Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dotta auction in Pennsylvania (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=229343)

Mdmtx 10-01-2016 12:56 PM

Dotta auction in Pennsylvania

Hello,

Dotta auction services had an auction today with a focus on sports cards. If it was someone in this group that consigned with them, can you please contact me? I have some concerns I would like to discuss if so.

Mark

RobertGT 10-01-2016 04:29 PM

Hi Mark:

I was at the Dotta sale today and have been attending there for 10+ years. Jim Dotta is about as honest as they come. What are your concerns?

Rob

lgbbcards 10-01-2016 04:33 PM

I was present today and have been attending the sales for a long time. Today's sale seemed fine to me.

Mdmtx 10-01-2016 05:30 PM

I bid using their on line bidding. I had 3 different lots I was high bidder on, but they were not accepted by the auctioneer. My non winning bids were all accepted, but any that I entered that were high bid were not. I don't question the auctioneers integrity at all. I only question there use of the invaluable real time bidding. It seems as though they failed to check what the high bids were on the invaluable site a few times. In particular in the 1947-1966 exhibit lot. 1953 bowman radio and tv lot. And one lot of commons. The software accepted my bid and registered as submitted. But was never acknowledged by the auctioneer. I called invaluable and they stated what I already knew, that my bids were submitted but not acknowledged. I then called Dotta, wasn't expecting anything to change, but wanted them to know about the issue for future. Instead of being met with any appreciation or apology, the woman just proceeded to tell me it was my fault and that auctions move fast. Very poor answer. I participate in many auctions. Have for decades and decades. The fault was theirs and rather than any admission or desire to resolve for future, she wanted to ignore the root problem and cast stones. I will not participate in another Dotta auction.

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-01-2016 05:33 PM

Ask to talk to Jim next time. I've been going there for close to 20 years and I don't think he would blow you off as he doesn't want to be wasting money on this service if it isn't working properly.

skelly 10-01-2016 05:38 PM

I went once and was stunned at the prices they got on the vintage baseball lots. The did have some football and basketball cards that seemed to get soft prices, but I was shocked at how strong the baseball sales were. The buyers premium is a kicker as well. It's a much different feeling buying something and then getting another 13% added on, as opposed to getting some ebay bucks, or making a straight purchase at a show.

Mdmtx 10-01-2016 05:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback Scott, but I don't believe it was the software. I have used it on a number of auctions recently. I am guessing the auctioneer pulled the trigger before looking at the online bidding. I could definitely be mistaken, as this is just an assumption, but it is the correct one in my mind. That was the intent of the call, so they could evaluate the problem. Instead I was dismissed out of hand. On one particular item my non-recognized bid was 50 bucks I was prepared to bid at least 100. It sold for 45. How many times did this happen? Did other online bidders have the same experience? What was the cost to the consignors? We will likely never know because of the rude manner in which the lady decided to address the situation.

Republicaninmass 10-01-2016 05:50 PM

13% bp? Probably the lowest in the hobby

lgbbcards 10-01-2016 05:51 PM

There was an assistant manning the computer (internet bids) right next to the auctioneer as the lots were being auctioned off. Some online bids did win today.

lgbbcards 10-01-2016 05:52 PM

Yes, 13% is not that bad these days.

brianp-beme 10-01-2016 06:09 PM

The Brockelman auction that closes in about a week has 12-1/2% bp.

Brian

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-01-2016 06:13 PM

Birmingham Auctioneers is 10%

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-01-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdmtx (Post 1590059)
Thanks for the feedback Scott, but I don't believe it was the software. I have used it on a number of auctions recently. I am guessing the auctioneer pulled the trigger before looking at the online bidding. I could definitely be mistaken, as this is just an assumption, but it is the correct one in my mind. That was the intent of the call, so they could evaluate the problem. Instead I was dismissed out of hand. On one particular item my non-recognized bid was 50 bucks I was prepared to bid at least 100. It sold for 45. How many times did this happen? Did other online bidders have the same experience? What was the cost to the consignors? We will likely never know because of the rude manner in which the lady decided to address the situation.

I understand, and it sucks to get crap customer service, that's why I suggested asking for Jim directly. Next time I talk with him I'll mention this.