Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

thetahat 03-07-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2417905)
The Twins was only made without a photo. The dated version you have for the Twins is a difficult pennant, especially in good condition because of the fabric. There was only one game at Metropolitan Stadium and the Twins lost and the series was over. All of the unsold stock of Twins pennants, they snipped the 1969 off and sold them in 1970. That is why you oftentimes see the snipped one more often. The snipped ones were common for a while as there was a find, but they have all pretty much dried up and been absorbed in to collections.

I don't believe there was ever a Braves version made either with or without the photo. Atlanta was opposite end of the country from Minnesota and the Braves lost three straight and were gone.

That’s interesting, thanks for info. Rob, here’s a forked tip example to which Jason refers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30467328830...mis&media=COPY

ooo-ribay 03-07-2024 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2418060)
That’s interesting, thanks for info. Rob, here’s a forked tip example to which Jason refers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30467328830...mis&media=COPY

Ingenious....I guess. :cool:

doug.goodman 03-07-2024 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2417242)
I agree with Hank. That’s the one thing that people tend to forget (and I’m guilty too) about collectibles - There is no absolute when it comes to value. Value is a magical number decided upon between a seller and a buyer. Every seller and every buyer may come up with different numbers from sale to sale to sale, depending on any number of factors.

As a seller I have to decide what is my “let it go” price and a buyer has to decide what is there “buy price”. If we do not agree on a number hopefully we can find somewhere in between.

Here’s an example - Would I sell my car for a $1.00? No. Now, would I sell my car for $1 million? Yes. Now I have a value range. Would I sell for $500,000? For $100,000? Would I sell for $20,000?

People throw around comps and eBay sold prices and such, but these are numbers decided upon by other people for their items based on their comfort level in buying and selling. That’s not me.

To me it’s no different than when people ask me why would I send a $5 card in for grading? Who says it’s a $5 card? What does it matter to anyone else what my card is worth or what I choose to do with it?

Agreed.

But why would you send a $5 card in for grading?

Insert smiley face here.

Doug

Vintagedeputy 03-08-2024 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2418185)
Agreed.

But why would you send a $5 card in for grading?

Insert smiley face here.

Doug

:)

I know you’re joking, but I’ll answer that. I’ll send it in because other people’s thoughts on value mean nothing to me. I don’t collect for money, I collect for enjoyment. If paying $15 to slab that perceived $5 card brings me joy, so be it.

bocca001 03-08-2024 01:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
30+ years of Santa Clara collecting and I've never seen this pennant. A member of the Vintage Football Community (VFC) saw it (and the St. Mary's) in an Oklahoma antique mall and got them for me. The Santa Clara and St. Mary's almost certainly came from the same owner, who got them at the same game (and later ended up in Oklahoma). Santa Clara and St. Mary's were rivals, playing in the "Little Big Game" every year. It would just be too random to have them shown up side by side in an OK antique mall 80+ years later.

Pretty sure they are both Epstein. I've included a pic of a similar Colgate Epstein labeled pennant at the end (not mine).

ooo-ribay 03-08-2024 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2418320)
30+ years of Santa Clara collecting and I've never seen this pennant. A member of the Vintage Football Community (VFC) saw it (and the St. Mary's) in an Oklahoma antique mall and got them for me. The Santa Clara and St. Mary's almost certainly came from the same owner, who got them at the same game (and later ended up in Oklahoma). Santa Clara and St. Mary's were rivals, playing in the "Little Big Game" every year. It would just be too random to have them shown up side by side in an OK antique mall 80+ years later.

Pretty sure they are both Epstein. I've included a pic of a similar Colgate Epstein labeled pennant at the end (not mine).

Very cool that someone snagged that for you. I wish I had eyes throughout the country! :p

Hankphenom 03-08-2024 05:08 PM

Quote:

30+ years of Santa Clara collecting and I've never seen this pennant. A member of the Vintage Football Community (VFC) saw it (and the St. Mary's) in an Oklahoma antique mall and got them for me. The Santa Clara and St. Mary's almost certainly came from the same owner, who got them at the same game (and later ended up in Oklahoma). Santa Clara and St. Mary's were rivals, playing in the "Little Big Game" every year. It would just be too random to have them shown up side by side in an OK antique mall 80+ years later. Pretty sure they are both Epstein. I've included a pic of a similar Colgate Epstein labeled pennant at the end (not mine).

Terrific graphics on all those!

Domer05 03-08-2024 08:59 PM

Quote:

Marc: You're correct. I believe this was part of an offering I named the "kicked football series" offered by Epstein Novelty Co. during the 1940s and 1950s. For more, see https://pennantfactory.weebly.com/bl...ein-novelty-co

vintagesportscollector 03-08-2024 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Kyle, similar to your polychromatic ND pennant shown, this Cornell pennant was sold on eBay recently (although the detail is not as nice as the ND pennant). Not mine, but I know who won it. Likewise it is extremely rare, I’ve never seen another.

Ribbens 03-09-2024 03:27 PM

BF3 Type 1 baseball pennants framed lot of 9

1 Attachment(s)
Recent purchase of a custom framed lot of 9 baseball Type 1 pennants. Wes Ferrell, Larry French, Al Lopez, Paul Waner,Bill Dickey,Joe Cronin,Rip Collins,JImmy Dykes, Joe Stripp. Some damage to a couple of ends and pin holes. Overall nice lot.