Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

perezfan 04-13-2021 03:00 PM

Regarding the Brewers' price realized.... WTF?

perezfan 04-13-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2092399)
Here's a team we don't talk about much but I thought this was interesting...This pennant was included in a lot I recently picked up and it's bit of an odd ball. 1970 Asco Trademark (I believe) but the pennant is soft felt. Not cloth. Not the stiff "felt". Really soft felt. Not sure I've come across a felt pennant post 1970. The topic seems vaguely familiar. Not sure if we've discussed previously?

And then, while doing some research on the pennant, I came across this recent sale of a different Brewers pennant. At first glance, it doesn't look like anything special. But, per the tax exclusive price, it appears this pennant really sold for $175 (not including $9.75 shipping and tax). Is it that rare or was the sale a fluke?

Gotta be a fluke....

The last time I sold one of those, it went for $16 and some change. Same exact pennant... purchased it new at Anaheim Stadium in 1972, and not particularly rare.

perezfan 04-13-2021 03:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2092071)
I did finally get this Giants 1958 pitcher pennant. I have several versions without the 1958, but always passed on this one hoping to get it at a lower price. And Erik won't trade me his ;)

Someday I'll take my own picture of it (it is in nicer condition than the photo suggests).

Nice snag, Marc...

Now you've got me wondering who made this oddball series of pennants from the late '50s - early '60s.

Perhaps it's already been discussed but this grouping seems like a "one-off", featuring a very distinct look and certainly not made for all teams. Any idea which maker is responsible for these?

bocca001 04-13-2021 07:13 PM

I think that these are WGN and that Kyle has a bunch pictured on his website.

I know that there are several versions of the Giants. Soft felt. Stiffer felt. With the 1958. Without. Bright colors. All grey or white. I think baseball Rob has a good number of them.

Domer05 04-13-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2092584)
Nice snag, Marc...

Now you've got me wondering who made this oddball series of pennants from the late '50s - early '60s.

Perhaps it's already been discussed but this grouping seems like a "one-off", featuring a very distinct look and certainly not made for all teams. Any idea which maker is responsible for these?

Definitely WGN of Chicago. As far as we know, this series began in 1958 (it includes dated LA Dodgers and SF Giants pennants) and ended about 1970 (there's a Reds pennant referencing them as "Big Red Machine").

Some of the early pennants from the series, such as the Braves one shown above, bear a mark from the "G.B. Feld Co." of Chicago. According to WGN, they used this pennant maker at different points in time in the company's history, e.g., when outsourcing made financial sense.

Many of the pennants from this series featured an illuminated stadium, a bat-skewered baseball, and/or a team slogan, e.g., "Sock it to'em" for the '68 Tigers.

Duluth Eskimo 04-13-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2092584)
Nice snag, Marc...

I love these pennants. These are some of the versions that initially drew me to pennants back in the late 80’s. Those and the 50’s Milwaukee Braves.

perezfan 04-14-2021 12:08 AM

Thanks Marc, Kyle and Jason... Great info as always.

I believe these WGN pennants were sold outside of ballparks as opposed to inside of stadiums. When I first started collecting (back in the dark ages), a veteran dealer/collector referred to these specifically as "Vendor Pennants".

During this same timeframe, I believe Trench had the market cornered on pennants sold inside the stadiums. But will defer to Kyle on that!

Hankphenom 04-14-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2091723)
I'm pleased (I think) to add this atrocious New York pennant. It joins its ugly SF sisters. As I was putting the blue SF pennant back in it's sleeve, I noticed it is more of a fabric than a felt. Same with the spine, although you may not make that out from my photo. I’m not sure if this is what Greg calls “cloth” because it still seems like felt. Do we know who made these atrocities? My powers of recall are not up to those of Mark and Greg. I would say the thin tassels are an identifying characteristic.

The seller of the NY pennant originally had it on ebay for $350. He came down to $300 and then $250. I offered $150 and he said he was firm at $200. I hit him again at $175 and he accepted. He then wondered why I had only sent $150. I told him I had sent $196 to cover the price the tax and the shipping. He was not aware we don't call it "feebay" for nothing! :p

Any of the prolific pennant collectors here want to attempt a summary of the different materials used over the past century or so of pennant manufacture, including approximate dates of usage and which companies used what material, with illustrations?

Domer05 04-14-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2092704)
Thanks Marc, Kyle and Jason... Great info as always.

I believe these WGN pennants were sold outside of ballparks as opposed to inside of stadiums. When I first started collecting (back in the dark ages), a veteran dealer/collector referred to these specifically as "Vendor Pennants".

During this same timeframe, I believe Trench had the market cornered on pennants sold inside the stadiums. But will defer to Kyle on that!

That sounds about right to me, Marc. Trench definitely cozied up with ballpark concessionaires, which did put their products for sale inside venues. But, outside the venue, much like today, was a free for all.... Any street vendor could order a hundred pennants from Trench, WGN, ADFLAG, Keezer, and sell them outside for whatever price they could get.

To this end, contributors to this thread posted several photos of street vendors selling these pennants we know and love outside of ballparks. In fact, I recall a cool black and white photo of a vendor hawking an Atlanta Braves pennant by WGN from the above referenced series, not long ago.

But, because of Trench's partnership with the concessionaires, and the overall quality of their products, Trench's pennants probably sold better than anything their competitors distributed. Which is why their stuff is more prevalent on the resale market, today, I think.

Domer05 04-16-2021 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the photo I was referring to....