Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Love of the Game Auctions - Open for Bidding (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173318)

Al C.risafulli 08-01-2013 12:10 AM

Love of the Game Auctions - Open for Bidding

Hi everyone:

In the midst of all the National hoopla, I thought I'd just let you all know that Love of the Game's Summer auction opened this afternoon.

This is easily our biggest sale yet. In addition to the typical menagerie of scarce and unusual cards and unique memorabilia, we've got quite a few truly special items:

• T206 Eddie Plank, SGC 10
• 1914 Cracker Jack near set, #4 on the PSA Registry
• 1914 Cracker Jack Del Pratt, PSA 1.5
• 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb, PSA 2
• 1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson, PSA 2
• High-grade 1939 R303-B complete set, #2 on the SGC Registry

For the collector of more modern items, we've got a few dynamite complete sets:

• 1967 Topps baseball, #14 on the PSA Registry
• 1964 Topps football, #1 on the PSA Registry
• 1962 Fleer football, #8 on the PSA Registry

If you're so inclined, please visit www.loveofthegameauctions.com and check out what we've got to offer. And if you're in Chicago, please stop by Booth #309 and preview some of the cards.

Thanks,
-Al

MVSNYC 08-01-2013 06:28 AM

Great looking auction, Al! Some serious Cracker Jacks and T206 cards for sure.

Best of luck!

Jcfowler6 08-01-2013 10:20 AM

The Plank is cool for sure but why isn't it Grade Altered or Authentic?

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Lot...---SGC-POOR-10

ethicsprof 08-01-2013 10:20 AM

al

another great auction, ole buddy!
I've already got several bids in!
all the best,
barry

z28jd 08-01-2013 10:28 AM

You're the man Al! This is the first time I've ever consigned to an auction house, so bid away, otherwise I'll never do it again :)

Rob D. 08-01-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 (Post 1165333)
The Plank is cool for sure but why isn't it Grade Altered or Authentic?

The way I understand SGC's policy -- and don't shoot the messenger -- is that if they determine that eraser marks were done to remove something like pencil marks, the grade will be authentic. But if the erasing wasn't done to remove something that originally wasn't on the card, then the card can receive a number.

I might not have expressed their exact letter of the law, but I think that's the basic philosophy. And just because I tried to explain it, doesn't mean I necessarily agree with the logic.

Since the Plank and SGC currently are in the same building for the next four days, it would be great to get an official explanation right from the horse's mouth.

btkpath 08-01-2013 10:45 AM

I have my eye on more than a couple of items.

Thanks for the great auction Al!

drcy 08-01-2013 12:51 PM

Browsing the auction, I noticed a lot more lots. Quality material too. Good luck.

Matthew H 08-01-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1165345)
The way I understand SGC's policy -- and don't shoot the messenger -- is that if they determine that eraser marks were done to remove something like pencil marks, the grade will be authentic. But if the erasing wasn't done to remove something that originally wasn't on the card, then the card can receive a number.
mouth.

Actually, they will grade pencil erasures numerically. A board member showed a before and after with a grade bump-up. The erasure was preformed in-house at SGC by the customer, who asked beforehand, if it would be ok.

ScottFandango 08-01-2013 05:50 PM

Al

I really like the Fonts you used and the overall feel of your website...very inviting, well done!

That Pratt is awesome....that is THE card that keeps most from completing the 1914 CJ set..the Jackson and Cobb are usually readily available, but the Pratt is a whole different ballgame..:).

LEHR 08-01-2013 06:36 PM

Great auction, Al! They just keep getting bigger and bigger! Good luck!

z28jd 08-21-2013 07:29 PM

I just want to bump this because this auction is allowing me to experience something for the first time. I've never consigned cards to an auction until this one going on right now. I have three lots and I'm bidding on a bunch of things too, so now I'm constantly checking to see if my lots get any bids, so I can bid more on other things. Yesterday my stuff got 4-5 bids, so that moved me into a new bracket of stuff I can consider. It's fun when the stakes aren't too high and the stuff you're selling is doing fairly good :)

Theo_450 08-21-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1174113)
I just want to bump this because this auction is allowing me to experience something for the first time. I've never consigned cards to an auction until this one going on right now. I have three lots and I'm bidding on a bunch of things too, so now I'm constantly checking to see if my lots get any bids, so I can bid more on other things. Yesterday my stuff got 4-5 bids, so that moved me into a new bracket of stuff I can consider. It's fun when the stakes aren't too high and the stuff you're selling is doing fairly good :)

First time consignor here too....

Right there with you!

I am having a lot of fun watching my (soon to no longer be mine) lots in the LOTG auction!!!!

t206hound 08-21-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo_450 (Post 1174119)

Right there with you!

I am having a lot of fun watching my (soon to longer be mine) lots in the LOTG auction!!!!

That makes three of us. My first time consigning with Al... and so far so good! But don't stop bidding guys ;)

rainier2004 08-21-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo_450 (Post 1174119)

Right there with you!

I am having a lot of fun watching my (soon to longer be mine) lots in the LOTG auction!!!!

Yeah Ted, I think you might get a buck or two from me...my entire week was planned around Saturday night. I would prefer to stop getting emails from Al to let me know I have been outbid, so please stop bidding.

MVSNYC 08-21-2013 08:25 PM

Same here fellas...I have several consignments (i've given Al stuff every auction so far, and have been very happy with the results), and i'm bidding on many other things....great auction, Saturday night will be fun!

z28jd 08-21-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1174146)
Same here fellas...I have several consignments (i've given Al stuff every auction so far, and have been very happy with the results), and i'm bidding on many other things....great auction, Saturday night will be fun!

I'm hoping it's fun, but I guess the worst case is that I get outbid on everything and get all the money from my consignments. In that case, I'm only 3-4 bids total away from getting the minimum I hoped for from them. If they do better though, then I'll bid more on some things than I normally would have bid.

Theo_450 08-21-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1174123)
Yeah Ted, I think you might get a buck or two from me...my entire week was planned around Saturday night. I would prefer to stop getting emails from Al to let me know I have been outbid, so please stop bidding.

Best of luck! I hope you get all the ones you want!

ethicsprof 08-21-2013 10:00 PM

Lotg

this auction is incredibly exciting!!
I'm always amazed at how well written the lot descriptions are.
Reading these is almost as much fun as bidding on these great lots.
Top shelf in every way.
all the best, al

Barry

Theo_450 08-21-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1174182)
Top shelf in every way.
all the best, al

Barry

I just scrolled through every lot in the auction. Well done Al!

Deertick 08-22-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1174182)
Top shelf in every way.
all the best, al

Barry

Barry,
I contacted Al about a minor point in one of the descriptions and he fixed it with a two-paragraph addendum. :D There is no way anyone can claim they didn't know what they were bidding on!

ethicsprof 08-22-2013 07:22 PM

jim m

ole al is definitely going to make sure the descriptions are accurate.
I do think he's one of the best writers---if not the best--- in the business.
all the best,
barry

Theo_450 08-22-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1174541)
ole al is definitely going to make sure the descriptions are accurate.
I do think he's one of the best writers---if not the best--- in the business.
all the best,
barry

He definitely describes cards for what they are!
He also has a collector's eye!

ethicsprof 08-22-2013 08:44 PM

ted

very well said!!!!
all the best,
barry

Orioles1954 08-22-2013 09:25 PM

I'm a writer for Huggins & Scott and I always appreciate those who can express their ideas well. I think Al does a tremendous job of melding technical writing with interesting prose.

HRBAKER 08-22-2013 09:29 PM

Lotg

Agreed, he doesn't seem to have been schooled at the Dime Store Romance Novel school of writing that some of the other houses employ.