Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Show...me...your print variations! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187722)

Sliphorn 10-16-2015 09:23 AM

Anderson

Sammy:

The Anderson WAS the card I was questioning. For some reason this thread posts replies at the very end, leaving all to wonder what the question was about. I appreciate the answer. Thanks.

Cliff Bowman 10-21-2015 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't been this sick from missing out on an eBay buy-it-now in quite a while, it sold for $8 + $3 shipping. It's bad enough that it had three yellow name variations, look at the card on the bottom row...

ALR-bishop 10-22-2015 08:44 AM

Pryor

The 80 set sure has a bunch of print defects. For Pryor ( I have a Doug Bair like it) I have one of the no names, plus the position in both white and yellow. For the yellow names, which despite early notoriety are just print defects, I have Braun, Stanley,Washington, Wathan, McEnaney, and Poquette. I haved a Trammel with a yellow halo around his name. Only Wathan, Stanley, Braun and Poquete, along with Pryor, made it into SCD. Anyone else have other yellow names ? I have lots of banner and other print defects in my set

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...variations.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...psa0a7d5b9.jpg

4reals 10-23-2015 07:22 PM

1961 topps variation

1 Attachment(s)
1961 Dodgers Southpaws back variations with green ink bleeding in the corner

Sliphorn 10-25-2015 11:55 AM

1961 #332 Dotterer

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a new wrinkle on this one.

MikeGarcia 10-26-2015 11:57 AM

1957 Topps Slightly Off-Center

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...SKUTTS_NEW.JPG

....In order to build a complete but decently-centered 1957 Topps set several years ago , I wound up buying several large collections and a few partial sets in order to cut down on the eventual cost......these are among the worst backs I culled , and I'm offering them for your viewing pleasure.....enjoy...

..neat thing about the Walker Cooper card : no space left for any comments after posting his major league statistics.....only card in the set like that....the Ted Williams card would have been the same except that they compressed the stats for "1943-1945" into one line , commenting on his military service...

ALR-bishop 10-26-2015 02:18 PM

Maybe because of DPs, but even on correctly cut 57s you can find the same card with different relationships between the baseball stitching and the numbers on the back. For example on one card the stitching may touch or even protrude into the number but on a different card of the same player there is a gap between the stitching and the number. I don't have an example currently scanned but picked up a couple after sliphorn here on the board pointed some out to me.

sliphorn, like saved and Cliff, needs more diversions in his life :-)

steve B 10-27-2015 11:15 AM

The relation between the number and stitching is probably a registration thing.
Not that it couldn't be different, and considering Topps attention to detail probably is.

The place to look would be the relation of the number to the rest of the red. If it's located differently there it's not registration. *

Steve B
*Ok, it could technically be registration IF Topps printed the numbers and the rest of the red separately. No reason they would, and I've never seen any thing to make me think they did, but ....it IS Topps :D

Sliphorn 10-30-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1465343)
Maybe because of DPs, but even on correctly cut 57s you can find the same card with different relationships between the baseball stitching and the numbers on the back. For example on one card the stitching may touch or even protrude into the number but on a different card of the same player there is a gap between the stitching and the number. I don't have an example currently scanned but picked up a couple after sliphorn here on the board pointed some out to me.

sliphorn, like saved and Cliff, needs more diversions in his life :-)

You are correct about needing more diversions in my life. Sliphorn

Sliphorn 11-04-2015 06:31 PM

Two More Anomalies

2 Attachment(s)
The 1964 #76 has a small vertical line to the left of #44 and this is the common as I have seen 10 with it and just this one without the line.

The 1964 #13 Phillies team has many of these cards with this line kind of faded out at the lower left. They are all over the place on eBay and COMC.

ALR-bishop 11-04-2015 08:38 PM

1964 on 76

Sliphorn 11-11-2015 07:41 AM

Comc

I wanted to alert variations and errors collectors that, for the second time, I did not receive the card from Check Out My Cards that was shown. It was a Deans card. The reply I got from COMC was:

We were able to follow up on this card with Dean's. The copy of the card had double sold. When this happens, Dean's sends a copy with the same or higher grade to replace it. If you are unhappy with the card, please return it for a full refund.

Here is an example with 1957 #119 STan Lopata:

COMC item # 19525890
eBay 1957 Topps #119 Stan Lopata GOOD N17599

Tell me that this is not the same card.

I hope that none of you gets cheated with this.

brightair 11-11-2015 01:42 PM

variation

Slip,
Did they alert you it was not the card you bought, or did you have to discover this on your own?
I have bought some cards from COMC, variations that I discovered, and when I got the card, I couldn't figure out why I had bought it. I always wondered if they slipped me a different card...but haven't been able to prove it yet. I need to keep better records.
Richard D

savedfrommyspokes 11-11-2015 02:54 PM

With both COMC and our own BST, I have learned that when I buy a card(s), I right click and save the image....makes it easy to go back when things do not match up.

ALR-bishop 11-11-2015 03:13 PM

Forgetting why I ordered a particular card

Glad it is not just me Richard. Also, I put any variant I get in with my sets in an overlay sheet. A few years back I went through all my sets and put a label on each variant pointing out what the variant was. It took a long time on some to figure out what the difference was:o

bnorth 11-11-2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1471618)
With both COMC and our own BST, I have learned that when I buy a card(s), I right click and save the image....makes it easy to go back when things do not match up.

That is good advice Saved I do it also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1471625)
Glad it is not just me Richard. Also, I put any variant I get in with my sets in an overlay sheet. A few years back I went through all my sets and put a label on each variant pointing out what the variant was. It took a long time on some to figure out what the difference was:o

I think all us weird oddball print error collectors have done that way too many times to remember. I know I do it on a regular basis, I always think about labeling them but never do.

Sliphorn 11-11-2015 05:27 PM

Reply to Bright Air

I discovered it on my own as soon as I opened the pack of cards I had bought and saw that it was not correct. I emailed about it and got the run around.

brightair 11-12-2015 08:57 PM

Thanks Slip, good to know we need to watch out for ourselves on this.
Al - yes, I put my variations in separate pages in my binders with labels on each. Some years now, the variations beginning to rival the regular issues!!
Good advice also to save photo of bought card to protect ourselves. I will try to do that.
Richard D

Cliff Bowman 11-18-2015 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The 1965 Topps #418 Johnny Edwards can be found three ways, the normal common card, a version with a yellow stripe along the bottom that is less common but can be found, and a third version with the yellow stripe and breaks in the red ink of the "E" and the "D" of REDS which is very difficult to find.

Sliphorn 11-21-2015 12:03 PM

Two More

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more examples of printing issues.

brightair 11-21-2015 01:12 PM

1965 418

Cliff,
There are also variations wherein there is a red smear above and left of hat on front, and also several variations of a white ball either behind cartoon back or over end of cartoon bat on reverse.

Cliff Bowman 11-21-2015 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brightair (Post 1474951)
Cliff,
There are also variations wherein there is a red smear above and left of hat on front, and also several variations of a white ball either behind cartoon back or over end of cartoon bat on reverse.

I'll be darned, I learn something new every day.

JollyElm 11-21-2015 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This 1972 Stennett is pretty easy to locate. It comes in both a 'regular' version and a white slash (and other white aberrations) in the area below the 'PI' in 'PIRATES' version.

Attachment 212580

What's funny is there's also a weird printing defect on all versions of this card. A dark, arcing shape originates from the left picture border and crosses over his wrist and into his mitt.

moeson 11-22-2015 12:29 PM

1967 #291 Hannan

I believe this one is "new". 1967 Jim Hannan with and w/o a black dot in the upper left border sky. Both versions appear to be equally available on eBay.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...pscjgdr9gd.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4mrsaj4h.jpg

steve B 11-22-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1475071)
What's funny is there's also a weird printing defect on all versions of this card. A dark, arcing shape originates from the left picture border and crosses over his wrist and into his mitt.

That would be his shadow.

Is the left card really that dark blue? I don't think I've seen that sort of color on a 72. Pretty neat if it is.

Steve B

Cliff Bowman 11-22-2015 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1475242)

Steve B

He means the arcing line that starts on the left border of the photo and runs through his right wrist into his glove. It should be easier to see in this scan.

JollyElm 11-22-2015 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1475242)

Is the left card really that dark blue? I don't think I've seen that sort of color on a 72. Pretty neat if it is.

Steve B

No, it's not his shadow. What are you talking about????

Here's a closeup…

Attachment 212643

steve B 11-22-2015 04:57 PM

Ah ok, that wasn't visible at all in the two original scans.

Steve B

Cliff Bowman 11-22-2015 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1966 Topps #202 Clay Dalrymple with a "pie face", I've only seen three of them since I found out about it a few years ago.

Sliphorn 11-25-2015 05:29 PM

1956 #108 Laurin Pepper Collection

2 Attachment(s)
Notice the varieties of yellow paint on these. It is weird that they should be so different. The small arrows point out the vagaries.

Cliff Bowman 12-01-2015 09:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The 1966 Topps #73 Jerry Zimmerman can be found with a "green streak" and breaks in the border in the lower left corner. I have seen at least four different versions with varying degrees of the size of the green streak and the border breaks. John Tsitouris was to the left of it on the printing sheet and can be found with a border break.

ALR-bishop 12-03-2015 10:40 AM

Variants

Another Edwards with a red mark, and another Stinnet with more whites stuff. And Pepper with a green mark over auto

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1449077950
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54e4f17d.jpg

moeson 12-04-2015 02:30 PM

63 Veale

I just noticed this 63 Topps Veale "rainbow" sky:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...ps66itmusl.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04jriczm.jpg

savedfrommyspokes 12-07-2015 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found these two copies of this 75 Ed Sprague card with the side red border areas sloped instead of level ...The Lou Piniella and Wilbur Wood cards are on either side, but did not see any copies of either that match the slope seen on the Sprague card.

Cliff Bowman 12-07-2015 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1479692)
Found these two copies of this 75 Ed Sprague card with the side red border areas sloped instead of level ...The Lou Piniella and Wilbur Wood cards are on either side, but did not see any copies of either that match the slope seen on the Sprague card.

Good eye! I bought the Piniella a few years ago on eBay for a ridiculously high price, but I didn't know what to make of it. I never thought of checking who was next to it on the printing sheet. There should be a 1975 Topps Fergie Jenkins with this flaw at least on the right side. I found the Wood on COMC tonight.

savedfrommyspokes 12-08-2015 07:13 AM

Cliff, I did see that Wood on COMC, but the slope did not seem be as steep as on the Sprague card. The Piniella is an interesting card as it appears to have some extra red ink on face....could this be the cause of the red slopes along these borders?

savedfrommyspokes 12-08-2015 03:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Recurring/limited blue print line on front of this 70 Qualls card.....Sean will be happy that he has both.

Cliff Bowman 12-08-2015 09:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1479864)
Cliff, I did see that Wood on COMC, but the slope did not seem be as steep as on the Sprague card. The Piniella is an interesting card as it appears to have some extra red ink on face....could this be the cause of the red slopes along these borders?

1970 through 1981 Topps were notorious for being plagued with over inking, I would imagine that's what caused the sloping on those 1975 cards.

ALR-bishop 12-09-2015 07:58 AM

Print anamolies

Cliff-- you should send all those back to Topps and ask for your money back

savedfrommyspokes 12-13-2015 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I recently noticed this recurring "factory" notation on the left edge of the 63Freehan card....it is even visible on the more centered copy. Any ideas on what the "CP" stands for?

Cliff Bowman 12-13-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1480170)
Cliff-- you should send all those back to Topps and ask for your money back

You first. :D

Sliphorn 12-14-2015 09:10 AM

Comedian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1481401)
You first. :D

I did not know Al was such a comedian. Is Vegas on the horizon?

JollyElm 12-15-2015 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used way o/c top to bottom examples to illustrate the variation more plainly, but you can find them in relatively minor o/c examples, too. This Mays checklist (non-long-neck version) can be found with and without that horizontal line at bottom left...

Attachment 214998

savedfrommyspokes 12-19-2015 03:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have not seen this recurring bottom border break on this 63 #4 LL card mentioned/shown before....not quite as bad as the missing border seen on the 63#5 LL card.

Rookiemonster 12-19-2015 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1959 Clem labine fireball

4reals 12-26-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1483293)
1959 Clem labine fireball

Looks like a partial stamp possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savedfrommyspokes 01-05-2016 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have not seen this recurring green streaking on this 72 Ellis IA card mentioned before.....

ALR-bishop 01-20-2016 11:19 AM

Variations versus print defects

Saw one of the 67 Bob Bolin variants being offered on ebay for a very large sum in a PSA slab. I know the "variation" has been listed in SCD for awhile. To me it is interesting how some recurring print defects achieve hobby recognition while others do not. I get that some like the Herrer and Bakep made it in before ebay and the internet made spotting print defects so much easier. But PSA's fairly ( no pun intended) recent recognition of the 61 Fairly with the green in the ball on the back apparently indicates luck, persistence or customer status can get you hobby recognition for an oddball card

There has been a guy trying to sell two of the 52 Campos cards with the missing front border on ebay for astronomical sums for some time. I picked up one years ago for virtually nothing. It is more dramatic then the black star version, and maybe scarcer as well. I hope he gets it recognized because then every 52 master collector will have to have it, and the price will take off :).

Does anyone know if the editors at SCD or Beckett have made any pronouncements on what they would recognize as a variation, or do they just know one when they see it

Rookiemonster 01-20-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 1484914)
Looks like a partial stamp possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave this card it own thread and some one found one on eBay .
If you check eBay there are a few with a green Bloch in the same spot .

1966CUDA 01-21-2016 07:09 AM

Print variations

1 Attachment(s)
Just found two 1970 Marichal cards with a blue line under the "SCO" in San Francisco. Not sure how common this one is.
-Claude