Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My experience with LOTG (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249878)

vintagetoppsguy 01-12-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1737739)
What do you think now?

The ball is in your court. What do you think now?

slipk1068 01-12-2018 02:56 PM

zoinks

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738069)
The ball is in your court. What do you think now?

I think the postmark is dated for the same day this thread was started at 8:30 PM. So I think without question the check was mailed before this thread was started. Unless you know of a post office open that late.

So now please tell me what does Al gain by not sending out a lot of common T206 cards. And I can only think that with you keeping this conspiracy going that you, Orlando and perhaps the OP who is sending you scans of the envelope must think he was getting a brown Old Mill card in that lot.

Edited to add: I didn’t include Jake Lieberman because I’m not even sure he knows what he thinks. What law school allowed that guy to graduate???

vintagetoppsguy 01-12-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1738089)
I think the postmark is dated for the same day this thread was started at 8:30 PM. So I think without question the check was mailed before this thread was started. Unless you know of a post office open that late.

So now please tell me what does Al gain by not sending out a lot of common T206 cards. And I can only think that with you keeping this conspiracy going that you, Orlando and perhaps the OP who is sending you scans of the envelope must think he was getting a brown Old Mill card in that lot.

But wait just a minite, Dan. In Al's initial response, he said he mailed out the check on Decemver 29th. When you start off with a lie, everything else gets discredited.

botport 01-12-2018 04:05 PM

SlideKelly

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1738089)

Edited to add: I didn’t include Jake Lieberman because I’m not even sure he knows what he thinks. What law school allowed that guy to graduate???

Hold up. I posted the scan of the check in the thread. Because that is what I said I would do. If you have something to say about me, at least be right about it.

Frank Horvath

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 04:09 PM

Frank, I apologize, I did not see that you had posted the envelope back upstream where you placed a holder.

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738092)
But wait just a minite, Dan. In Al's initial response, he said he mailed out the check on Decemver 29th. When you start off with a lie, everything else gets discredited.

The check was mailed from a USPS mailbox. Who knows when that mail got picked up. Either way the check was still mailed before this thread was started. Now please tell me what you think happened. What did Al have to gain?

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1738099)
The check was mailed from a USPS mailbox. Who knows when that mail got picked up. Either way the check was still mailed before this thread was started. Now please tell me what you think happened. What did Al have to gain?

I am not seeing the conspiracy either, but just to be OCD about it, don't letters get postmarked at the all hours sort facilities and not the local PO? And in any case people at the local PO work long past when the counter closes. And Dan come on, are we really to add to the chain of crazy events here a letter sitting in a mailbox not picked up for 10 days? I guess anything is possible.

buymycards 01-12-2018 04:31 PM

Letter

Most Post Offices do not cancel or date the mail. The mail is sent to a sorting facility. In the case of my former PO (I am now retired), the sorting facility was 120 miles away. If I mail a letter on the 8th, it will be postmarked on on the 9th. In this case, the 7th was a Sunday. I would guess the letter was mailed on Fri the 5th or Sat the 6th in order for it to receive a postmark on the 8th. It is possible that it was mailed and postmarked on the 8th, but not likely.

I wonder what date is on the check?

Rick

vintagetoppsguy 01-12-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1738100)
I am not seeing the conspiracy either...

Last night, a board member emailed me a pic - a pic they said would corroborate Al's story. They asked me not to share it publically. Well, I'm a man of integrity and I haven't shared it publically or privately - not even a description of the pic. I kept it totally to myself. Here's the kicker. The pic that was supposed to corroborate Al's story, actually shreds it to pieces.

Post the damn pic and let's end this.

It's funny how so many people came to Al's defense, but the two that could have confirmed everything - the member that got the 10 cards by mistake and the other member that got the OM and damaged it - well we haven't heard from them at all. Nobody else finds that odd?

Again, post the damn pic.

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1738102)
Most Post Offices do not cancel or date the mail. The mail is sent to a sorting facility. In the case of my former PO (I am now retired), the sorting facility was 120 miles away. If I mail a letter on the 8th, it will be postmarked on on the 9th. In this case, the 7th was a Sunday. I would guess the letter was mailed on Fri the 5th or Sat the 6th in order for it to receive a postmark on the 8th. It is possible that it was mailed and postmarked on the 8th, but not likely.

Rick

Well just to continue in OCD mode, the check easily could have been backdated so the postmark is more reliable.

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738092)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738103)
Last night, a board member emailed me a pic - a pic they said would corroborate Al's story. They asked me not to share it publically. Well, I'm a man of integrity and I haven't shared it publically or privately - not even a description of the pic. I kept it totally to myself. Here's the kicker. The pic that was supposed to corroborate Al's story, actually shreds it to pieces.

Post the damn pic and let's end this.

It's funny how so many people came to Al's defense, but the two that could have confirmed everything - the member that got the 10 cards by mistake and the other member that got the OM and damaged it - well we haven't heard from them at all. Nobody else finds that odd?

Again, post the damn pic.

Tell me in PM exactly how you’re going to “shred” this story. And the only people who find this story odd are you, Orly and Jake. I don’t know Orly at all, but you and Jake are two of the biggest Kooks to have ever inhabited N54. So I’m through answering to you if you’re not going to let us in on the conspiracy.

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1738102)

Rick

In a densely populated area like North Jersey isn't it likely there would be a number of sort facilities in a smaller area, such that there is a reasonable chance a letter mailed on the 8th would get postmarked on the 8th? In any event, it doesn't seem to make sense that a letter mailed on Dec. 29th would not be postmarked until Jan. 8th.

vintagetoppsguy 01-12-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1738112)
Tell me in PM exactly how you’re going to “shred” this story. And the only people who find this story odd are you, Orly and Jake. I don’t know Orly at all, but you and Jake are two of the biggest Kooks to have ever inhabited N54. So I’m through answering to you if you’re not going to let us in on the conspiracy.

I wasnt going to mention your name, but since you basically just admitted that you're the one that sent me the pic, just post it.

Shoeless Moe 01-12-2018 04:49 PM

If no one else is going to say it dammit I will:

AL SHOT JFK!!!!!

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738116)
I wasnt going to mention your name, but since you basically just admitted that you're the one that sent me the pic, just post it.

The two people who are involved in that don’t want to be involved here in Net54, and since I am an honorable man I would never post “the damn pic” without their permission. Seriously it’s a box with dated labels and a tracking number that absolutely 100% corroborates Al’s story. The tracking number gives away the hometown of the guy who accidentally received the cards. There is no way it’s getting posted and you know that.

botn 01-12-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738103)

I have to agree with David on this one. Al states both are posters here and both innocent so I fail to see any harm in their contribution to this drama. If they have done nothing wrong why not pipe in to set the record straight since it seems every other aspect of this conflict has been put out here.

calvindog 01-12-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1738112)
I don’t know Orly at all, but you and Jake are two of the biggest Kooks to have ever inhabited N54.

Peter Chao says hi.

calvindog 01-12-2018 05:08 PM

PS: Peter Chao and Orlando are both attorneys. Has anyone seen Orlando and Chao in the same room together?

calvindog 01-12-2018 05:09 PM

I didn't think so. And the plot thickens.

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1738122)
Peter Chao says hi.

Okay, I change my statement to “biggest kooks currently inhabiting N54.”

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1738121)
I have to agree with David on this one. Al states both are posters here and both innocent so I fail to see any harm in their contribution to this drama. If they have done nothing wrong why not pipe in to set the record straight since it seems every other aspect of this conflict has been put out here.

I honestly wish they would chime in because this is becoming exhausting. I’d still love to know what Al had to gain by keeping a lot of common T206 cards. I honestly believe that David thinks that card graded a PSA 1 was an actual brown OM. Lol.

buymycards 01-12-2018 05:18 PM

Letter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1738113)
In a densely populated area like North Jersey isn't it likely there would be a number of sort facilities in a smaller area, such that there is a reasonable chance a letter mailed on the 8th would get postmarked on the 8th? In any event, it doesn't seem to make sense that a letter mailed on Dec. 29th would not be postmarked until Jan. 8th.

Hi Peter, you are correct. I'm sure that things are much different in NJ than they are out here in the boonies. :) Dealing with several larger cities that are located in a small geographical area is much different than dealing with the small towns that are dozens of miles from a large sortation center. I also agree with you about the date on the check.

Rick

calvindog 01-12-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1738129)
Hi Peter, you are correct. I'm sure that things are much different in NJ than they are out here in the boonies. :) Dealing with several larger cities that are located in a small geographical area is much different than dealing with the small towns that are dozens of miles from a large sortation center. I also agree with you about the date on the check.

Rick

Well, after having read a little more I think we can cross off greed as one of Al's deadly sins but it looks like he's dead to rights on sloth. Gluttony too -- I thought I saw him eating a pizza today at the White Plains show.

orly57 01-12-2018 05:37 PM

So even by Al's own admission, he:
1. posted the same card in two separate lots
2. he has allegedly mailed 10 cards to the wrong address
3. he has failed to show scans of the back of the alleged BOM in one of the lots.
4. he has failed to mention in the description the fact that it is mislabeled BOM, potentially causing guys to bid in hopes of treasure
5. He failed to mention to the board that the Old Mill was not being returned to the buyer, and let everyone think he was getting a full refund PLUS ALL the cards.
6. He said he sent an important check via STANDARD MAIL on Dec 29th which was postmarked 10 days later.
7. Had the OM reholdered, but used two different scans in different holders in the two seperate lots.

So forgive me if I mistook gross incompetence for shady behavior. It's just so hard to believe that someone can be THAT incompetent and make THAT MANY mistakes, that one can easily confuse it with malice. I'm still not sure that a few white lies weren't told in order to hide said incompetence, but I don't necessarily believe it was for some evil motive or fraud. Is that better?

conor912 01-12-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1738117)
If no one else is going to say it dammit I will:

AL SHOT JFK!!!!!

Careful, or you'll be liable for libel.

CobbSpikedMe 01-12-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1738122)
Peter Chao says hi.

LMFAO!

Thank you Jeff. Thank you.

botn 01-12-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1738128)
I honestly wish they would chime in because this is becoming exhausting. I’d still love to know what Al had to gain by keeping a lot of common T206 cards. I honestly believe that David thinks that card graded a PSA 1 was an actual brown OM. Lol.

I just hate loose ends and these two collectors remaining silent only adds to the intrigue and speculation. On a side note I am pretty sure that no other lot auctioned has had this many mishaps associated with it. It is quite staggering.

slipk1068 01-12-2018 06:05 PM

Adrian wants to say hi, but he is over his quota.

botn 01-12-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1738133)
So even by Al's own admission, he:
1. posted the same card in two separate lots
2. he has allegedly mailed 10 cards to the wrong address
3. he has failed to show scans of the back of the alleged BOM in TWO different lots!
4. he has failed to mention in the description the fact that it is mislabeled BOM, potentially causing guys to bid in hopes of treasure
5. He failed to mention to the board that the Old Mill was not being returned to the buyer, and let everyone think he was getting a full refund PLUS ALL the cards.
6. He said he sent an important check via STANDARD MAIL on Dec 29th which was postmarked 10 days later.
7. Had the OM reholdered, but used two different scans in different holders in the two seperate lots.

So forgive me if I mistook gross incompetence for shady behavior. It's just so hard to believe that someone can be THAT incompetent and make THAT MANY mistakes, that one can easily confuse it with malice. I'm still not sure that a few white lies weren't told in order to hide said incompetence, but I don't necessarily believe it was for some evil motive or fraud. Is that better?

Interesting points but as to point 3) lot #234 does show the Paige back and it is clearly not brown. http://loveofthegameauctions.com/190...-LOT14343.aspx

CMIZ5290 01-12-2018 07:32 PM

No problems with Al at all....It's amazing to me, we barbeque PWCC's and Probstein's ass for years with constant threads and posts with absolutely no resolve, and then we blister a guy with none of that garbage, a guy that many people praised about on numerous threads, and then just this one thing happens....I don't get it...

timn1 01-12-2018 08:03 PM

+1

Exactly. Some of the nonsense in this thread was just unbelievable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1738170)
No problems with Al at all....It's amazing to me, we barbeque PWCC's and Probstein's ass for years with constant threads and posts with absolutely no resolve, and then we blister a guy with none of that garbage, a guy that many people praised about on numerous threads, and then just this one thing happens....I don't get it...

timn1 01-12-2018 08:12 PM

Not “ remaining silent “

I know the collector who won the two old mills and put the hole in Paige when he was trying to unslab it. He isn’t remaining silent, he just has other things to do and hasn’t been following the thread closely. Plus, there’s really nothing more to say about it. His hand slipped, Paige got mangled, and now it sits in his beater T206 set. It’s very obviously not a brown old mill. End of the story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1738148)
I just hate loose ends and these two collectors remaining silent only adds to the intrigue and speculation. On a side note I am pretty sure that no other lot auctioned has had this many mishaps associated with it. It is quite staggering.

Buythatcard 01-12-2018 08:36 PM

Al is a great guy. I recently won a few lots at his last auction. I paid him and received my cards. No problems.

Today I received a check from him because I overpaid. I had no idea and would have gone on with my life never knowing that I did.

Not too many people would do what he did.

He doesn't deserve any of the negative remarks.

h2oya311 01-12-2018 08:57 PM

No conspiracy here. Time to move on. If Al says he sent the check on 12/29, that’s when he sent it.

t206fix 01-12-2018 09:11 PM

Has anyone figured out who B is? I'm dying to know!!!

Aaron Seefeldt 01-12-2018 10:07 PM

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

bijoem 01-12-2018 10:59 PM

this thread is awesome. lol.

Jeff - lets have lunch sometime soon. or dinner.

drcy 01-12-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt (Post 1738198)
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

It's always the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

pokerplyr80 01-13-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1738183)
No conspiracy here. Time to move on. If Al says he sent the check on 12/29, that’s when he sent it.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, or if you haven't seen the updated post with the postmark.

MVSNYC 01-13-2018 04:30 AM

Hi Joe- NYC Dinner Thread?

philliesphan 01-13-2018 05:11 AM

I like applesauce

T206Jim 01-13-2018 06:41 AM

Al's sentence has been served. Let's release him, and the rest of us of that are tired of seeing this thread at the top of the board each morning, from the pillory.

bobbyw8469 01-13-2018 07:12 AM

I have been away on vacation for a bit, and am delving into this thread as I am having to work on a Saturday morning, and all I can say is

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one major problem. If a bidder accidentally received some cards that he KNEW he did not bid on nor pay for, why in the f**k is he cracking them open!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!??!? They do no belong to him!!!!!!!! Granted, I haven't taken the time to peruse every single page of this thread, but I think I got the general gist of what transpired. Can someone explained to me why someone is cracking out cards that he knows does not belong to him??

bobbyw8469 01-13-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1737336)
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if when your package of auction winnings arrives, you open the box in a timely manner to make sure it was packed correctly. That would help you get a resolution if a mistake was made. Yes, we are all busy, but opening a box to check it for accuracy is probably a 5-10 minute project. It's time well spent.

Don't call an auction house a month after you received your winnings to say a mistake in shipping was made. If I'm the auctioneer (and I was for many years), that just sucks.

I'm as guilty of this as anybody. I have packages that I just let sit unopened. Hell, I got a package from Heritage with a complete Topps Wings set that I STILL haven't opened. From 2014. Hope they are in there.

BengoughingForAwhile 01-13-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1738247)
I have been away on vacation for a bit, and am delving into this thread as I am having to work on a Saturday morning, and all I can say is

I have one major problem. If a bidder accidentally received some cards that he KNEW he did not bid on nor pay for, why in the f**k is he cracking them open!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!??!? They do no belong to him!!!!!!!! Granted, I haven't taken the time to peruse every single page of this thread, but I think I got the general gist of what transpired. Can someone explained to me why someone is cracking out cards that he knows does not belong to him??

Read Post #240

frankbmd 01-13-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1738247)

You just can’t go on vacation and expect to understand this thread, Bobby.

The Paige card was sold in two different lots. Both parties paid for the card. One of them mutilated the card during the cracking process and the other didn’t receive the card.

Peter_Spaeth 01-13-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1738254)
You just can’t go on vacation and expect to understand this thread, Bobby.

The Paige card was sold in two different lots. Both parties paid for the card. One of them mutilated the card during the cracking process and the other didn’t receive the card.

An explanation with surgical precision.

vintagetoppsguy 01-13-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Jim (Post 1738237)
Al's sentence has been served. Let's release him, and the rest of us of that are tired of seeing this thread at the top of the board each morning, from the pillory.

I agree. For the record, I have never met Al, have never dealt with Al (as far as I can remember) and have no axe to grind with him. Let me be crystal clear. I don't think Al is a bad guy - maybe a little shady, but I don't think he's a crook. It was never personal. It wasn't a smear campaign against Al.

On the other hand, this thread quickly turned to a smear campaign against the OP and I just wasn't going to let that happen. He did nothing wrong. I've never met the OP either. I think I may have dealt with him in the past (his name sounds familar), but I really don't remember. Either way, I would have done the same thing for anybody who was wrongfully attacked.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be over with and done. But if those that keep running their mouths want to continue to do so, we can keep it going. Let me be crystal clear about something else. I still have 2 more bombs to drop. I'm willing to keep those to myself and keep my mouth shut and nothing more will ever be said. But if some want to continue this we can. It doesn't matter to me.

Over or done? It's y'alls choice.

Snapolit1 01-13-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1738258)
I agree. For the record, I have never met Al, have never dealt with Al (as far as I can remember) and have no axe to grind with him. Let me be crystal clear. I don't think Al is a bad guy - maybe a little shady, but I don't think he's a crook. It was never personal. It wasn't a smear campaign against Al.

On the other hand, this thread quickly turned to a smear campaign against the OP and I just wasn't going to let that happen. He did nothing wrong. I've never met the OP either. I think I may have dealt with him in the past (his name sounds familar), but I really don't remember. Either way, I would have done the same thing for anybody who was wrongfully attacked.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be over with and done. But if those that keep running their mouths want to continue to do so, we can keep it going. Let me be crystal clear about something else. I still have 2 more bombs to drop. I'm willing to keep those to myself and keep my mouth shut and nothing more will ever be said. But if some want to continue this we can. It doesn't matter to me.

Over or done? It's y'alls choice.

Wow. That’s what we call a teaser in the film industry. Not that I am in the film industry. No way this baby is ending anytime soon.