Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Babe Ruth $$$ (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=308043)

GasHouseGang 09-29-2021 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you want to read more about the Ruth Fro Joy cards here's a link to an earlier discussion about them:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131343

And here are a few Ruth cards to keep the thread moving.

Exhibitman 09-29-2021 09:16 PM

Speaking of cut cards, someone was selling pieces of the Universal Toy & Novelty cards some time ago (pre-boom) on eBay and I thought "who'd pay for that?" Wish I had.

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...-Alexander.jpg

I am not sure whether these cards were meant to be cut up. Guess we will never know.

SteveS 09-29-2021 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With regard to the Fro Joy (at least the #1 card), one thing I've noticed that I don't know has ever been pointed out is that in the authentic ones, if you look very closely, there are a bunch of tiny crosses below Babe's chin and on his jersey. I have not seen that on any of the fakes or reprints. The top set of pictures below are of mine and one that Leon posted in a previous thread. The bottom two are being marketed as reprints. You can see the crosses on the top ones that are lacking on the bottom. I hope that helps anyone looking for a Fro Joy to add a Ruth to their collection.

ullmandds 09-30-2021 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2149452)
With regard to the Fro Joy (at least the #1 card), one thing I've noticed that I don't know has ever been pointed out is that in the authentic ones, if you look very closely, there are a bunch of tiny crosses below Babe's chin and on his jersey. I have not seen that on any of the fakes or reprints. The top set of pictures below are of mine and one that Leon posted in a previous thread. The bottom two are being marketed as reprints. You can see the crosses on the top ones that are lacking on the bottom. I hope that helps anyone looking for a Fro Joy to add a Ruth to their collection.

damn! Never heard of this/noticed this? Still not sure if I can see it????

jingram058 09-30-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2149493)
damn! Never heard of this/noticed this? Still not sure if I can see it????

Looks like "noise" or pixels that actually look like tiny crosses or x's, is that right?

SteveS 09-30-2021 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pete and James, here's a comparison of the same area of the jersey. If you blow it up you can see the tiny crosses on the left picture that aren't on the right. I've never seen those crosses on the fakes, and always figured that they were part of the printing process and difficult to replicate.

ullmandds 09-30-2021 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2149510)
Pete and James, here's a comparison of the same area of the jersey. If you blow it up you can see the tiny crosses on the left picture that aren't on the right. I've never seen those crosses on the fakes, and always figured that they were part of the printing process and difficult to replicate.

Thats helpful thx steve!

TUM301 10-01-2021 11:35 AM

Great Info Steve

Thanks for pointing this out. Acquired this raw example a while back and just never got it graded. Took your advice and there they are plain as day, thanks again.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3ebc759e_b.jpg1928 Frojoy, Babe Ruth`s Grip ! by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr

SteveS 10-01-2021 01:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very cool, TUM301. One thing I should say is that I haven't checked every type of reprint out there. I checked several just to make sure, and it holds true for the ones I saw for card #1. I imagine there are printers out there that can replicate things to the tiniest detail, like the crosses. So check other things, such as making sure that the box on the back is a full square, without any breaks in the corners.

EDIT: I just spent awhile looking through a bunch of Fro Joys advertised as reprints. Some better than others. But while I did not see any crosses on cards #1-4, I did see them on a few of the #5 (Grip) and #6 (Crack Fielder) cards. I attach an example of a #5 reprint that appears to have the crosses. However, in every one of those that I saw, the corners of the box on the back do not connect. I also attach a picture of that. While I can't say for sure as I haven't checked every single example out there, when it comes to the #5, the crosses on the front and the connecting box on the back are very good signs.

mrreality68 10-01-2021 02:53 PM

Amazing How many different types of collectible items there are from cards, to photos, to books, pins, Tins and so much more

Time to potentially expand the Search for Ruth Collectibles

dmats33312 10-01-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2148122)
Everyone knows I am a totally raw guy. I just want to collect cards. I have cracked every graded card I have ever had. But I am seriously considering having my 1933 Goudey Ruth and Gehrig cards graded. Perhaps a few of the others as well. At this point, it would be foolish not to.

I would for insurance purposes so that just incase something happens you get reimbursed for the graded value instead of get beat over raw values.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 10-02-2021 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ruth pick up today at the Long Beach Collectibles show

jingram058 10-02-2021 07:56 AM

For the 1933 Goudey Ruth cards, I would have any of the four. It just happened to be that the seller had the batting pose #144 all those years ago. And I just happened to have the money at the time. If he had any one of the other three, and not the one I have, I am certain I would have bought it. These are my personal favorite Babe Ruth cards of them all. Not because I have one, or that they are worth a small fortune. I just like them.

ullmandds 10-02-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan (Post 2150048)
Ruth pick up today at the Long Beach Collectibles show

Any idea when this was made?

ajjohnsonsoxfan 10-02-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2150085)
Any idea when this was made?

I was told late 50's

Gary Dunaier 10-02-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2146629)
Since we're on the point of player exaggerations, I don't believe Wade Boggs drank 107 beers in a day

Maybe if they made chicken flavored beer... :D

Exhibitman 10-03-2021 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2150304)
chicken flavored beer...

Oh, that's just wrong...

ullmandds 10-03-2021 09:12 PM

Very cool and I learned something new here! And I’m relieved to have just checked my three raw examples (1,4,5) and they all have all the characteristics of authentic examples…Lots of crosses and continuous box lineage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2149886)
Very cool, TUM301. One thing I should say is that I haven't checked every type of reprint out there. I checked several just to make sure, and it holds true for the ones I saw for card #1. I imagine there are printers out there that can replicate things to the tiniest detail, like the crosses. So check other things, such as making sure that the box on the back is a full square, without any breaks in the corners.

EDIT: I just spent awhile looking through a bunch of Fro Joys advertised as reprints. Some better than others. But while I did not see any crosses on cards #1-4, I did see them on a few of the #5 (Grip) and #6 (Crack Fielder) cards. I attach an example of a #5 reprint that appears to have the crosses. However, in every one of those that I saw, the corners of the box on the back do not connect. I also attach a picture of that. While I can't say for sure as I haven't checked every single example out there, when it comes to the #5, the crosses on the front and the connecting box on the back are very good signs.

Leon 10-04-2021 11:14 AM

Ruth had some great postcards...

https://luckeycards.com/ruth2.jpg

BobC 10-04-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2150637)
Very cool and I learned something new here! And I’m relieved to have just checked my three raw examples (1,4,5) and they all have all the characteristics of authentic examples…Lots of crosses and continuous box lineage.

Just did the same check with my three raw Fro Joy cards (2,2,5), and they all exhibited the authentic characteristics as well. Great thread, had never heard about this feature on the authentic Fro Joys before.

But, if the existence of the small crosses/X's on the fronts, and closed/completed corners on the back, are really all that is needed to determine authenticity of the cards in this set, how come there has been so much perceived controversy and issues with TPGs authenticating and grading these cards in the past? This way to verify authenticity almost seems too good to be true, especially to those who like collecting raw cards. And we all know what is often said when something seems to good to be true..........!

I truly hope this thread and info is spot on. Just concerned a bit still because the answer seems almost too easy.

ullmandds 10-04-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2150788)
Just did the same check with my three raw Fro Joy cards (2,2,5), and they all exhibited the authentic characteristics as well. Great thread, had never heard about this feature on the authentic Fro Joys before.

But, if the existence of the small crosses/X's on the fronts, and closed/completed corners on the back, are really all that is needed to determine authenticity of the cards in this set, how come there has been so much perceived controversy and issues with TPGs authenticating and grading these cards in the past? This way to verify authenticity almost seems too good to be true, especially to those who like collecting raw cards. And we all know what is often said when something seems to good to be true..........!

I truly hope this thread and info is spot on. Just concerned a bit still because the answer seems almost too easy.

Good points...it certainly seems like more "collectors" have snapped up fro joys recently because they are cheap relatively speaking for their rarity/desirability.

I have a fake sheet I purchased back in college I will examine for x's/crosses when I get a chance.

Agree that if these 2 attributes are smoking guns this should change the whole collecting dynamic of fro joys.

I'm glad I just acquired my last one to complete my set!

BobC 10-04-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2150791)
Good points...it certainly seems like more "collectors" have snapped up fro joys recently because they are cheap relatively speaking for their rarity/desirability.

I have a fake sheet I purchased back in college I will examine for x's/crosses when I get a chance.

Agree that if these 2 attributes are smoking guns this should change the whole collecting dynamic of fro joys.

I'm glad I just acquired my last one to complete my set!

I've got one of of those colored reprint sheets myself somewhere. I'm assuming that wouldn't be worth double checking though. But if you've got a black and white reprint sheet, will be interested in what you see when checking it out. However, earlier posters said they already did this, and the reprints don't show these specific traits. Again, just seems too easy of an answer all of a sudden for something that has been debated about for so long.

Maybe one of the reasons these have been so much more affordable compared to other Ruth cards is the questioning of authenticity by many, and lack of all TPGs being willing to authenticate them, especially PSA anymore. Kind of reminds me on how S74 silks are often viewed and valued in relation to T205/T202 cards since PSA will not grade S74 silks.

And Peter, congrats on completing your Fro Joy set.

ullmandds 10-04-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2150807)
I've got one of of those colored reprint sheets myself somewhere. I'm assuming that wouldn't be worth double checking though. But if you've got a black and white reprint sheet, will be interested in what you see when checking it out. However, earlier posters said they already did this, and the reprints don't show these specific traits. Again, just seems too easy of an answer all of a sudden for something that has been debated about for so long.

Maybe one of the reasons these have been so much more affordable compared to other Ruth cards is the questioning of authenticity by many, and lack of all TPGs being willing to authenticate them, especially PSA anymore. Kind of reminds me on how S74 silks are often viewed and valued in relation to T205/T202 cards since PSA will not grade S74 silks.

And Peter, congrats on completing your Fro Joy set.

I agree with all you've said here...the sheet I was ripped off on is a b/w albeit funky colored sheet compared to authentic ones...not a colorized one. But the borders are dotted lines which are not associated with authentic copies.

SteveS 10-04-2021 03:42 PM

I can't say for sure that a Fro Joy with crosses on the front and a closed box on the back is authentic. But I feel pretty confident that if one or both of those features are missing, then it's a replica. I looked at a ton of #1s online (because that's the one I have), and I have yet to see a confirmed authentic not have both features, or a replica have both. I posted above what I found with the other numbers in the set. I don't know what BVG looks for when grading, or why the other TPGs won't touch it. If the crosses/closed box theory holds true, buy your Fro Joys now before the fakers learn to start replicating those features.

BobC 10-04-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2150816)
I can't say for sure that a Fro Joy with crosses on the front and a closed box on the back is authentic. But I feel pretty confident that if one or both of those features are missing, then it's a replica. I looked at a ton of #1s online (because that's the one I have), and I have yet to see a confirmed authentic not have both features, or a replica have both. I posted above what I found with the other numbers in the set. I don't know what SGC looks for when grading, or why the other TPGs won't touch it. If the crosses/closed box theory holds true, buy your Fro Joys now before the fakers learn to start replicating those features.

+1

BabyRuth 10-04-2021 04:57 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I always liked ice cream.........

ullmandds 10-04-2021 05:14 PM

nice set jim!

BabyRuth 10-04-2021 05:54 PM

Thanks Pete.

lentel 10-04-2021 08:06 PM

classic

Quote:

Originally Posted by uyu906 (Post 2146044)
It was my understanding that there would be no math. (Chevy Chase playing President Ford on SNL, 1976):confused:

Now thats a classic

Jstottlemire1 05-15-2023 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyRuth (Post 2145928)
Every thread needs a card or two

I’ve been looking to pick up a w590 Ruth for a while now. Great example.

chiprop 05-16-2023 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 571335

Wish I owned more Ruth cards! Prices have passed my budget years ago…

mrreality68 05-16-2023 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiprop (Post 2340253)
Attachment 571335

Wow I am jealous.

That is perhaps the cleanest example I have ever seen.

Great card to have

Congrats

The Detroit Collector 05-16-2023 08:59 AM

nothing to show here, just wanted to thank you for resurrecting this thread. So much great information and cards/photos.

Jstottlemire1 05-16-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiprop (Post 2340253)
Attachment 571335

Amazing example. Thanks for sharing. Incredible Ruth.

mrreality68 05-16-2023 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little different Ruth piece. A 1920 Spring Sports catalog printed just prior to the trade sending Ruth to the Yankees. So it came out for the Spring/Summer Catalog season with Ruth in a Red Sox uniform while Ruth was playin that Spring and summer in a yankee uniform