Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Anyone Else Collecting a 1987 Topps Autographed Set? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201961)

dgo71 12-07-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topps206 (Post 1936830)
I had a return from Chili Davis within the past month or two.

425/792

Those recent returns from Chili all appear to be ghost signed.

mantleman 12-07-2019 02:55 PM

I recently got two Chili Davis back in the mail and they were so horrible I threw them out. Cards were badly damaged and autos were atrocious.

Andy

Topps206 01-13-2020 08:55 PM

How do people know the Chili Davis returns aren't legitimate?

Also, I'm seeing recent returns for George Brett recently. Here's somebody who stopped doing shows, doesn't seem overly nice about signings. Sometimes Atommic Sports has a signing with him and it's pricy.

What are the chances his returns are authentic?

dgo71 01-14-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topps206 (Post 1946949)

Also, I'm seeing recent returns for George Brett recently. Here's somebody who stopped doing shows, doesn't seem overly nice about signings. Sometimes Atommic Sports has a signing with him and it's pricy.

With Chili, it's basically the same way people determine if a Mickey Mantle or Jackie Robinson autograph his legitimate. The autographs people were receiving looked nothing like what his autograph is known to look like. Couple that with the fact that he is not a very accommodating signer when you ask him in person and it makes complete sense for him to employ a ghost signer.

I saw a couple returns on Brett myself and I am extremely skeptical. He is still doing signings with Tom Orr as well and his pricing starts at $110 for cards. As you mentioned, he's a pretty tough signer, and none of the alleged successes I saw had posted a picture of the item they received. I guess I could be wrong but for now I don't believe for a second that Brett is legitimately signing his mail.

sbfinley 01-15-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topps206 (Post 1946949)

I believe they got it backwards and many of the returns from 2016-2018 where ghost signed and the recent 2019 and later returns were authentic. If you can post a pic I can tell you which batch it’s from. It’s pretty easy to tell. If the return was c/o of the ball club I’d bet it’s good. I think a family is the ghost signer.

Edit to add a reference:

Top row is authentic. Bottom row is ghost signed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2946dbe500.jpg

dgo71 01-16-2020 02:38 AM

FWIW, the returns I saw over the last month or so all looked like the bottom row, regardless of where they were sent. I do remember at least one request that specifically noted it was sent c/o the Mets with the ghost signed signature. I don't recall however if it was returned during the season or after he'd returned home in October.

PowderedH2O 01-18-2020 09:54 PM

I got an 87 Topps Brett signed in Spring Training in West Palm Beach. I sat next to Craig Sager's wife and Brett chatted with us for several minutes. He even called over Frank White and Jorge Orta to sign for me. Later on a group of autograph seekers (including myself) approached Bo Jackson and we received a response that rhymes with "Duck Stew". I shed no tears when he got hurt...

mantleman 02-15-2020 11:39 AM

Vince Coleman can now be added through PastPros!!

mantleman 02-28-2020 01:08 PM

If anyone is looking for an 87 Topps Mattingly AS, I have one listed on the BST. It was a great return from Spring Training last year!

mantleman 05-05-2020 10:30 AM

CARD HAS BEEN GIVEN AWAY!!

Just received Henry Cotto autograph via TTM. This was a two or three year wait. Card is mint, auto is fantastic.

Free to a good home, just email me at Andysargent1@hotmail.com

Cheers.