Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vince Maltas Identification of Game Used Bats Book (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248439)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 12-05-2017 10:26 AM

Vince Maltas Identification of Game Used Bats Book

Does anyone have one they could scan for me? I would pay them for their time. I just need one and they don't exist anymore.

Or if anyone has a extra I will gladly purchase it.

OR if you want to send it to me I can scan it and return it and pay you for the hassle as well :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael B 12-05-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1726680)
Does anyone have one they could scan for me? I would pay them for their time. I just need one and they don't exist anymore.

OR if you want to send it to me I can scan it and return it and pay you for the hassle as well :)

Gian Luigi Books in Albany, NY has one for $595.00

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 12-05-2017 11:20 AM

What a steal lol

Thank you very much for the information.

Bugsy 12-05-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1726680)

Scanning a modern book cover to cover isn't legal.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 12-05-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1726699)

Well thank goodness I do not have to go that route anymore. Thank you to a very generous board member her who allowed me to buy his duplicate for a very reasonable amount. Gr3g N@z@r3th is the man!

Michael B 12-05-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1726699)

Not necessarily true. If you are doing it for personal use it is allowed. If you are doing it so that others may view, you would be violating copyright.

Bugsy 12-05-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1726719)
Not necessarily true. If you are doing it for personal use it is allowed. If you are doing it so that others may view, you would be violating copyright.

That is an extremely broad interpretation of fair use.

Bugsy 12-05-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1726719)

Any paying someone to copy a book (that is not in the public domain) cover to cover is certainly illegal.

Duluth Eskimo 12-05-2017 03:38 PM

If this is the one with Ted Williams on the cover, I would be interested in one as well. Not sure what you paid, but I always thought it would be a good read. I'm not much of a game used bat guy, but maybe that will change. Email me if one is available. Thanks, Jason

Shoeless Moe 12-05-2017 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1726746)
Any paying someone to copy a book (that is not in the public domain) cover to cover is certainly illegal.

Yah I should know, I did it, ended up in San Quentin. I got my ass kicked every time a Blood or a Crip asked what I was in for. Thought I was being a wise ass.

Michael B 12-05-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1726744)
That is an extremely broad interpretation of fair use.

Actually it is not. If you are doing it for your own personal use there is no copyright violation. It is no different than purchasing a CD and downloading it onto whatever device you wish to use to listen to it. If you already own the item you can enjoy it for personal use as you see fit. As I said, as long as you do not share it with someone you are not violating the law. Even giving it for free has been ruled illegal, hello Napster. Steven said he would pay for a scanned copy. In effect asking someone to break the law.

Why would you scan a book for your personal use? If it is a book that is particularly valuable or expensive and you know that you will refer to it many times a day/week/month it would make sense to scan it so that you do not cause damage to the book itself.

Bugsy 12-06-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1726841)
Actually it is not. If you are doing it for your own personal use there is no copyright violation. It is no different than purchasing a CD and downloading it onto whatever device you wish to use to listen to it. If you already own the item you can enjoy it for personal use as you see fit. As I said, as long as you do not share it with someone you are not violating the law. Even giving it for free has been ruled illegal, hello Napster. Steven said he would pay for a scanned copy. In effect asking someone to break the law.

Why would you scan a book for your personal use? If it is a book that is particularly valuable or expensive and you know that you will refer to it many times a day/week/month it would make sense to scan it so that you do not cause damage to the book itself.

If you purchase a CD and convert it to a different format for your own use, your initial purchase has compensated the owner of the copyright. That doesn't mean you can make copies for other people. Same is true in this example. If you already purchased the book, you can copy what you want from it for your own use. What you can't do is go to the library and scan a book cover to cover.

As far as your argument is concerned, intended use is only one of four fair use factors. All four factors are considered when arguing fair use. In this example, taking an entire work, not adding any commentary, insight, or value, and not compensating the author are reasons why you can't copy a book cover to cover. If you decide to copy a large portion of a print title, it is usually wise to pay copyright fees to the author. It's easiest to do this through the Copyright Clearance Center.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overvie...er_of_your_use

RelicSports 12-06-2017 12:01 PM

If anyone else is willing to sell their Malta bat book, please let me know. I have tried to purchase multiple times on amazon in the past couple years and everytime they seem to have to wait 90+ days for it to arrive and just send me my $$ back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Duluth Eskimo 12-07-2017 11:59 AM

I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Shipping is $8.00 priority mail Total $48.00
PayPal is zanebats@comcast.net

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 12-07-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1727285)
I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Is that the publisher?

Duluth Eskimo 12-07-2017 01:32 PM

I don't believe so, Zane buys and sells game used bats. I'm not sure what level of participation in the book he had or just has extras from the original publishing. As I gave his contact info, I think you should contact him with any questions.

ooo-ribay 12-07-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1727285)

That seems like a smoking deal. Scanning was never going to work, because these books were bound very poorly and if you fold the pages back all the way, they are sure to fall out. I've had two and they both fell apart. Still, a great resource!

thecatspajamas 12-07-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1727312)
That seems like a smoking deal. Scanning was never going to work, because these books were bound very poorly and if you fold the pages back all the way, they are sure to fall out. I've had two and they both fell apart. Still, a great resource!

Very true. Scanning your personal copy to keep the original in good shape would be counter-productive. By the time you were done, you'd have a loose-leaf original :D

I believe Zane purchased the remainder of the original publisher's stock a while back. His price is very reasonable considering how tough they are to find second-hand.

MooseDog 12-08-2017 01:47 AM

Lots of book sellers on Amazon don't actually have any books in inventory, they just pirate other Amazon listings or from other sources and drop-ship. There are some operations making literally millions on other people's listings.

Similar to the way sportsmemorabilia.com operates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfan4 (Post 1727020)
If anyone else is willing to sell their Malta bat book, please let me know. I have tried to purchase multiple times on amazon in the past couple years and everytime they seem to have to wait 90+ days for it to arrive and just send me my $$ back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

mordecaibrown 12-11-2017 05:04 PM

Vince Malta book

Just a quick comment in case any other members were considering purchasing this book. I contacted Zane (details Jason posted in post #14) on Friday.

Book arrived today - extremely fast and exactly as stated. Book is brand new and looks like a great read. Just in case anyone was unsure - great transaction!

Thanks for posting the information Jason!

Andy

Duluth Eskimo 12-11-2017 09:26 PM

I got mine today too. Obviously Zane shipped it same day. I highly encourage people that are interested to pick one up. Looks like a great read and if you use it one time to influence your purchase, it's easily worth it.