Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   cooking greens (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150087)

Runscott 04-16-2012 02:03 PM

cooking greens

I'm serious. Anyone here LOVE greens? I'll eat any type, any way: collards, beat, spinach, kale, chard....mustard are currently on the stove.

Any recipes, preferences? (thought I'd see just how far off-topic people were willing to go)

I am now sorting a complete set of '33 Goudeys, which is a perfect time to slow-cook greens.

thescooper 04-16-2012 02:21 PM

toss them in oil lightly fry them with REAL bacon bits

Leon 04-16-2012 02:45 PM

yuck

Yuck, greens stink, especially when cooking them. I will eat some fresh, non cooked, spinach on a salad but that is about it. I do like some other green vegetables that are cooked....like broccoli, asparagus and a few others. But the ones you mentioned, yuck. Besides effing liver I don't know of too much else I won't eat besides those types of cooked greens. But hey, to each their own. I like Kim-chee and almost no one likes it.

Runscott 04-16-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescooper (Post 984579)
toss them in oil lightly fry them with REAL bacon bits

Nice and simple :)

I started the current batch off with bacon 'ends'. Normally I toss some chopped up bacon in the pan and sauté some garlic and onion to get things going. Then add the greens, a little balsamic vinegar or worcestershire, smoked Spanish paprika, black pepper and salt. Works great with beet greens and/or chard.

Current batch is the 'big pot' method - started off with the 8-qt pot I just cooked green chile in, leaving some of the spicy liquid, then just dumped everything in, along with chicken broth (made from chicken bones and fat, not out of a can) and letting it simmer.

thescooper 04-17-2012 06:52 AM

BEETS? do you eat them? If so just scrub them leave the peel on and roast them in a little oil. Soooooooo sweeeeet

barrysloate 04-17-2012 08:41 AM

I eat everything, including green. Like broccoli, asparagus, spinach, string beans, peas, brussel sprouts, edamame, you name it. It's all good, and it's healthy.

Of course I eat ice cream and chocolate too, so it balances out.:o

Runscott 04-17-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescooper (Post 984663)
BEETS? do you eat them? If so just scrub them leave the peel on and roast them in a little oil. Soooooooo sweeeeet

My girlfriend peels them, cuts them up and steams. Very good, but your way sounds better. I have a pile of them, so that will be lunch :)

timzcardz 04-20-2012 10:08 AM

Nope. The only greens I prefer are in my salad and I don't cook that.

I did cook about 100 lbs of meat this past weekend though! :D

Brisket, pork butt, ribs, chicken, corned beef, pastrami. Mmmmmm!

HRBAKER 04-20-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 984584)
Yuck, greens stink, especially when cooking them. I will eat some fresh, non cooked, spinach on a salad but that is about it. I do like some other green vegetables that are cooked....like broccoli, asparagus and a few others. But the ones you mentioned, yuck. Besides effing liver I don't know of too much else I won't eat besides those types of cooked greens. But hey, to each their own. I like Kim-chee and almost no one likes it.

You can add BEETS to that list!

autograf 04-23-2012 09:55 AM

Take the beets and ANY type of greens, slice thinly and sprinkle on back yard.
Mow over them with mower.
They will slowly work into compost in the back yard.
Delicious for some varmint, but not me.

Leon, HRBaker and I will eat together..........
I SOMETIMES, just sometimes, will eat some very lightly wilted spinach but that can't really count I don't think.....I like most all other green vegetables even including brussel sprouts.

Ease 04-23-2012 11:36 AM

No one mentioned poke (polk) salad! Why this is eaten here in the south is beyond me.