Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More about my Babe Ruth autographed photo: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=261820)

clydepepper 11-06-2018 07:25 PM

More about my Babe Ruth autographed photo:

2 Attachment(s)
Last weekend, I won a Babe Ruth autographed photo in the Oldin Auction. It was described as:

BABE RUTH Single Signed 4”x5” Photo – PSA/DNA GEM MT 10 (JSA)
Presented here is a stunning photograph signed by Babe Ruth. This vintage photograph shows the inimitable Yankees slugger standing with a group of nine women behind a stack of cardboard boxes. The Babe is beaming and clad in a jacket with a large “ALL AMERICANS” patch. This photograph measures 4 x 5 inches and it has been encapsulated by PSA/DNA. Ruth has signed this photograph in bold black steel-tip fountain pen. PSA/DNA have graded Ruth’s signature an impeccable GEM MT 10 (8411489), making this photograph an instant centerpiece in any baseball collection. Additionally, this photograph comes with a LOA from JSA (X75131).

By the way, where is the ninth woman?

I found what I presume is a copy of my photo in and earlier REA auction, described as:

Circa 1943 Babe Ruth Signed Photo
Babe Ruth was an American icon whose contributions to the country were not limited to his exploits on the field. This original candid wartime photo (4-7/8 x 4 inches) captures Babe Ruth standing in front of a pile of boxes, flanked on either side by group of women. Ruth has magnificently signed the photo in black fountain pen (grading "9") in the foreground. A vintage ink notation on the reverse reads, "Thoughts from Home pkgs, for men in service." This photograph captures Ruth, who is wearing a patriotic "All American" jacket, donating his time to a group of World War II volunteers who were sending care packages to servicemen overseas. The photo has a very minor tear in the upper left corner, as well as a number of light corner and border creases. Very Good condition overall. LOA from James Spence/JSA.

Can I assume that my photo is just an additional take from the same photo op and that the autograph is therefore legit?

Here is the Oldin followed by the REA:

familytoad 11-06-2018 07:35 PM

Far left, mostly obscured by a lady in the front.

Or, of course...in the boxes:eek:

doug.goodman 11-06-2018 07:35 PM

It looks like the same photo to me.

But the signatures are different, so there is no reason that he couldn't have signed two of them.

If we assume that the people who get paid for their opinions know what they are talking about, then they are both real.

Doug

PS - the 9th woman? Cut up and put in the boxes.

clydepepper 11-06-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1825306)
It looks like the same photo to me.

But the signatures are different, so there is no reason that he couldn't have signed two of them.

If we assume that the people who get paid for their opinions know what they are talking about, then they are both real.

Doug

PS - the 9th woman? Cut up and put in the boxes.

My photo shows a third window frame to the right...growing by 1/8 inch in the descriptions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytoad (Post 1825305)

I saw that 'mass' but either she doesn't have legs and is just hovering, or its something else like a shrub or a lion-type statuette.

keithsky 11-06-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytoad (Post 1825305)

First case of photo bomb:D

Jobu 11-06-2018 08:43 PM

I can see everyone in the picture having gotten a photo printed and signed, so I see no reason why there can't be two (or more) of this. The one on the right was just trimmed down.

BTW - how long did it take to get photos printed back then? Whenever I see a signed photo with fans I wonder whether they hustled to get them printed and got them signed right away or whether they had to mail the picture to the player later.

Also, there is definitely a woman behind the woman on the far left. Check the left leg of the woman in front - there are two more legs behind hers - you can see the white sock on the obscured woman's left leg.

drcy 11-06-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1825325)
I can see everyone in the picture having gotten a photo printed and signed, so I see no reason why there can't be two (or more) of this. The one on the right was just trimmed down.

BTW - how long did it take to get photos printed back then? Whenever I see a signed photo with fans I wonder whether they hustled to get them printed and got them signed right away or whether they had to mail the picture to the player later.

Also, there is definitely a woman behind the woman on the far left. Check the left leg of the woman in front - there are two more legs behind hers - you can see the white sock on the obscured woman's left leg.

That's what I was thinking. Multiple people posing with him in the photo, so it would make sense for him to sign multiple copies for them.

They're pretty great images.