Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Forensic Autograph Authentication Company (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146752)

thetruthisoutthere 01-26-2012 07:05 PM

New Forensic Autograph Authentication Company

New "Forensic Autograph Authentic Company" is founded!!!!!!!!!!

http://gfaauthenticated.com/

novakjr 01-26-2012 07:10 PM

Just checked their team....Damn. I've got some balls I'd like one of their examiners to check out..

thetruthisoutthere 01-26-2012 07:19 PM

Well, well, well, Stephen Rocchi came out of retirement.

Ease 01-26-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 960570)
Just checked their team....Damn. I've got some balls I'd like one of their examiners to check out..

LOL, oh that's funny!

HRBAKER 01-26-2012 07:35 PM

This may be a good hobby for a couple of people with degrees in criminology to get into. No shortage of material here.

Me, I'm seriously thinking of becoming an "at risk youth."

Mr. Zipper 01-26-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Lol

I know what you mean. :-)

RichardSimon 01-26-2012 08:06 PM

She is not an examiner, she is a founder of the company along with Steve Rocchi.
Too bad :)

novakjr 01-26-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 960593)
She is not an examiner, she is a founder of the company along with Steve Rocchi.

Damn. You got me there... If only I could be an "at-risk youth", maybe she could help me "become compassionate"? Is that better?:D

Scott Garner 01-26-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable!! Now THATS funny!!! :p

thetruthisoutthere 01-26-2012 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found the following on the FAQ section of their website:

How can third party authentication companies authenticate so many different autographs?

To properly authenticate a signature you must have numerous exemplars to do side by side comparisons. That is why at GFA we only authenticate a limited number of autographs and have experts specialized in these signatures.

I guess one of the forensic people over at GFA specializes in the signatures of Nana Visitor & Avery Brooks. The below Avery Brooks/Nana Visitor signed photo is presently on a auction site that I will not name.

Attachment 55040

Attachment 55041

GrayGhost 01-26-2012 09:04 PM

I don't want to sound stupid here, or w/e, but why n ot give this group a chance?

Mr. Zipper 01-26-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 960612)
I found the following on the FAQ section of their website:

How can third party authentication companies authenticate so many different autographs?

To properly authenticate a signature you must have numerous exemplars to do side by side comparisons. That is why at GFA we only authenticate a limited number of autographs and have experts specialized in these signatures.

I guess one of the forensic people over at GFA specializes in the signatures of Nana Visitor & Avery Brooks. The below Avery Brooks/Nana Visitor signed photo is presently on a auction site that I will not name.

Attachment 55040

Attachment 55041

Are you implying this is a case of SSDFE?

HRBAKER 01-26-2012 09:17 PM

I see that their COA "guarantees" that the signature is genuine.
Wonder what that means if it isn't?

novakjr 01-26-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 960616)
I don't want to sound stupid here, or w/e, but why n ot give this group a chance?

a bunch of ex-cops with the founder of Global and a hot chick? With over 100 years experience, just like stated at Global..

Also check out their guarantee.

"In the event the purchaser of a GFA authenticated signature believes that the signature is not genuine with respect to GFA standards and procedures, he/she may submit the signature through the GFA “Guarantee Resubmission” service and GFA will submit the signature to an authorized 3rd party forensic authenticator for additional examination"

Why does it have to be re-subbed to them, so that they can submit it to their own choice of 3rd party forensic examiner? Who exactly will this 3rd party be? Perhaps Global?

novakjr 01-26-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 960620)

supposedly, they give you your purchase money back, or replace with an authentic item...However, see the process in order to claim the guarantee that I just posted..

Mr. Zipper 01-26-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 960620)

The FAQS indicate they send the questioned item to a third party FDE for determination. If found bad, they refund price or replace with similar item.

drc 01-26-2012 11:36 PM

I didn't get out the subtle nuances of the joke, until I checked out the team.

Scott Garner 01-27-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 960646)
i didn't get out the subtle nuances of the joke, until i checked out the team.

;)

J.McMurry 01-27-2012 05:21 AM

Jackie looks to be about 28 at most,but says she's been collecting sports for 30 years. Nice trick.

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 960622)
a bunch of ex-cops with the founder of Global and a hot chick? With over 100 years experience, just like stated at Global..

Also check out their guarantee.

"In the event the purchaser of a GFA authenticated signature believes that the signature is not genuine with respect to GFA standards and procedures, he/she may submit the signature through the GFA “Guarantee Resubmission” service and GFA will submit the signature to an authorized 3rd party forensic authenticator for additional examination"

Why does it have to be re-subbed to them, so that they can submit it to their own choice of 3rd party forensic examiner? Who exactly will this 3rd party be? Perhaps Global?

Global is not a forensic examiner. Neither is PSA or JSA or Ted Taylor. Neither am I.
We know who is.
I guess we will have to wait and find out who is their authorized 3rd party forensic authenticator.

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 06:25 AM

Their team page lists the founders, the examiners and the investigators(?).
What are the investigators for?
And another point, in the real world, forensic examination implies hours of work to examine one document or signature. It also implies much higher rates when compared to what the TPA's charge if a true forensic examination is offered.

Mr. Zipper 01-27-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 960680)
Their team page lists the founders, the examiners and the investigators(?).
What are the investigators for?
And another point, in the real world, forensic examination implies hours of work to examine one document or signature. It also implies much higher rates when compared to what the TPA's charge if a true forensic examination is offered.

The whole notion of a "forensic exam" and "forensic examiners" adding value for modern era collectibles is absurd. If the medium (ball, photostock, etc) is "of the era" and the signing implement is "of the era," what else is there to "forensically" examine? How are they "forensically examining" a Pete Rose signature in blue Sharpie on a Fuji Crystal Archive photo?

After that it is pure signature analysis, and I trust experienced collectors and dealers (and yes, PSA and JSA :p ) to be more in tune with that than some forensic examiner puffing their credentials with meaningless certificates.

mschwade 01-27-2012 07:25 AM

So from the Services page, am I to assume that to authenticate a Joe Dugan index card it will cost me the same as a Babe Ruth index card?

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschwade (Post 960700)
So from the Services page, am I to assume that to authenticate a Joe Dugan index card it will cost me the same as a Babe Ruth index card?

Based on the services page, assume that is true.

mschwade 01-27-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 960705)
Based on the services page, assume that is true.

The problem I have with that is this company is going to need to authenticate a lot of pieces at that rate to stay afloat.

novakjr 01-27-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.McMurry (Post 960669)
Jackie looks to be about 28 at most,but says she's been collecting sports for 30 years. Nice trick.

Do you mean her implants look to be about 28? She's easily in her 40's.

HRBAKER 01-27-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschwade (Post 960700)

Why shouldn't it?
Now with a "guarantee" (if it has any teeth) then I can see charging a different price bc the risk assumed is greater financially for an error but with the other companies I can't see why they should charge more for esentially the same service.

Leon 01-27-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 960593)

I will bet she is an examiner alright. It might have nothing to do with autographs but she examines!! I bet she has examined a many a base-ball.

mschwade 01-27-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 960714)
Why shouldn't it?
Now with a "guarantee" (if it has any teeth) then I can see charging a different price bc the risk assumed is greater financially for an error but with the other companies I can't see why they should charge more for esentially the same service.

What equates to a thorough examination? How much time and effort will be spent in making sure an item is authentic? If they spend just two hours on a single signed flat, they're hourly wage just went down to $5.

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 960717)
I will bet she is an examiner alright. It might have nothing to do with autographs but she examines!! I bet she has examined a many a ball.

Leon - tsk,tsk :D:D.
Terrible thing to say about such a fine looking lady :D:D.
And I do think she looks about 40ish,, but not bad for 40ish,,;)
Good to have a woman in the business though, especially one who looks like that ;).

Scott Garner 01-27-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 960712)
Do you mean her implants look to be about 28? She's easily in her 40's.

Like! Absolutely true!!

Big Six 01-27-2012 08:37 AM

I have only questions...

1. Does anyone think she's found Net54 yet?
  2. If she has, do you think she's found this thread yet?
  3. If she has, do you think she had the courage to read each post?
  4. If she has read each post, do you think she has a sense of humor?
  5. If she does have a sense of humor, that's great. But if she doesn't have a sense of humor, does anyone think she knows any martial arts?

Carry on...

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 960729)
  5. If she does have a sense of humor, that's great. But if she doesn't have a sense of humor, does anyone think she knows any martial arts?

Carry on...

1-yes
2-yes
3-yes
4-hope so
5-nah, too busy at the hairdresser to ever have learned martial arts,,, ouch did I just say that? :D:D

Leon 01-27-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 960720)
Leon - tsk,tsk :D:D.
Terrible thing to say about such a fine looking lady :D:D.
And I do think she looks about 40ish,, but not bad for 40ish,,;)
Good to have a woman in the business though, especially one who looks like that.

Richard- I was most certainly talking about baseballs. :eek:

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 960732)

Glad you clarified that, thanks :D.

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 08:49 AM

Geez, what a randy bunch of guys we are,,
Note: I did say we are, not you are ;).
But if their certs start showing up on CC, then the tone changes.

Mr. Zipper 01-27-2012 08:52 AM

In all seriousness, it's one thing to comment on the woman's obvious good looks. However, let's not get too nasty... she is someone's wife, mother, daughter...

:)

novakjr 01-27-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 960729)

Carry on...

Hopefully
Hopefully
Hopefully
Hopefully
Hopefully NOT

Honestly, when I originally posted, it was with the anticipation that it would be seen. Just planting seeds;)

novakjr 01-27-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 960732)

Yes! Yes! So was I;)

barrysloate 01-27-2012 09:18 AM

A couple of posts have already touched on what I was thinking as soon as I saw this: why is it that every authenticator has the word "forensic" somewhere in his title or company name? Is that the buzzword that adds the needed credibility to the enterprise? I've got to be honest here, I don't even know what the word "forensic" means. Is the root "foreskin", or something to that effect?

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 960749)
A couple of posts have already touched on what I was thinking as soon as I saw this: why is it that every authenticator has the word "forensic" somewhere in his title or company name? Is that the buzzword that adds the needed credibility to the enterprise? I've got to be honest here, I don't even know what the word "forensic" means. Is the root "foreskin", or something to that effect?

I wouldn't touch that foreskin comment with a 10 ft pole :D.

barrysloate 01-27-2012 09:35 AM

Did you know that forensic is an anagram of forescin? That's close enough for me.:)

J.McMurry 01-27-2012 10:33 AM

Fortyish? really?

I've been outta circulation for too long. Oh well, if she ever does read this thread, I've made a friend for life.:D

sylbry 01-27-2012 10:45 AM

Perhaps this company is trying to capitalize off of Grey Flannel's name recognition.

Grey Flannel Auctions = GFA = Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.McMurry (Post 960779)
Fortyish? really?

I've been outta circulation for too long. Oh well, if she ever does read this thread, I've made a friend for life.:D

I based the 40ish age on the bio of her on their website. She has been collectiong for over 30 years so,,,,,
Some people just have good genes and appear to be much younger than they really are, she seems to be one of those people.

novakjr 01-27-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylbry (Post 960785)
Perhaps this company is trying to capitalize off of Grey Flannel's name recognition.

Grey Flannel Auctions = GFA = Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators

Just wait 'til they gut sued by the other GFA "Graph factory Authentics"
http://myworld.ebay.com/graphfactory...id=p4340.l2559

novakjr 01-27-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 960787)
I based the 40ish age on the bio of her on their website. She has been collectiong for over 30 years so,,,,,
Some people just have good genes and appear to be much younger than they really are, she seems to be one of those people.

Agreed. Without a doubt, she is the definition of Cougar..

mr2686 01-27-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Without a doubt, she is the definition of Cougar..
Please, no jokes about petting the kitty! :D

RichardSimon 01-27-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 960803)
Please, no jokes about petting the kitty! :D

This board has gone from a PG rating to an NC-17 very quickly :D.

drc 01-27-2012 12:38 PM

Per grayghost's much earlier post, I have no pre-conception or opinion of the company.

It is interesting that just days ago people were bashing PSA/DNA and JSA for not guarantee their opinions, yet here is a company that say it will guarantee things and people are complaining about that too.

Let's not just be a board of complainers.