Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Show...me...your print variations! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187722)

aelefson 04-25-2023 07:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more. The Duncan in the middle has some smearing on the name and the one on the left has the name printed somewhat lighter. Two of the Odoms have a fisheye in the right border. The others are more one-offs I believe. I do not know what to make of the 66 but it has an odd sheen, the Fernando rookie has really dark printing on one version and light on the other and the 69 Deckle has part of the back showing on the front.

Alan

Cliff Bowman 04-25-2023 07:33 PM

The 1966 Wickersham is probably a Venezuelan, the 1969 Deckle Edge Allen is a wet sheet transfer.

aelefson 04-25-2023 08:24 PM

Thank you Cliff! I thought the 66 might be a Venezuelan but I have had a few of those from 66 and while they looked like mine, they did not have the same feel. I am probably misremembering though so I will go with it being one. A wet sheet transfer makes sense on the Deckle.

Alan

Cliff Bowman 04-26-2023 09:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It is odd that the 1969 Topps Deckle Edge Richie Allen has a wet sheet transfer of Curt Flood rather than of the Allen card itself like all of the other wet transfers I have seen, Flood isn't even on the same row or column that Allen is.

ejstel 04-27-2023 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 2326947)
White lightening

Love these...saw some blue streaks in the 1969's...I had not seen these in the 1970 set until now!
Best,
Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ALR-bishop 04-27-2023 08:38 AM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...583&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...648&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...590&fit=bounds

butchie_t 04-27-2023 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejstel (Post 2335135)
Love these...saw some blue streaks in the 1969's...I had not seen these in the 1970 set until now!
Best,
Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

yeah, now I’m on a quest for some more white lightning. so far, no joy.

B. T.

Cliff Bowman 05-06-2023 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Several cards from the 1979 E* sheet have a recurring blue ink explosion print flaw. I have quite a few of them but I didn't have Mike Krukow, I finally found one and the same eBay seller also had a Dave Collins that I was unaware of, it is above Krukow on the sheet.

savedfrommyspokes 05-06-2023 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2337993)
Several cards from the 1979 E* sheet have a recurring blue ink explosion print flaw. I have quite a few of them but I didn't have Mike Krukow, I finally found one and the same eBay seller also had a Dave Collins that I was unaware of, it is above Krukow on the sheet.

Great find!

ALR-bishop 05-07-2023 02:42 PM

Good one Cliff

jimq16415 05-14-2023 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Apologies if this one was shown before, if so I missed it. Some of tht, like mine, have dotted i's in the signature. Others, like the pic I swiped from a listing, do not. m The ones with no dots seems to be way less common.

ALR-bishop 05-14-2023 08:18 AM

Vey nice cards Jim. There is a variation of his 56 card as well

http://baseballcardvariationsguidebo...wordpress.com/

jimq16415 05-14-2023 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2339797)
Vey nice cards Jim. There is a variation of his 56 card as well

http://baseballcardvariationsguidebo...wordpress.com/

Thanks! I just looked at some 56s, sorry they're not graded, they're rough. is the line above his name the variation? And if so, how many colors are there?

G1911 05-14-2023 11:09 AM

That's the variation. There's a green line as well on the white back, at the least.

ALR-bishop 05-14-2023 11:36 AM

There is also a variant of the image. Both are plentiful but hard to spot. I can post if needed but there is a scan in the site I posted above under 56 Topps

butchie_t 05-14-2023 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two new ones for me.

69 Aparicio: Well......I have looked for this variation noted in Mr. Dingman's list. So, since the application of variation explanations can be somewhat loosely applied, I am calling this one found. Team letters are sorta white, so they are white in places. Good enough.

75 Yount: Blue puddle. Not in immaculate condition, who cares. I now have one for my 75 set.

Woot!!!!

Cheers,

B.T.

ALR-bishop 05-14-2023 11:51 AM

There are few Yount variants involving the sky and whatever the object on the left was

butchie_t 05-14-2023 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2339857)
There are few Yount variants involving the sky and whatever the object on the left was

I have one of those variations I am using as my base card. I believe the object on the left is a power line tower.

JollyElm 05-14-2023 02:52 PM

Added this to the latest version of Collectorisms...

920. Recurriations
The lesser cousins of ‘true’ error and variation cards whose collectability is based on the appearance of routine print anomalies and oddities, such as fish eyes, print dots, color streaks, border gaps, splotches, offsets, etc., on them.

See also: Printanomilator - a spirited collector of such material.

See also: Grasping at Flaws - the reality that if you search for these types of printing aberrations, there will always be an inexhaustible supply of ‘new’ discoveries to be found.

JollyElm 05-25-2023 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After searching the thread (using "Santo"), I didn't find this one mentioned, but in a Pac-Man-esque fashion, there is a blue streak being chased by the 'C' on Ron's hat on the 1972 Topps #555 Ron Santo card. It's easy to find and there's no doubt in my mind that it's already on people's E&V checklists. In fact, someone on eBay actually has "Blue Slash" in his title.

The 'regular' card is on the left, and the two on the right have said blue streaks running off of his hat into the distance...

Attachment 572729

But here's where it gets somewhat coolish and is the actual reason for this post.

In one of my 1972 Topps binder sets, the Santo has a gnarly neon-green streak passing under his nose (probably the 'same' streak as the hat one, but located differently). I have always been on the lookout to find another example of "Santogreenmustachio," but have never had any luck in doing so. Figured mine was just a one and done recurriation. (Here's where people will chime in to say, "Wait, I have three Santos and they're ALL the green mustache versions." :D)

(Side note: I actually prefer the spelling of "moustache," so it's odd that I'm using the other version here. Oh well.)

Denouement time. But the other day, out of nowhere, everything changed. I finally spotted another example of the card sitting forsaken inside of a PSA 6 holder...and immediately gobbled it up (Pac-Man reference) to claim my prize and secure a double!! Now, I can finally say there's confirmation that this thing truly exists out there!!!! (A very low-key) Woo hoo!!!!!

Attachment 572730

Reading this post has caused you to squander away six to eight minutes of your life that you will never get back, and for that I apologize.

savedfrommyspokes 05-26-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2342924)
After searching the thread (using "Santo"), I didn't find this one mentioned, but in a Pac-Man-esque fashion, there is a blue streak being chased by the 'C' on Ron's hat on the 1972 Topps #555 Ron Santo card. It's easy to find and there's no doubt in my mind that it's already on people's E&V checklists. In fact, someone on eBay actually has "Blue Slash" in his title.

The 'regular' card is on the left, and the two on the right have said blue streaks running off of his hat into the distance...

But here's where it gets somewhat coolish and is the actual reason for this post.

In one of my 1972 Topps binder sets, the Santo has a gnarly neon-green streak passing under his nose (probably the 'same' streak as the hat one, but located differently). I have always been on the lookout to find another example of "Santogreenmustachio," but have never had any luck in doing so. Figured mine was just a one and done recurriation. (Here's where people will chime in to say, "Wait, I have three Santos and they're ALL the green mustache versions." :D)

(Side note: I actually prefer the spelling of "moustache," so it's odd that I'm using the other version here. Oh well.)

Denouement time. But the other day, out of nowhere, everything changed. I finally spotted another example of the card sitting forsaken inside of a PSA 6 holder...and immediately gobbled it up (Pac-Man reference) to claim my prize and secure a double!! Now, I can finally say there's confirmation that this thing truly exists out there!!!! (A very low-key) Woo hoo!!!!!

Nice find Darren, on a HOFer no less. I am always considering how to title these variations to attract the most attention. At least now I have a start on how to title the now infamous " Santogreenmustachio" variation once (IF) I can add a few to my EV collection.

ALR-bishop 05-26-2023 08:54 AM

Good ones Darren. I only had a blue streak with my set, so need a "normal" one as well as the green one. Likely to be a lot of folks looking now. Since it is a Cub I can think of someone else who will need one if he does not have it :)

Cliff Bowman 05-26-2023 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't remember if it was mentioned here or not but the 1972 Topps Ron Santo In Action card also has a similar recurring print flaw as the regular 1972 Ron Santo just introduced.

JollyElm 05-27-2023 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone ready for yet another wrinkle in the 1972 Santo saga??

Lookie what I ran across today...another separate placement of the blue streak (and, once again, the only example I can find). Whereas, the traditional 'blue streak' version is always positioned emanating out of the mouth of the 'C' on his hat, now there's one where it's lower than the Cubbie's logo (third card from the left).

Here's a progression of the (now) 4 versions.

Are there even more to be found??

1. Normal #555 Ron Santo card
2. 'Pac-Man' blue streak version
3. 'Under-C' blue streak version
4. Santogreenmustachio

Attachment 572987

Cool stuff!!

butchie_t 06-07-2023 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Would the attached Alou card be considered the line in the 'T' in Astros?

I have not seen an example of this card yet to determine if this is the actual variation.

Thoughts??

B.T.

Lucas00 06-07-2023 07:19 PM

'72 Aspromonte Very strange dot. Color goes over it. Never seen such a large fish eye. If that's what it is.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4c8f7d4f18.jpg

JollyElm 06-08-2023 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Depending on how crazily (read expensively) you want to chase recurriations, I present to you the 1968 Topps #280 'Cat Hair' Mantle, where two distinct strands of fur can sometimes be found floating on the breeze between his head and bat...

Attachment 574749

This one is definitely harder to find than the normal version (card on the left above), but they are pretty abundant.

ALR-bishop 06-08-2023 06:17 PM

Good one Darren 😩

butchie_t 06-16-2023 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2343224)
I don't remember if it was mentioned here or not but the 1972 Topps Ron Santo In Action card also has a similar recurring print flaw as the regular 1972 Ron Santo just introduced.

Nice card Cliff,

That one just does not come up very often. I have been looking for one for a while now. A long, long while.

Cheers,

Butch

Cliff Bowman 06-18-2023 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found these on eBay recently, the 1974 Terry Forster was the only yellow ink print flaw card from the 1974 265-396 sheet that I was aware of but didn't have, the 1964 Topps Phillies Team card came up on a 1963 Topps Phillies Team card search but I had to grab when I saw it. Surprisingly it is the middle of a row on the uncut sheet but it was on the bottom row of one of the Slits, that is probably the origin of the missing black ink. It is recurring but I didn't see any other copies nearly this affected.

jbaskin 06-19-2023 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblair_2002 (Post 2334095)
Picked this up at a show yesterday:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...23eab4deee.jpgUntitled by Brett Blair, on Flickr

I realize it's off-centered,but do you think the print mishap would take down the grade as well if I sent it in? It's a pretty sharp card otherwise.

What causes this double printing of the black?

Cliff Bowman 06-20-2023 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaskin (Post 2349054)
What causes this double printing of the black?

I believe the whole sheet was double struck in error during the final black ink printing process by the printer.

steve B 06-20-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2349072)
I believe the whole sheet was double struck in error during the final black ink printing process by the printer.

Yep.

Interesting it's off so much. Usually these happen when a sheet feeds wrong and the image is still on the blanket for a second pass while it also gets a new image.
This also can happen during press adjustment.
Like this one where they were moving the black into registration, and it's got I think 5 impressions.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...pictureid=6133

butchie_t 06-22-2023 10:31 AM

Wrong place, moved to the Post - 80's

Carry on.

butchie_t 06-26-2023 04:40 PM

Sorry gents, way too much on my mind right now. Post moved over to the other 80's and later thread.

savedfrommyspokes 06-27-2023 11:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2292217)
He has a BUNCH of 1980 Topps cards with no names that I am very skeptical of. I can't think of any logical reason why all of those cards would be printed without names when the same ink is not missing from the rest of the card. I might be opening myself up to a libel case :eek: but I suspect that someone either removed the names with an eraser or used chemicals to remove the names. Here are scans of a few of them.

To follow-up on this post from LY.... I had forgotten that I had placed this 80 T Kobel card in a west facing window in order to see how it would compare to the 3 cards in Cliff's post. Well, below is the Kobel (with the bottom intentionally sunbathed), IMO it looks like the Kobel's red lettering is further bleached than the 3 cards Cliff found being offered on ebay. When compared to the Kobel, it appears to be a near certainty that the Rice, Tom P. and Nettles card were sunbathed to remove the red colored player name and it does not appear to be a factory misprint on these 3 cards.

Also evident on the bottom of the Kobel is which primary color fades first, second and third on a 1980 Topps card.

Cliff Bowman 06-27-2023 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 2351205)
To follow-up on this post from LY.... I had forgotten that I had placed this 80 T Kobel card in a west facing window in order to see how it would compare to the 3 cards in Cliff's post. Well, below is the Kobel (with the bottom intentionally sunbathed), IMO it looks like the Kobel's red lettering is further bleached than the 3 cards Cliff found being offered on ebay. When compared to the Kobel, it appears to be a near certainty that the Rice, Tom P. and Nettles card were sunbathed to remove the red colored player name and it does not appear to be a factory misprint on these 3 cards.

Also evident on the bottom of the Kobel is which primary color fades first, second and third on a 1980 Topps card.

Nice work! I was already skeptical of his missing name cards but when he showed the Tom Poquette I knew they were bogus because on the real 80 Tom Poquette yellow name the banner is also affected with the missing red ink but on his the banner is the same as a normal 80 Poquette card.

David W 07-03-2023 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob Lemon Red Heaert and his lemon colored eyes, hat, and thin line across the top

Beercan collector 07-03-2023 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I apologize if this one’s doesn’t qualify or has been posted already ( I do not have the brain power to view all 50 pages )

Elberson 07-06-2023 01:38 PM

1966 Topps

2 Attachment(s)
I found a 1966 Topps dick Stuart 480 with “I guess a scrape in Mets name banner”

savedfrommyspokes 07-07-2023 08:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I can't recall if this one has been previously posted or not, but I found 4 variations of this variation.

First one is a break in the line above the "H" in the stats header line. Second one is the partial obscuration of the "H". Third/fourth, as seen in the last two images, the nearly complete obscuration of the "H" with the last one causing a line break above.

G1911 07-10-2023 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This mark on the left edge is recurring; it seems to manifest a little differently on cards with it, appearing somewhere between his shoulder to his cap.

jl4jc2001 07-12-2023 05:59 PM

Gibson RC

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up.

Cliff Bowman 07-12-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl4jc2001 (Post 2355316)
Just picked this up.

Nice!

G1911 07-12-2023 06:23 PM

I hope our Cardinals guy isn't watching this thread today!

That's a cool one though. I need to come up with a reason to justify not looking for an extra Gibson rookie now

jl4jc2001 07-12-2023 06:30 PM

I'm thinking Al probably has several without any printing in the 'personal information' box on the Gibson rookie card. :)

ALR-bishop 07-13-2023 01:56 AM

New one for me but am currently looking like mad for it here in Torshavn in the Faroe Islands. Getting funny looks when I ssk and I do not speak Dane

Cliff Bowman 07-13-2023 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ink explosions are one of my favorite recurring print errors, the sheet this card was on also has recurring ink explosions for Jim Palmer, Cesar Cedeno, Rick Miller, and probably more.

jl4jc2001 07-13-2023 06:44 AM

73 Evans

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another...

jl4jc2001 07-13-2023 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2355375)
New one for me but am currently looking like mad for it here in Torshavn in the Faroe Islands. Getting funny looks when I ssk and I do not speak Dane

This Gibson may come up for sale. :)