Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Huggins & Scott: Goudey Signed Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=226772)

T206Collector 08-12-2016 05:55 AM

Huggins & Scott: Goudey Signed Cards

Okay - so, I got skunked, but I imagine a large Net54 contingent managed to reel some of these in. Anybody got any to share?

milkit1 08-12-2016 06:23 AM

I feel sorry for whomever dropped 13k on that Earl Clark. How that ever got authenticated by JSA is beyond me.
I did an interview with Bob Lemke a few years ago and mentioned the rarity of that card. The autograph does notlook like any Earl Clark autograph I have seen. Not that its impossible but the Clark auto just plain doesnt look good.

The prices were pretty healthy. I never thought Id see the day a common sells for over 2k. The days of me buying signed Ed Brandts for $50 are loooooong gone.

T206Collector 08-12-2016 06:42 AM

Yeah, can't get signed T206 Snodgrass and Leifield for $275 like the old days either! :eek:

Jasonxmay 08-12-2016 06:49 AM

Huggins

The prices were strange. I added Bill Walker, Flint Rhem, Ernie Orsatti and Alvin Crowder no. 122, which puts me at 215/239. I passed on Earl Clark as almost $20k for a common is just insane regardless of how tough he is. I have at least 10 that may be the only ones in existence and none are $20k cards with the exception of maybe Tris Speaker. Sean had also expressed concerns about the authenticity of the Clark prior to the auction and fears that he was right crept in. I passed on Cissell as well by only because I know where another one is that I can trade for and I'd rather do that than pay $7,000 plus. I also upgraded 21 others including some very nice period signatures. Overall I was happy with the auction, but surprised by how strong the market is.

Jason

Republicaninmass 08-12-2016 07:11 AM

Didn't clark have five years before he passed to sign that card? Is there any other reason why he is tough? Seems like a ridiculous statement that it could even remotely be the only one to exist 'only' having five entire years to sign it. A claim most likely perpetrated by the seller! Healthy prices on signed cards are not a surprise, but this certainly was a shock.

vintagechris 08-12-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1571152)
Didn't clark have five years before he passed to sign that card? Is there any other reason why he is tough? Seems like a ridiculous statement that it could even remotely be the only one to exist 'only' having five entire years to sign it. A claim most likely perpetrated by the seller! Healthy prices on signed cards are not a surprise, but this certainly was a shock.

A 5 year window to sign in the 30's is much different than a 5 year window to sign say in the 80's. Most people were not getting gum cards signed in the 30's.

btcarfagno 08-12-2016 07:28 AM

I ended up with four of them that I thought went too low.

#37 Jimmy Wilson
#59 Bing Miller
#71 Bob Burke
#193 Lyn Lary

The HOFers were super strong.

It would be nice if a new group like this coming to the market spurs others to go for the complete signed set. I say that only because I'm not doing it currently. It would suck for those who are currently doing that!

Tom C

Republicaninmass 08-12-2016 07:39 AM

Thanks Chris, since I pretty much stop collecting signed cards after 1952, I understand it is much tougher to find cards in the 30s than even the 50s. Also, do we know if was he out of baseball after 33? Just seems like for that kind of price, someone is pretty sure there isn't another one period.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jasonxmay 08-12-2016 08:16 AM

Clark

Earl Clark is tough for many reasons. The first, and most obvious, is that he died in 1938. However, a secondary reason is that he played a total of 30 games between 1933 and 1934 and then retired. Most of the Goudeys that you see bearing vintage signatures were likely signed at ballparks on game days, meaning there were only 30 opportunities for Earl Clark to sign this card. Additionally, he was by no means a star, so the likelihood that anyone took the time to track him down and send him a Goudey to sign through the mail is very unlikely.

I agree that the auction house did a good job of hyping this card up. I was tempted to buy it, but I showed restraint and I'm glad that I did. If another Clark does pop up I wouldn't expect it to sell for over $5,000. In fact, if the buyer decides to flip the one that just sold it very well may not clear $5,000. Last night's auction clearly got the attention of a few people who are probably new to the set and overreacted by the self-proclaimed "holy grail."

Jason

Republicaninmass 08-12-2016 08:54 AM

Ah one of those guys up for a cup of coffee and then disappearing into obscurity. A FEW of the descriptions seemed a bit overboard.

T206Collector 08-12-2016 11:30 AM

I was also less than thrilled about Huggins' decision to only pay for an "Auction House LOA" for a lot of the lesser known/value guys. Those are worth the paper they're printed on, IMHO....

itjclarke 08-12-2016 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My early bid help up and I ended up winning the Gehringer, an upgrade from a lower grade one. May have overpaid a bit, but love the card itself so much that a cleaner copy makes a big difference to me.

Topnotchsy 08-12-2016 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I won the Bill Dickey and the lot of 11 trimmed/cut cards that sold. I am new to the set and thought it was a nice way to jump in and get my feet wet. I was hoping to grab a Lefty O'Doul (think he's insanely underrated for his play and historical contributions to baseball related to the Japan tours etc.) but didn't love how they looked and they went for more than twice what the Dickey sold for.

Was there a reason someone might have wanted to cut the bottom of the cards in this fashion? Was it to fit an album?

Snapolit1 08-12-2016 03:22 PM

All beautiful cards. Among the best of the best.

btcarfagno 08-12-2016 03:50 PM

I was in on the lot of 11. May have been underbidder. I think you got a good deal on them, and they are definitely a good way to start collecting the signed set. You can always upgrade later, and sell these to help fund it.

Tom C

pawpawdiv9 08-12-2016 03:56 PM

Did you guys miss the CleanSweep auction? They had a few this week that ended.
Schuble
Sorrell
Marberry
Bridges
Welch
Schumacher

mechanicalman 08-12-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itjclarke (Post 1571313)
My early bid help up and I ended up winning the Gehringer, an upgrade from a lower grade one. May have overpaid a bit, but love the card itself so much that a cleaner copy makes a big difference to me.

Outstanding. My avatar and moniker might indicate I'm a bit jealous.

jerseygary 08-12-2016 06:45 PM

I was close to pulling the trigger on the Russ Van Atta, but decided to hold off for something a little nicer.

swarmee 08-12-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 1571339)
Was there a reason someone might have wanted to cut the bottom of the cards in this fashion? Was it to fit an album?

It was commonplace on some tobacco cards to cut the brand off the bottom, I'm guessing so parents could give them to children without them wanting to advertise smoking. Could have been similar reasons, but there probably wasn't much outrage against bubble gum companies.

Other possibility, if the cuts are modern: these were part of a collection in a flooded or rat-infested house, and rather than toss them in the trash, the ruined pieces were cut to remove signs of damage.

BBB 08-12-2016 10:13 PM

Huggins & Scott: Goudey Signed Cards

I'm certainly assuming prices are high due to more interest in autographed sets in general rather than anything about Goudey. Age of e commerce makes it possible to build a normal set from scratch same day. But a vintage auto set puts the hunt back in picture - which is a big driver for many .

Seeing that many up for grabs all at once is great bait to get new collectors to try grabbing a bunch to get a head start as well as anyone already building . Smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianp-beme 08-12-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 1571339)
I won the Bill Dickey and the lot of 11 trimmed/cut cards that sold. I am new to the set and thought it was a nice way to jump in and get my feet wet. I was hoping to grab a Lefty O'Doul (think he's insanely underrated for his play and historical contributions to baseball related to the Japan tours etc.) but didn't love how they looked and they went for more than twice what the Dickey sold for.

Over the years I have seen countless 1933 Goudey cards with their bottom red panel cut off. I believe in many cases it was the original (or sometimes perhaps subsequent) owner that was trying to make it match the latter series cards that did not have this panel. And once they did this the thoroughly OCD amungst them would trim off an equivalent amount on the cards that were issued without the red panel advertising, such as the Schumaker, Sewell and Alexander in the autograph lot shown, so that all the cards would be the same size

Brian

HOF Auto Rookies 08-14-2016 11:59 AM

I stare at this photo since I won it. Can't wait to stare at it when it's the card is in my hands.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...927d8268f5.jpg

Exhibitman 08-14-2016 01:05 PM

Wow those were strong prices. I guess I should be happy I got some back in the day when no one was into them.

vthobby 08-14-2016 01:12 PM

?????

Where the heck were the buyers when I listed my only one....a Billy Herman RC Signed 1933 Goudey on Ebay maybe 1 year ago or so........????? It literally went for $40 and it was BEAUTIFUL! Not even sure what I was thinking listing it as an auction but UGHHHHHHHHH~~~~!!!!!!

P\:confused::mad::eek:

Peace, Mike

HOF Auto Rookies 08-14-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1572126)
Wow those were strong prices. I guess I should be happy I got some back in the day when no one was into them.

+1. The majority of mine I got 5-9 years ago. I paid $200 for my Cochrane and $200 for my T206 Hands at Side Marquard.

Republicaninmass 08-14-2016 01:23 PM

I hear ya Mike, preaching to the choir! Signed cards have been on fire the last few years and unless there is some buying group who's going to give up pursuing them, I think they have a ways to climb.

Matt 08-14-2016 01:30 PM

Holy cow! I haven't been following prices lately - if Earl Clark pulls $13k - what does this go for (no - it's not for sale)?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Zt...=w669-h1099-no

Topnotchsy 08-14-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1572111)
I stare at this photo since I won it. Can't wait to stare at it when it's the card is in my hands.

That is huge!! Congrats on the pickup!