Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm Done with Net54 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273539)

bobbyw8469 09-19-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.
This!!! The post wasn't even in the main forum. It was in the water cooler section where off the wall topics are spoken. I am conservative. There are no bones about it. If I choose to wear a red Make American Great again hat, and that triggers you, then that is on you!! I didn't like Obama's policies. But I would not ever vandalize a car because it had a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on it. I am not so sure the left can make the same statement.

trdcrdkid 09-19-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1917905)
This!!! The post wasn't even in the main forum. It was in the water cooler section where off the wall topics are spoken. I am conservative. There are no bones about it. If I choose to wear a red Make American Great again hat, and that triggers you, then that is on you!! I didn't like Obama's policies. But I would not ever vandalize a car because it had a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on it. I am not so sure the left can make the same statement.

Come on. Can we PLEASE leave this kind of stuff out of the main forum???

Leon 09-19-2019 08:17 AM

+1

Bobby- please don't make any more statements like that. IF you can't see it has political overtones all over it then you are blind. Let this be an informal warning. Let's get back to cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trdcrdkid (Post 1917913)

RedsFan1941 09-19-2019 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trdcrdkid (Post 1917913)

+1

bobbyw8469 09-19-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1917922)
+1

From the guy who tried to ask me if PSA graded airline tickets.....smdh.

bobbyw8469 09-19-2019 08:57 AM

You haven needled me and tried to get under my skin for years. Now you throw up a no drama pic. That is rich right there.

brianp-beme 09-19-2019 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's make this as political as the forum gets...

Brian (not mine...owning them would be too political for me)

autograf 09-19-2019 10:02 AM

I came to this discussion late. And, although I'm sure Barry and I come from different places politically, we don't discuss those places. Barry is an IMMENSELY nice person and he and his wife met me and my family at the Met in NYC on the day I viewed the Burdick collection on spring break this year and they walked around with us for an hour or so before I did that. They were very gracious hosts. I've known Barry for 25+ years and bought some nice items from him over the years. I hate to see him leave the site because of a Watercooler post. It's tough to divorce ourselves from politics lately. It's pervasive (and maybe perverse too) in all aspects of many of our lives. I immerse myself in them....hopefully in the right spots though.....and try to seek out ALL viewpoints....regardless of how crazy....just to test my own thoughts which tend to sway from time to time. So....while I didn't see anything particularly wrong with David's post, I could see why Barry might. That's why the rule for N54 is to stay away from politics. I don't spend as much time here as I used to and try to disregard anything I think is off kilter in a balance to the good that's done on this and other sites. Just my opinion......

AustinMike 09-19-2019 10:08 AM

I've been on vacation the last week plus and haven't had a chance to respond to this thread and there are several points I think should be made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1916565)
I would have way more respect for Mr Sloate if he had complained equally about political statements made by those on his side of the aisle, there would only be silence from him on those occasions but his head would explode if it was someone from the other side. I will PayPal anyone $20 if they show me a post he made telling someone with views similar to his to knock it off or complain about it.

Tell you what Cliff, I will PayPal you $100 if you show me a thread where the first political post was made by someone with views similar to Barry's, Barry actually read the thread, and Barry didn't tell him to knock it off or complain about it.

I have seen very few political posts on this forum (but I don't read very many of the threads). But it seems like the ones I have seen are almost always started by someone with a particular slant similar to the one that set Barry off. And Cliff, why don't you show me a post you made telling someone with views similar to yours to knock it off or complain about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1916634)
If I were that ticked off by seeing posts regarding politics, the last place I would wander into would be a topic about 9/11.

But that's just me.

What??!! A thread about 9/11 is automatically political? Since when? Only deplorable people try to make 9/11 political. Hmm, I guess your last sentence says it all, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1917414)
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

Wow!! Another one. Okay, I have to ask. What about 9/11 is political? What?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1917436)
It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

This forum has rules. One of those rules is no politics. Why should rule breakers simply be ignored? I think the prudent thing would be to report them and see how the moderators handle it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1917904)
Regardless of if there is or isn't, would it not be smart to avoid a 9/11 thread knowing your panties could get in a twist?

I agree with Leon that the comment that started this isn't political, and directly pertained to the topic of 9/11 itself. If an individual views 9/11 as political, and is triggered by politics to the point of potentially leaving a sports card forum, is it not on them to avoid that thread and not click on it? We have a massive societal crisis with a lack of accountability, especially self-accountability. It's on David not to post anything political - which it has since been deemed he didn't - and it's on Barry not to dive into the thread knowing it's a potential trigger.

To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.

I really do hope you respond to my previous question. I really want to know why you think 9/11 is so political.

I strongly disagree with you and Leon. David's post was political. It was about one political party trying to score points with their base about something said by someone in the other political party.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1917905)

Bobby, if you look on the main page where the water cooler section is listed, you will see this, "Please no politics or religion." What is there about that statement that you are not able to understand?

drcy 09-19-2019 10:29 AM

First, David's post was obviously and overtly and intentionally political. (Beyond geopolitics that exist in any historical event), 9/11 isn't inherently political, but many make it political and Net54 doesn't allow for that . . . But, ordinarily and reasonably, one is forgiven for one Net54 faux pas-- though Leon is in charge of that.

Two, we can end this dumb threat. No more politics, I and most members don't care what is anyone's politics, and Barry is welcome when he wishes to return.

mouschi 09-19-2019 10:39 AM

I can certainly understand the frustration of being on a forum and having people rub you the wrong way. I don't even consider Net54 being rowdiest, either! When we go to forums for baseball cards, we want to relax and enjoy our down time. ... not get riled up. HOWEVER ... that is the nature of the internet.

One thing I would suggest if I may, is to create a "block" feature ... not "ignore" but "block". What I mean by this, is if you don't like a user or what they have to say, it would be great to have the ability to block them so they see absolutely nothing you post or say, and vice versa. I'd love this for all forums - facebook has it, and it is wonderful.

mark evans 09-19-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1917945)
First, David's post was obviously and overtly and intentionally political. (Beyond geopolitics that exist in any historical event), 9/11 isn't inherently political, but many make it political and Net54 doesn't allow for that . . . But, ordinarily and reasonably, one is forgiven for one Net54 faux pas-- though Leon is in charge of that.

Two, we can end this dumb threat. No more politics, I and most members don't care what is anyone's politics, and Barry is welcome when he wishes to return.

I agree.

drcy 09-19-2019 10:45 AM

Did someone just post? I downloaded the app and it gives a beep when someone I've blocked posts.

Oh, here we go. It says it was that Tanner bastard. Probably another of his Albanian Mafia deep state UFO water fluoride theories.

mouschi 09-19-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1917953)
Did someone just post? I downloaded the app and it gives a beep when someone I've blocked posts.

Oh, here we go. It's that Tanner bastard. Probably another of his Albanian Mafia deep state UFO water fluoridation theories.

:p:p:p

Not that you'll see this post, but for everyone else reading ... he knows me so well!

frankbmd 09-19-2019 10:57 AM

New prescient Yogi quote uncovered

"My news is your fake news and vice versa.":eek:

drcy 09-19-2019 11:05 AM

For the record, Tanner (Mouschi) and I have different political and religious beliefs, but he's one of the funniest people I know. And I don't think either of us has a problem that we have different religious or political beliefs.

In my daily life, I have no problem with, and in fact enjoy and find it invigorating, being around and discussing people with different beliefs and perspectives. I loathe echo chambers, and, yes, you can learn things and broaden your perspective and knowledge listening to people with different beliefs. However, I will happily live without dingbats, idiots and trolls who exist on both sides. Both sides of the political aisle have intelligent, learned, well-reasoned and well-spoken people and both sides to a political or social issue can have good and reasonable arguments, and both sides have idiots.

But this is a forum for no-political talk, and I appreciate that. One can get his desired fill of politics in many other places.

KMayUSA6060 09-19-2019 11:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMike (Post 1917939)
I've been on vacation the last week plus and haven't had a chance to respond to this thread and there are several points I think should be made.

Tell you what Cliff, I will PayPal you $100 if you show me a thread where the first political post was made by someone with views similar to Barry's, Barry actually read the thread, and Barry didn't tell him to knock it off or complain about it.

I have seen very few political posts on this forum (but I don't read very many of the threads). But it seems like the ones I have seen are almost always started by someone with a particular slant similar to the one that set Barry off. And Cliff, why don't you show me a post you made telling someone with views similar to yours to knock it off or complain about it.

What??!! A thread about 9/11 is automatically political? Since when? Only deplorable people try to make 9/11 political. Hmm, I guess your last sentence says it all, huh?

Wow!! Another one. Okay, I have to ask. What about 9/11 is political? What?

This forum has rules. One of those rules is no politics. Why should rule breakers simply be ignored? I think the prudent thing would be to report them and see how the moderators handle it.

I really do hope you respond to my previous question. I really want to know why you think 9/11 is so political.

I strongly disagree with you and Leon. David's post was political. It was about one political party trying to score points with their base about something said by someone in the other political party.

Bobby, if you look on the main page where the water cooler section is listed, you will see this, "Please no politics or religion." What is there about that statement that you are not able to understand?

Pot calling the kettle black with that last question, considering this entire post by you fans the flames of exactly what you're saying should be kept off the forum. And no, I'm not going to answer anything you just asked.

Now, here's a card that the power & vastness of this forum miraculously gave me a second chance on. I hope this forum lives on forever - such a great network.

Peter_Spaeth 09-19-2019 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Let's get back to cards.