Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173599)

edhans 08-06-2013 08:15 AM

Re: Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died

Bruce and I had recently discussed a transaction that never came to fruition. The correspondence was always cordial and respectful. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him in person. The hobby will miss his passion and knowlwdge.

slidekellyslide 08-06-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1167309)
I had a mixed, strange relationship with Bruce as the moderator of the board. Whenever the other 3 moderators and myself would discuss Bruce, and discuss his membership after an escapade, it was usually 3 to 1, with me being the 1 that wanted to keep him on the board. Yet, Bruce usually looked at me as a foe, I wasn't. I was usually on his side, though admittedly it was tough sometimes. I am happy to say Bruce was in good standing on the board up to his day of passing. What an interesting character he was. He was certainly one of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby pertaining to the history of the hobby. We'll miss you Bruce. My condolences to Barry, Corey, other friends and family. RIP Bruces :(

Ha! Yes, I can vouch for those votes...interesting talks those were. I'm glad that his last few posts to the board were not bomb throwing debacles.

Here's the Bruce I wish we all could have known

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4eV...KjP9w&index=79

Al C.risafulli 08-06-2013 08:33 AM

The only time I met Bruce in person was at a dinner at Rob Lifson's; I sat in a room with Bruce and Jay Miller and just quietly listened to their conversation, marveling at how much knowledge Bruce had about hobby history. He was a virtual encyclopedia of early collectors.

We corresponded via email several times and he was always cordial, despite the fact that we did not always see eye to eye on the board.

Sad news to read this morning, coming back from the National. Condolences to his family.

-Al

jp1216 08-06-2013 08:36 AM

Dan,
Nice youtube find. RIP Bruce.

barrysloate 08-06-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli (Post 1167326)
The only time I met Bruce in person was at a dinner at Rob Lifson's; I sat in a room with Bruce and Jay Miller and just quietly listened to their conversation, marveling at how much knowledge Bruce had about hobby history. He was a virtual encyclopedia of early collectors.

We corresponded via email several times and he was always cordial, despite the fact that we did not always see eye to eye on the board.

Sad news to read this morning, coming back from the National. Condolences to his family.

-Al

That was a nice evening Al. I remember it well.

canjond 08-06-2013 08:58 AM

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of having lunch/dinner with Bruce on many occasions here in NYC. As others have mentioned, his real life persona was very different (IMO) than his online persona, and I always found him to be a nice guy with incredible baseball knowledge.

RIP

sando69 08-06-2013 08:58 AM

Bruce Dorskind- May Your Soul Rest in Peace

always felt that bruce was a much different individual than the persona he portrayed on this board.
i am truly sorry that i never got to meet nor speak with bruce.
my sincerest condolences for our loss.

glchen 08-06-2013 09:46 AM

RIP Bruce. Condolences to family and friends.

Rich Klein 08-06-2013 09:47 AM

I only met Bruce once

that I can remember and he was nothing like he posted on the board. He was passionate and wanted the best items and nothing wrong with that such as Mr. Kendrick's collection.

But the funniest story I have on Bruce is I once posted, hey I miss Bruce's posts and it turned out at literally THAT Very minute I posted, he was being reinstated. Leon still thinks I talked to the other mods but no -- that was just a pure accident of timing

Will avoid anythikng negative, since he can not defend himself any more and anything bad to say would be a real cheap shot

Rich

7nohitter 08-06-2013 09:48 AM

Great youtube video...the Boston Garter story was very interesting!

RIP to Bruce.