Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The new SGC is almost here! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256923)

Johnny630 08-01-2018 10:13 PM

Awful look

Zan 08-01-2018 10:32 PM

I had an opportunity to check out the new changes today at the showroom setup. I was also told by a representative that new holders are coming “soon", and that this is phase 1 of 3 of things to expect.

CW 08-01-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zan (Post 1799904)
I had an opportunity to check out the new changes today at the showroom setup. I was also told by a representative that new holders are coming “soon", and that this is phase 1 of 3 of things to expect.

Ah, nice. Thanks!

swarmee 08-02-2018 03:31 AM

Is the gold chipped along the top left of that SGC Mint 9 Ramly? I do like that they have labeled it sheet cut. Wonder what the value difference between that card and a PSA 9 would be.

swarmee 08-02-2018 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1799892)
SGC just divided the "VG-EX+" into those 2 little hexagons.

Agreed.

aconte 08-02-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1799892)
Just a guess here, but a 4 is considered VG-EX, so a 4.5 would be VG-EX+. SGC just divided the "VG-EX+" into those 2 little hexagons.

I am disappointed that the SGC holder is the same and that the edge seal was not improved to be more tamper evident.

Chuck,

Haven't really paid attention. Is this for certain? They are using the same
type holder with seal?

Anish 08-02-2018 10:08 AM

Not a fan of big label numbers either, but this is a massive upgrade. The old labels were probably the worst in the industry. They finally have a 21st century look.

calvindog 08-02-2018 11:14 AM

I saw a Wagner SGC 4 with the new flip and it looked fantastic. The non-colored flip (instead of red or green) allows the card to dominate instead of a clash of colors getting in the way. The size of the number grade is a little large but not a big deal to me. I much prefer the new grading scale, as well as all the technological advancements, available scans, ability to make offers, reduction of the human element, etc. SGC's product is far superior and better looking to PSA's at this point; they will need to fix their registry to compete and, therefore, get higher returns on registry-type cards.

As for new holders, I am told they are being worked on. What I was happy to see was real innovation at SGC, which is unlike anything I've seen in the TPG industry in years if ever. I suspect this will push PSA to get off their asses in both the quality of their product and service, all good things to happen.

Bottom line is that I'll be sending in all of my high-value cards/postcards to SGC to be reholdered shortly.

CW 08-02-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aconte (Post 1799958)
Chuck,

Haven't really paid attention. Is this for certain? They are using the same
type holder with seal?

As of right now there are, Tony. According to Brian, though, in post #102, SGC is working on a new holder to be released later on.

aconte 08-02-2018 03:12 PM

Thanks!

Chuck,

Thanks. Hope it works out. I would eventually update some stuff into
the new holders and new flip. At first glance, I like them.

52ToppsMantle 08-02-2018 03:18 PM

Even though I am not a SGC customer, it is good to see them trying to better their business model and products. Long overdue, in my opinion.

It is amazing to me, that after all these years, a person has no way to verify a SGC serial on the website. That doesn't sit well with me.

vintagebaseballcardguy 08-02-2018 04:22 PM

I am very curious as to how all of this is going to play out. With the exception of a couple of times during my first lifetime as a collector in the late 1990s-early 2000s when I submitted a few cards to PSA, I have only submitted to SGC. It has been a few years since I even did that. Lately, I have considered sending a few to SGC, but all this makes me ponder exactly where this will all end. I have a couple of football sets which are almost 100% SGC graded. I could live with the flips being different. However, if the holders themselves change in a substantial way and they don't resemble the SGC holders the rest of my sets reside in, I'm not sure that I would feel very good about it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Marslife 08-02-2018 05:50 PM

hot off the press

2 Attachment(s)
from the SGC display at the National:

Attachment 324560

Attachment 324561

dont know why they rotated...

vintagebaseballcardguy 08-02-2018 06:12 PM

Maybe it's just the pic, but those holders look different, almost a translucent quality? Unless I am missing it, I don't see the black SGC gasket??

swarmee 08-02-2018 07:45 PM

Gasket is definitely there.

KMayUSA6060 08-03-2018 06:19 PM

What are the show specials for this weekend at the National?

Peter_Spaeth 08-03-2018 09:48 PM

Within a month it will look normal, I predict. It only jumps out at people now because they aren't used to it.

Peter_Spaeth 08-03-2018 09:53 PM

I see the certs no longer have the dash and three numbers after what used to be the submission number, representing the cards within the submission. Is there somewhere they explain the change in cert. numbers?

martuzzi 08-03-2018 09:58 PM

So does this mean if you submit an existing SGC card to get reholdered, you’re exposed to the risk of it coming back labeled as “sheet cut”? Seems that’s what happened with the T204 Johnson - was previously a “clean” SGC 96 in the old holder.

Peter_Spaeth 08-03-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martuzzi (Post 1800444)
So does this mean if you submit an existing SGC card to get reholdered, you’re exposed to the risk of it coming back labeled as “sheet cut”? Seems that’s what happened with the T204 Johnson - was previously a “clean” SGC 96 in the old holder.

The world knew those were sheet cut anyhow, from a write up in REA and probably otherwise.

swarmee 08-04-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martuzzi (Post 1800444)

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=ramly

Anish 08-04-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1800441)
I see the certs no longer have the dash and three numbers after what used to be the submission number, representing the cards within the submission. Is there somewhere they explain the change in cert. numbers?

Yeah, they said they randomized them for greater privacy.

sb1 08-04-2018 01:49 PM

The sequential cert and submission numbers made it very easy to ID bad card batches, you no longer have that tool to weed out some problematic cards.

swarmee 08-04-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anish (Post 1800498)
Yeah, they said they randomized them for greater privacy.

I think the question is how they're going to square it with the current listing, both in the registry and pop report.
1) If they do a straight reholder, will the new flip have a new cert number?
2) Will it if they do a review submission where the card is being regraded?
3) Can both number types live together in harmony in their database?

steve B 08-04-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1800441)

PSA style obfuscation?

Nothing like making your business stand out by combining the worst features of your competitors.

RedsFan1941 08-04-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1 (Post 1800599)
The sequential cert and submission numbers made it very easy to ID bad card batches, you no longer have that tool to weed out some problematic cards.

excellent point

Republicaninmass 08-04-2018 04:29 PM

Between this random number generator

Refusing to honor old label grades

Sudden attention to centering

The sweet embrace if death wont be long now. Since psa has failed any star cards and vintage signed cards, and SGC has added Phil Marks, I'll continue to send them signed cards, but that where it ends for me. On a recent sub they told me a psa 7 o/c equates to an SGC 2! The only saving grace from SGC was an accurate grade where anyone can judge centering, now that is out the window.

Jdoggs 08-04-2018 06:23 PM

Anyone have more pics of mantle 52 topps sgc 9 or t206 Wagner sgc 4?

CW 08-04-2018 07:06 PM

My camera phone is not the best, and the cards were behind glass with bright LED lighting which screwed up the colors, but I had to snap some shots of these cards.

https://i.imgur.com/hyExj6j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5cFtYUC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EHzcuhi.jpg

Jdoggs 08-04-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1800693)
My camera phone is not the best, and the cards were behind glass with bright LED lighting which screwed up the colors, but I had to snap some shots of these cards.

https://i.imgur.com/hyExj6j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5cFtYUC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EHzcuhi.jpg

Beautiful pics thank you!:)

Bicem 08-04-2018 08:28 PM

I personally like the flips, they look so much more modern than the old when comparing side by side.

yanks4 08-05-2018 08:45 AM

Please tell me why anyone would want a modern flip with a prewar card?

I just do not understand this.

SGC needs a graphic design person with real creative ability.

I think they blew it again....

Just one mans opinion....

MikeGarcia 08-05-2018 10:33 AM

Well , we all have needs....

.."

SGC needs a graphic design person with real creative ability. "

There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for there acguiring....They are the very simplest things and because it takes a mans life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave............E. Hemmingway

....And Poppa Hemmingway really really needs a proofreader...

Johnny630 08-05-2018 11:06 AM

It looks like most on the board like their new flip and system. Maybe they will become the new TPG number 1.

jerseygary 08-05-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1800832)
.."

SGC needs a graphic design person with real creative ability. "

As a graphic designer, the flips from all the TPG's get under my skin for their bad design. Many years ago I was brought in by GAI to create some designs for a high-end flip and slab that complimented the beautiful cards that they encapsulated. I had to work within the limitations of the equipment that made the flips and other tough restrictions, but I think the designs were able to add a touch of style and class that went well with the expensive cards they housed.

This was just before the company began their spiral, and my designs never went into production. But it shows that at least one TPG cared enough to try to make their flips aesthetically pleasing.

When I get a card that is in a slab, the first thing I do is break it open and ditch the flip. I don't want anything so badly designed to be near something as beautiful as a Diamond Star or Goudey.

canjond 08-05-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a few autographed card slabbed at the National, so I figured I'd share the new container. It will take some getting used to, but I'm generally a fan. I actually picked SGC for this card because I liked how the black label looked with the black background.

Republicaninmass 08-05-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygary (Post 1800854)
As a graphic designer, the flips from all the TPG's get under my skin for their bad design. Many years ago I was brought in by GAI to create some designs for a high-end flip and slab that complimented the beautiful cards that they encapsulated.

Were they trimmed with "BAT wings"?

I kid

T205 GB 08-05-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1800840)
It looks like most on the board like their new flip and system. Maybe they will become the new TPG number 1.

After what was said on the floor of National I don’t think they have enough patches to plug the holes in their boat now.

KMayUSA6060 08-05-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1800883)
After what was said on the floor of National I don’t think they have enough patches to plug the holes in their boat now.

Their National preparation was very, very disappointing. However, you're discounting something that was said a lot on the floor: their customer service was still excellent. I submitted some cards on Saturday, and despite internet problems, Andy was tremendous. I'm neutral on the flips. The black gasket is still the best part about their slabs, and their customer service is excellent. I will continue to use SGC based on those two factors, and believe they will be able to right the ship after a shaky (to say the least) National.

swarmee 08-05-2018 02:34 PM

How were the submission lines at the three TPGs? Looks like PSA's new streamlined process was nice and saved people a bunch of time.

calvindog 08-05-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

They will be using computers to grade cards, thereby removing the uncertainty that exists when humans are involved, i.e. the garbage grading from PSA. They will have scans of all cards graded which will be available to anyone online. They will have the ability to make offers on any card graded, again available to anyone online. Their customer service blows away PSA. Their slab is head and shoulders better looking than PSA's. Oh - but PSA has the Registry which causes higher resale value on certain issues. I'm sure SGC has no chance in such a marketplace.

Johnny630 08-05-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

What was said in the floor of the National?

bnorth 08-05-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1800931)
What was said in the floor of the National?

+1 What was said at The National.

Republicaninmass 08-05-2018 04:10 PM

Truth! I only buy pricing errors

52ToppsMantle 08-05-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

What was said at the national, and how many holes in the boat are we talking about?

Republicaninmass 08-05-2018 06:37 PM

Are we talking....Titanic?

canjond 08-05-2018 10:13 PM

I don't know what was said but they were basically having technical issues the whole show. I was lucky enough that my submission somehow got through, albeit it took 2.5 days.

Republicaninmass 08-06-2018 05:19 AM

"Skynet had become self aware"

vintagebaseballcardguy 08-06-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1801098)
"Skynet had become self aware"

It has to start somewhere...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b1bf35838d.jpg

KMayUSA6060 08-06-2018 08:08 AM

The talk on the floor was how floored (pun intended) people were at how ill-prepared SGC seemed to be. I think the technology issues were forgiven, but the lack of information being provided regarding their big changes was a bit eye-opening.