Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

perezfan 12-12-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2174236)
Definitely a factory thing. Some makers, I've noticed, cut their spines at an angle. Others didn't bother and left it squared, to save time.

If they were hand cut, that may explain why you see variations in style from one pennant to the next. Maybe the spine cutter was in a hurry to get to lunch that day?

Agree... definitely done at the factory. There are simply way too many like this to consider them as "altered". And they never have sharp edges in this area, like you see on altered pennants (typically towards the tip).

ooo-ribay 12-12-2021 03:05 PM

Mark and Kyle - my question was unclear…I was more wondering about the pennant material under the spine. On the pennant on the right, it’s noticeably “squared” i.e. 90 degrees to the vertical cut of the left side.

thetahat 12-12-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2174256)
Mark and Kyle - my question was unclear…I was more wondering about the pennant material under the spine. On the pennant on the right, it’s noticeably “squared” i.e. 90 degrees to the vertical cut of the left side.

I think it’s factory, probably at the end of a sheet.

Some pennants have squared tips, uneven spine, etc. It’s pretty clear that many were made that way. I have pennants with three tassels in one spot. I just think they weren’t terribly careful. The “sliding runner” pennants are also known to have a little notch on the top edge.

thetahat 12-12-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2174166)
Like this guy, huh?

Yes that’s exactly what I mean … nice!

ooo-ribay 12-12-2021 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2174256)

Edit: this is a good example of what I'm talking about. Not my only pennant with this phenomena.

BTW - this pennant is shown in the 1963 merchandise ads. I think it's unique and undervalued.

perezfan 12-12-2021 07:34 PM

That is my first-ever pennant. My dad bought it at Candlestick Park during the 1964 season. Very special day when he brought it home, and miraculously I still have it!

bocca001 12-13-2021 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Merry xmas to me!

For a design that was so common across high schools, colleges, and pro teams for a time (1940s), there never seems to be very many of these for any individual team and I have been looking for this one for a long time.

thetahat 12-13-2021 07:20 AM

Congrats Marc! Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before.

Fballguy 12-13-2021 07:45 AM

Looks great Marc. Interesting too that the Niners version is the only one that I can recall seeing in which the player graphic overlays the font.

Rob...Thanks for checking out the site. 76.7% are mine....to be exact.:D

ooo-ribay 12-13-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2174465)
Merry xmas to me!

For a design that was so common across high schools, colleges, and pro teams for a time (1940s), there never seems to be very many of these for any individual team and I have been looking for this one for a long time.

Glad you found one, Marc! It’s always satisfying to check one off.

I think your pennant may have answered the “squared spine” question for me. I’m thinking the spine felt was probably cut after it was sewn on. On your pennant, the cutter angled the top and squared the bottom, but avoided cutting into the pennant. Sometimes, they may have squared the spine, while cutting through the body as well…..then, they went to lunch.