Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show your Tobacco, Candy, Gum, Bread, etc. advertisement pieces (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179996)

bobfreedman 11-10-2019 04:55 PM

Sure Shot

1 Attachment(s)
I would love to find the side pieces to this tri-fold

tedzan 11-10-2019 08:03 PM

Show your Tobacco, Candy, Gum, Bread, etc. advertisement pieces

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1930211)
One trivia fact is Branca had lost the first game of the 3 game playoff and had given up a homer to Thompson in that game. The other ironic fact is Branca was wearing number 13 that year so he decided maybe it was unlucky and changed it the next year to number 12.

David

Your first answer about the 1st play-off game's HR by Thomson off Branca is one of the answers I'm looking for.

Your 2nd answer is true; however, it's not the answer I'm looking for.

So try again....there is more irony in the correct 2nd answer than there is in the 1st answer.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-10-2019 09:03 PM

Ted, I’m not sure it’s ironic, but I read a biography of Willie Mays last year and learned that he was on deck when Thompson hit it. First base was open, and Willie was not having much recent success against Branch.

Also, I think I read that was the first nationally televised baseball game?

GasHouseGang 11-11-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1930287)
David

Your first answer about the 1st play-off game's HR by Thomson off Branca is one of the answers I'm looking for.

Your 2nd answer is true; however, it's not the answer I'm looking for.

So try again....there is more irony in the correct 2nd answer than there is in the 1st answer.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

I have a couple of guesses. First guess is if Branca had chosen to walk Thompson since he had already homered off of him, who was the rookie on deck? Willie Mays!
Second guess, who was the league leading RBI hitter that made the first and only out of the 9th inning by popping up? Monte Irvin.

jefferyepayne 11-11-2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1927934)
Obak Cigarettes advertising is pretty tough to come buy. Very happy with this recent addition!

http://photos.imageevent.com/threetw...canvas%202.jpg

Love this item, Tony!

jeff

3-2-count 11-11-2019 05:09 AM

Hi Jeff. Good to hear from you.

Thank you my friend!

tedzan 11-11-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1930305)
Ted, I’m not sure it’s ironic, but I read a biography of Willie Mays last year and learned that he was on deck when Thompson hit it. First base was open, and Willie was not having much recent success against Branch.

Also, I think I read that was the first nationally televised baseball game?

John

It is not the answer I'm looking for, but you bring up a good point. With the tying runs on bases (Lockman and Hartung), Chuck
Dressen (Dodgers Mgr.) should've told Branca to intentionally Walk Thomson. Then perhaps, Willie would have been the "hero".

Incidentally, this was not the 1st televised BB game. I can attest to that because we bought our TV in 1950, and I watched many
BB games on TV that year.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

Shoeless Moe 11-11-2019 04:44 PM

The Giants also won their last regular season home game on a walkoff.

tedzan 11-11-2019 09:13 PM

OK guys, it appears that the 2nd part of this two part trivia question has proven to be a tough one.

I will give this one more day for some one on this forum to arrive at the correct answer. Hint.... it's
one of those things in life that makes you wonder.

Thanks for responding,

TED Z

T206 Reference

GasHouseGang 11-11-2019 10:30 PM

I'm not sure if this is what your thinking of, but despite the high stakes, it was a relatively-disappointing crowd that attended the game. There was a threat of rain and the Giants lost the previous game 10-0, so only 34,320 fans were in attendance. The no-shows missed one of the most legendary games in baseball history.