Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

bocca001 09-20-2023 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice, Rob. Looks like the spines got switched on your two pennants : )

Looking for these variations keeps me entertained and I pick them up every so often when the price is right.

The orange with orange spine is particularly bad with respect to quality control. Really bad cuts. They seem hastily made. I picked up this new (to me) one a few weeks ago. The cut is ok, but the pennant material is bunched near the spine.

perezfan 09-20-2023 06:56 PM

Are the ones with the muddied/less detailed graphics remakes? They sure look cheaper, and the stiff bunched up "felt" looks post-1970.

I know the Polo Grounds one is a remake... I'm asking about the orange ones with the people worshipping at the feet of the "Giant".

bocca001 09-20-2023 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good question, Mark. Seems to me like that Giants pennant was made for years. Maybe the poorest made ones were just at the end of the line? Some do seem post MLB licensure, so not sure whether Adflag just keep making them anyway, or if some bootleg operation started making them.

Here is the orange version of the Astros (also rather rare), with similar quality issues. Also Adflag (if I remember correctly). So that makes me wonder if there was some bootleg maker out there with an affinity for Adflag designs? Or they just ended up with the screens? Or ???

ooo-ribay 09-21-2023 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2374624)
Are the ones with the muddied/less detailed graphics remakes? They sure look cheaper, and the stiff bunched up "felt" looks post-1970.

I know the Polo Grounds one is a remake... I'm asking about the orange ones with the people worshiping at the feet of the "Giant".

Since we have no oversized 1910's pennants to talk about, let's discuss these stiff orange things a little more..

First of all, is the original "crowd at feet" Giants pennant AdFlag? It kind of seems that way, but Kyle does not show it in his blog. I actually kind of like this pennant, with the adoring crowd of men, women and a kid. All it's missing is a dog! Kyle does show Marc's Astos pennant as being AdFlag.

Now, for the stiff orange things.. besides the orange "crowd at feet" and New York Giants "Giant in the Polo Grounds," there's also this one. It's a remake of a non-AdFlag (Trench?). This one is available for the bargain price of $99.99. :p These three are, obviouly, all Giants. Were they done with other teams/designs? I don't think AdFlag did them because Kyle says AdFlag was out of the sports pennant business in the mid 60s. These seem later.

Speaking of Kyle...I'm jonesing for some new content on Pennant Fever. I know he's busy but he teased an article on AMCO(?).

ooo-ribay 09-21-2023 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2374809)

Now, for the stiff orange things.. besides the orange "crowd at feet" and New York Giants "Giant in the Polo Grounds," there's also this one. It's a remake of a non-AdFlag (Trench?). This one is available for the bargain price of $99.99. :p These three are, obviouly, all Giants. Were they done with other teams/designs?

Maybe Marc;s Astros pennant answers my question. But his has the graphics in blue paint. The Giants are all heavy black paint. BTW, here's the original Giants:

UKCardGuy 09-22-2023 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Changing topic a bit, I saw this Tigers pennant listed. I've seen this pennant with white accents on the tiger and the lettering. Anyone seen a plain variation like this before?

ser1979 09-22-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2375035)
Changing topic a bit, I saw this Tigers pennant listed. I've seen this pennant with white accents on the tiger and the lettering. Anyone seen a plain variation like this before?

I've only seen this version one other time come up for sale. The ebay seller of this pennant has some nice Tiger pennants but they are overpriced IMO.

perezfan 09-22-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ser1979 (Post 2375060)
I've only seen this version one other time come up for sale. The ebay seller of this pennant has some nice Tiger pennants but they are overpriced IMO.

What do you mean?? He's only built a $1,200.00 profit into that one! :rolleyes:

ser1979 09-22-2023 12:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Need help from the cleaning experts on this one. Picked up this 74 team pennant the other day. Been cleaning with water / bleach mixture and so far its done pretty good at getting the brown out. Issue I have is the photo was so bad I had to cut it out and there are some stains that just won't go away. I've tried using retro clean on the stains with no luck. Before I go to just straight bleach does anyone else have a suggestion. I only paid $25 for it so if I ruin it I wont be heart broken.

ooo-ribay 09-22-2023 12:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oxyclean? Soak it in the tub. No need to remove the spine.