with the premise though I don't 'tweet', 'instagram' or participate in any of the other so-meds.

frankbmd 07-10-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1897551)
A single sentence does not necessarily a paragraph make. I agree with the premise though I don't 'tweet', 'instagram' or participate in any of the other so-meds.

I agree and have changed the word paragraph to the word sentence in the preceding sentence, rather than be sentenced by the Net54 grammar police for a post that implicates grammatical errors in tweet journalism.

To be clear many of my posts are double-spaced for ease of reading and the double-spacing has nothing to do with grammatical construction of paragraphs.

A suspended sentence is therefore .............................

requested.:D

Exhibitman 07-11-2019 12:01 PM

Anything you can do while you poop, besides poop, is not to be taken seriously. Here's a fun analogy puzzle. Find the best analogy:

Tweets/Journalism
___/___

My entry:

Tweet/Journalism
Pig Latin/Latin

frankbmd 07-11-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1897936)
Anything you can do while you poop, besides poop, is not to be taken seriously. Here's a fun analogy puzzle. Find the best analogy:

Tweets/Journalism
___/___

My entry:

Tweet/Journalism
Pig Latin/Latin

Granted that pig Latin contains the same content (even though that content is not in Latin), tweet journalism merely requires copy & paste skills, therefore Pig Latin is far more complex, beyond the capability of the majority of tweet journalists. My puzzle answer would therefore be

fleeting unsubstantiated thought/cold, hard news???