Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1916 World Champion Red Sox pin (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=203407)

springpin 03-22-2015 01:31 PM

1916 World Champion Red Sox pin

My latest column is on the one pin about which I have received the most questions.

baseballpinbackbuttons.wordpress.com

ooo-ribay 03-22-2015 03:48 PM

Man.....you come out of a hiatus in a big way! :p

springpin 03-22-2015 04:07 PM

About 20 years ago I struck up a conversation with a man I had just met. He appeared to be in his early-mid 70s. He concluded our conversation by saying(in reference to himself), "When I die, it will be like a library that burns to the ground---all that knowledge will be lost forever." I'm trying to share what I know while I still remember it and before the fire comes. It also helps to now be in retirement.

sporteq 03-23-2015 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul nice pin! This 1905 Athletics pin is pretty large pin.

Albert

springpin 03-24-2015 09:47 AM

Albert,

Thanks for the note. Oval baseball pins are seldom found----typically used more in football. But you are correct about the width dimension. I should have been more precise in my language, "largest round baseball pin." That 1905 beautiful A's pin is from the "Golden Era" of pinmaking. It was designed to be displayed as a work of art, not worn. They sure don't make them like that any more.

I hope you are enjoying my columns.

Paul

sporteq 03-24-2015 05:07 PM

Paul- the column is great! I'm glad your sharing all that great info. Would it be possible to see the backside of the 1916 Bo Sox pin?

That 1905 A's pin is a stunner! I love the ornate card board backing too. I belive there's only maybe half a dozen that have survived.. Does that sound correct?

Albert

springpin 03-24-2015 06:49 PM

Albert,

Sorry, not readily. The pin is locked up in a bank vault. I can tell you that it has a cardboard backing, if that is of interest to you. I lifted the image from my book.

springpin 03-24-2015 07:17 PM

Albert,

I'm sorry, I did not answer your other question. You should know by now I am generally incapable of giving a simple and short answer to any baseball pinback button question. Here is my take on the 1905 pin. Since it was originally designed to be displayed rather than worn, its chances of survival are higher. Since it is physically large, the odds of it getting lost or misplaced are lower than a small pin. I consider this pin to be almost like a small trophy. As such, the number of surviving specimens might be approached in reverse: how many were likely made? My guess is a very small number. We should also remember the Athletics were the losers of this World Series. Someone commissioned a lot of artistry despite not winning. Their manner of distribution is unknown, perhaps limited to front office people. I doubt if they were made available to the public.

I have seen only two versions of this pin: the original version with all the adornments (the one a reader posted), and just the pin minus all the adornments. So at least I will vouch for two. What is unknown is whether these pins get re-cycled among the auction houses every few years, or whether previously unknown specimens turn up. I am reminded of the old joke by Johnny Carson: there is only one fruit cake in the world. Every holiday season it gets passed off to someone else.

sporteq 03-24-2015 07:49 PM

Paul- please give us the long version.. the heck with the simple explanation.. haha. I do remember a version that come up to auction with a large chip missing out of the ornate cardboard backing. I don't recall what auction.

Albert