Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

perezfan 07-10-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2121878)
So who IS going to decide? You? Mark? I can, however, tell you who decided when slavery was legal. I can tell you who decided when Native Americans were being marched into oblivion. I can guess that a poll of Germans in 1946 would have shown overwhelming support for keeping the Swastika as the country's symbol. If things swing a little too far in the direction of trying to correct America's long and sordid history of oppression of minorities of all kinds, that seems a small price to pay in the ledger of atonement. I suspect, though, that many of the objectors have no interest in atonement of any kind, and probably little awareness that there is anything to atone for.

It's a good and important discussion. But not for this particular thread (or even this forum). I edited out my previous comments, so we can just focus on pennants here.

I have a collection of Willard Mullin original artwork, circa 1940s-50s. Mullin created "The Brooklyn Bum" and used extreme characters to depict the Indians, Braves, Pirates, etc. I won't post the images, as many would be deemed offensive by today's standards.

I just found it interesting that the work of cartoon artists like Mullin/Gallo/O'Mealia graced the front pages of every major newspaper and The Sporting News every single day from the 1940s through at least the 1980s. Now it is a lost art form that is rarely seen. Perhaps partly because of the print media decline and partly because of the subject matter being more restrictive under today's standards.

Same holds true for the LSU Chinese Bandits Pennant posted by Rob... definitely would not be made today. Interesting topics for sure, but best suited for another day/another forum.

Fballguy 07-10-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

So who IS going to decide? You? Mark? I can, however, tell you who decided when slavery was legal. I can tell you who decided when Native Americans were being marched into oblivion. I can guess that a poll of Germans in 1946 would have shown overwhelming support for keeping the Swastika as the country's symbol. If things swing a little too far in the direction of trying to correct America's long and sordid history of oppression of minorities of all kinds, that seems a small price to pay in the ledger of atonement. I suspect, though, that many of the objectors have no interest in atonement of any kind, and probably little awareness that there is anything to atone for.

That's right. I will decide and every other person with a brain should too. Too many sheep in this country afraid to think on their own. But I think that will change soon. A lot of good people of all races are getting tired of the lunacy.

PS...The world decided slavery was legal. And slaves were acquired from black brokers in Africa. So what exactly are you implying? I leave that rhetorical, as Mark said, there's a place for this conversation but it's probably not here.

ooo-ribay 07-10-2021 05:33 PM

I think the “sheep” are the exact opposite of the SJWs....which, by the way, I had to google. The real sheep love their demeaning catch phrases.

Sorry, I had to say it.

thetahat 07-10-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

One should only *atone* for the results of his or her own immoral actions. That’s not the same as speaking up for what is right.

thetahat 07-10-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikc21 (Post 2121847)
We’ve covered this topic a lot, but I still enjoy a good before and after picture. I try to stay away from the color red, but this one improved quite a bit imho.

It’s a rainy and gloomy day here so the lighting doesn’t show the ‘after’ as well as I’d like.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6b55fe2c42.jpg

Very nice …. Simple design but tough (and cool) pennant.

Fballguy 07-10-2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2121921)
I think the “sheep” are the exact opposite of the SJWs....which, by the way, I had to google. The real sheep love their demeaning catch phrases.

Sorry, I had to say it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're the exact opposite. I think they're afraid of the SJWs. Afraid to be called names or get cancelled for sharing an opposing view. So they just blend in to remain invisible from attack. They allow themselves to be bullied by them (a common tactic employed by the SJW among others) and they just go along to get along...regardless of what is truly right or just.

bocca001 07-10-2021 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a recent pickup for me. I guess it is Keezer? Or a copy of Keezer? It's not a full-size pennant. Maybe 3/4 size. The material is strange too. Almost like cheese cloth.

perezfan 07-11-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2121975)
Here is a recent pickup for me. I guess it is Keezer? Or a copy of Keezer? It's not a full-size pennant. Maybe 3/4 size. The material is strange too. Almost like cheese cloth.

That's cool! One you don't see often, and really unique. There is a full-size orange version with that same graphic, but I like yours much better. Tough to find these white ones in such nice shape.

Great pickup, Marc!

ooo-ribay 07-11-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2121975)

As I mentioned, mine came from South America. I really kind of think that’s where they originated.

Mine was 99 cents with $25 shipping :p

Hankphenom 07-11-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2121898)
That's right. I will decide and every other person with a brain should too. Too many sheep in this country afraid to think on their own. But I think that will change soon. A lot of good people of all races are getting tired of the lunacy. PS...The world decided slavery was legal. And slaves were acquired from black brokers in Africa. So what exactly are you implying? I leave that rhetorical, as Mark said, there's a place for this conversation but it's probably not here.

How arrogant to claim that those who disagree with you don't have a brain, are "sheep." And who cares that you don't find the historical events being commemorated by these symbols offensive enough to warrant removal, enough others apparently do. And of course you missed my point entirely, that whatever overreaction and overreach in that regard pales in comparison to the suffering they represent. Feel free to fill your house with whatever historical representations you like, but I don't want to have to look at what you deem worthy to be celebrated in the public square.