Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mystery's of the 1933 Goudey set....and, show us your Goudey's (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=230037)

tedzan 12-23-2016 08:19 AM

Hi C-mack

Welcome aboard......

And thanks for posting your Goudey's....it's a great start.

TED Z

C-mack 12-23-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1613297)
Welcome aboard......

And thanks for posting your Goudey's....it's a great start.

TED Z

Thanks I've enjoyed reading figure I'd join the fun lol

canjond 12-23-2016 09:25 AM

Ted - I always thought the #106 Durocher came from a few early print runs where all of the cards were "misnumbered" - or maybe more accurately - numbered differently before the final sequence was established. In fact, I recall Woody Gelman owned a partial sheet with the misnumbered cards.

canjond 12-23-2016 09:27 AM

Just found an old REA auction description - this may be where I recall reading about the sheet:

"...A small number of similarly misnumbered 1933 Goudey cards have been seen over the years. These cards were never actually issued in packs. All were handcut from the very same early Goudey proof sheet as the famous 1933 Goudey #106 Durocher card. This sheet (actually, partial sheet, as the entire sheet of 24 cards did not survive) was part of the collection of legendary hobby pioneer Woody Gelman. All cards from this sheet had numbers which were different than those actually issued. The one card that was especially noteworthy was the Leo Durocher card, because by chance that card shared the same card number as the famous 1933 Goudey #106 Lajoie, and this one card is very well known...".

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...-jack-russell/

tedzan 12-23-2016 09:47 AM

Hi Jon

I have to call Rob regarding that description. It is quite different from my understanding of the source of the #106 Durocher card.

TED Z

canjond 12-23-2016 01:28 PM

No worries, Ted. I'm fairly sure that's where I remembered reading/hearing about the "theory". I'm curious what the history may be - both sound plausible.

Leon 12-27-2016 01:29 PM

First hand knowledge is always best but I am thinking these were about 15 yrs before you started? :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1613336)
Hi Jon

I have to call Rob regarding that description. It is quite different from my understanding of the source of the #106 Durocher card.

TED Z

Spike 01-14-2017 03:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished the 33G set awhile back (minus #106) and its "tools of ignorance" catcher cards remain my favorites, plus the artwork on Joe Judge would stand out in any set.

Great to learn about that 24-card World Series sheet and its missing red stripe! Given that it was their last series of the year, maybe enough people had complained about the stripe taking up valuable photo space earlier in the year and Goudey decided to make the change. Also possible it was a money-saving move? Could've saved them ink or design cost.

C-mack 01-14-2017 07:06 PM

I like the Paul Richards card soo much ! Just a great image

Spike 01-14-2017 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Compare that to his 1951 Bowman and Richards has arguably the biggest gap between his best / worst cards in the vintage era.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-mack (Post 1620614)
I like the Paul Richards card soo much ! Just a great image

SMPEP 01-14-2017 07:46 PM

9 Attachment(s)
I probably should have posted this a long time ago - but this set has a subset that is my own personal "Howe McCormick" type challenge. You can see from the photos below that someone (probably a T206 collector who liked the size better) trimmed these down and then added some nice graphics (including black borders that really make these pop in my eyes).

Honestly, people talk about their favorite and most valuable cards and show 1952 Topps Mantles in PSA 7+ condition - but I think these are the best cards in my entire collection. The love that went into making them is just unreal. I love the 4 different Alvin Crowder variations for example.

I've never posted these before because I "think" I have the entire collection. IT is missing major HOFers though - so I wonder if there are a few that have eluded me.

IF you ever see any of these, please let me know! I am actively looking to recreate this original collection - much as our friend is trying to recreare Mr. McCormick's collection.

Cheers,
Patrick

Jerry G 01-14-2017 08:33 PM

Patrick,

I can't believe I am attracted to these altered cards. They go against everything that I have ever believed about cards, but they are creepily creative and cool. Wow! Someone really had a vision and followed through. Thanks for sharing. Hey, I have a few doubles. Hmmm.

brob28 01-14-2017 09:06 PM

I agree with, those have some nice eye appeal. Are they trimmed to the size of T206's? Thank you for sharing, if I run into any I'll be sure to let you know.

brob28 01-14-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 1620527)
Finished the 33G set awhile back (minus #106) and its "tools of ignorance" catcher cards remain my favorites, plus the artwork on Joe Judge would stand out in any set.

Great to learn about that 24-card World Series sheet and its missing red stripe! Given that it was their last series of the year, maybe enough people had complained about the stripe taking up valuable photo space earlier in the year and Goudey decided to make the change. Also possible it was a money-saving move? Could've saved them ink or design cost.

Matthew, I agree the catcher cards are some of the best in the set. The Joe Judger has always reminded me of Joe Jackson.

SMPEP 01-14-2017 09:22 PM

Thanks! Honestly, my photography sucks. In person, the cards POP as the colors are more vibrant than my photos suggest. Whoever did this is a very good artist - and I think they used a fountain pen to do it. I can't even believe the skill it took.

All I can say is I think that they found a good home - because I like these cards better than I would a PSA 10 1952 Mantle (although at this point I might be tempted by a 1952 Reiser Grey back!).

Cheers,
Patrick

Jerry G 01-14-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMPEP (Post 1620648)
Thanks! Honestly, my photography sucks. In person, the cards POP as the colors are more vibrant than my photos suggest. Whoever did this is a very good artist - and I think they used a fountain pen to do it. I can't even believe the skill it took.

All I can say is I think that they found a good home - because I like these cards better than I would a PSA 10 1952 Mantle (although at this point I might be tempted by a 1952 Reiser Grey back!).

Cheers,
Patrick

Your guy puts the Topps airbrush artists to shame!

Jerry G 01-14-2017 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The 1933 Goudey is my All Time #1 favorite set. Love everything about it except- why would they issue the same card with two different numbers!? Lou Gehrig is certainly worthy of multiple cards, but the same picture and back? Gimme a break.

C-mack 01-14-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry G (Post 1620665)
The 1933 Goudey is my All Time #1 favorite set. Love everything about it except- why would they issue the same card with two different numbers!? Lou Gehrig is certainly worthy of multiple cards, but the same picture and back? Gimme a break.

Agreed I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the 2nd one for my set wish they would of changed the pose some

sb1 01-15-2017 05:24 PM

Progressive Proof's

1 Attachment(s)
This pair of proof cards will be in my next auction, pretty scarce cards and documentation of the printing process for these cards.

nat 01-15-2017 06:31 PM

Those altered cards are beyond amazing. And I think it's great that you're trying to recreate the original collection. I'll definitely let you know if I run into any.

jerrys 01-15-2017 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

C-mack 01-15-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrys (Post 1620906)

Pretty!! Congrats

hcv123 01-15-2017 08:39 PM

Another Goudey mystery?

2 Attachment(s)
I was the under bidder on this card in 2009 when it sold as part of Charles Conlon's personal collection. Any information or current owner would be appreciated.

SMPEP 01-15-2017 08:49 PM

That's awesome Howard. Missing a yellow run on back = printer's scrap?

Just a guess.

Cheers,
Patrick

GoudeyJim 01-16-2017 06:13 PM

I absolutely love the 33 Goudeys and they have always been my favorite set since I was a kid. I have always dreamed of finding a box of unopened packs in some old house. I know wrappers are very common but I have never seen an unopened pack. I'm sure they are very rare but has anyone ever seen one offered?

C-mack 03-20-2017 08:57 PM

Figure it's time to bring this thread back!

Started my set last December ( which I posted maybe a few pages back) after picking up a few off eBay the last couple days I hit my half way mark so I figured I'd share my updated progress

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4..._212057904.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4..._212750163.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4..._213258161.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4..._213643276.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4..._214045698.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4..._214535163.jpg

Leon 03-21-2017 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice. Here is one I couldn't resist recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-mack (Post 1643195)
Figure it's time to bring this thread back!

Started my set last December ( which I posted maybe a few pages back) after picking up a few off eBay the last couple days I hit my half way mark so I figured I'd share my updated progress

Rich Falvo 03-21-2017 09:56 AM

Very cool thread. Don't know if I'd ever attempt the set, but I may have to pick up a '33 to have one as a type example.

C-mack 03-21-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Falvo (Post 1643301)
Very cool thread. Don't know if I'd ever attempt the set, but I may have to pick up a '33 to have one as a type example.

Definitely didn't start that way for me. Picked up the Ruth and Gehrig 1st and had no plans for the set but once I had then laying next to I was sold

pingman59 03-22-2017 10:24 PM

Ersatz Si Johnson Goudey

I was compelled to make this ersatz 33 Goudey card of Si Johnson because I felt he deserved to be in the set. And, he's from my home town too (for full disclosure). :D

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...psgtfulegd.jpg

Color pencil, taken from a black and white newspaper photo.

jason.1969 01-21-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1594533)
...By the end of the Summer of 1933 you diligently put together a set of 191 different subjects...

I have seen in a couple places that the first 7-8 sheets were released by early July. However, four cards from Sheet 7 demonstrate that this sheet could not have been out before August.

The most notable of these cards is the Rogers Hornsby, depicting him as the Browns manager (rather than a Cardinals player), a move that took place on July 26. The latest of the four was Bob Smith, who moved from the Reds to the Braves on July 31.

I am not contradicting Ted's story, since the "end of summer" may just depend on where a person lives. However, the Nov 1970 issue of the Ballcard Collector also included a firsthand account of the set that had Sheet 8 (!) appearing by early July.

Depending how much time we allow for printing, cutting, packaging, distributing, etc., Sheet 7 would not have appeared until mid-August.

Pat R 02-01-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 1847588)
I have seen in a couple places that the first 7-8 sheets were released by early July. However, four cards from Sheet 7 demonstrate that this sheet could not have been out before August.

The most notable of these cards is the Rogers Hornsby, depicting him as the Browns manager (rather than a Cardinals player), a move that took place on July 26. The latest of the four was Bob Smith, who moved from the Reds to the Braves on July 31.

I am not contradicting Ted's story, since the "end of summer" may just depend on where a person lives. However, the Nov 1970 issue of the Ballcard Collector also included a firsthand account of the set that had Sheet 8 (!) appearing by early July.

Depending how much time we allow for printing, cutting, packaging, distributing, etc., Sheet 7 would not have appeared until mid-August.

Jason, I enjoyed the write up you did on these. Your research on sheet
7 is in line with the dates King came up with using the copyright
stamps and patent registration cards.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81615

PhillyFan1883 02-02-2019 11:37 AM

Hi David,

I hope all is well. Would you ever consider selling your Lajoie? Tried to message but no luck. If anyone knows how to reach David “Kawika” from page 2 of this thread please let me know. Happy collecting.

Kawika 02-02-2019 12:25 PM

Hello Connor: No intention of breaking up my '33 Goudey set just yet. As I mentioned in my post from 2016 I'm a bit on the OC side so calling the set "complete" at 239 cards wasn't going to work for me. [Same reason I never undertook the T206 Monster - four mega-expensive holes in the set was a deal-killer]. But there is hope. I'm getting along and one of these years I'll probably cash out of the hobby. The plan is for Al C to drive a U-Haul up to Vancouver Island and auction off the works. There'll be a killer Love of the Game catalog - The Kawika Collection has a nice ring to it - then look for me in the obituaries.

I took the pm function private a couple of years ago due to the persistence of some of the ranks here in trying to separate me from my cards. I like to think of myself as a cordial fellow - I have always enjoyed friendly communications about cardboard but a couple of guys were real dicks and I just got tired of dealing with it.

ALBB 02-02-2019 12:57 PM

33g

HaHa dicks

GoudeyJim 02-22-2020 09:24 PM

Goudey Packs

Hello.
Has anyone ever seen an unopened 33 Goudey pack at any point in the past? I know the wrappers are very common but have never heard of a pack surviving. i've also never seen the box that held the packs.
Just curious as this is my favorite set of all time.
Thanks.
Jim

conor912 02-22-2020 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We need a crate for all these Goudeys.

conor912 02-22-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1851483)
Hello Connor: No intention of breaking up my '33 Goudey set just yet. As I mentioned in my post from 2016 I'm a bit on the OC side so calling the set "complete" at 239 cards wasn't going to work for me. [Same reason I never undertook the T206 Monster - four mega-expensive holes in the set was a deal-killer]. But there is hope. I'm getting along and one of these years I'll probably cash out of the hobby. The plan is for Al C to drive a U-Haul up to Vancouver Island and auction off the works. There'll be a killer Love of the Game catalog - The Kawika Collection has a nice ring to it - then look for me in the obituaries.

I took the pm function private a couple of years ago due to the persistence of some of the ranks here in trying to separate me from my cards. I like to think of myself as a cordial fellow - I have always enjoyed friendly communications about cardboard but a couple of guys were real dicks and I just got tired of dealing with it.

David, I always enjoy seeing your collection. Consider two Conors interested in your Lajoie! :)

Hoping to pick one up to "complete" my set before the centennial!

tedzan 02-23-2020 07:02 PM

Mystery's of the 1933 Goudey set....and, show us your Goudey's

It is great seeing this GOUDEY thread again on the front page.

A 1933 Goudey uncut sheet, which includes cards #143 - 165.

Note the Babe Ruth double-print (card #144) and Ruth (#149).
Plus Leo Durocher (#147), Jimmy Foxx (#154), Lou Gehrig (#160), Moe Berg (#158), and Joe Sewell (#165).

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...x2sheet50x.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

hcv123 02-23-2020 08:30 PM

Whoa!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1957349)
It is great seeing this GOUDEY thread again on the front page.

A 1933 Goudey uncut sheet, which includes cards #143 - 165.

Note the Babe Ruth double-print (card #144) and Ruth (#149).
Plus Leo Durocher (#147), Jimmy Foxx (#154), Lou Gehrig (#160), Moe Berg (#158), and Joe Sewell (#165).

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...x2sheet50x.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

That is a stacked sheet if I ever saw one.

Ted - Any info or thoughts on the blue back Ruth I posted earlier in the thread (a few years ago)?

GoudeyJim 02-23-2020 08:46 PM

Hi Ted.
I always enjoy reading your posts on the Goudey cards. This is my favorite set of all time but I still have a lot to learn about it. Do you ever remember seeing or hearing of any unopened packs at any point in the past?

Jim

tedzan 02-23-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1957368)
That is a stacked sheet if I ever saw one.

Ted - Any info or thoughts on the blue back Ruth I posted earlier in the thread (a few years ago)?

Howard

I've seen a one (or 2) "blue bios" many years ago. I don't recall which subjects they were. It wasn't a Ruth card, though, for I would not have forgotten that card.

The Blue lettering is simply the result of not applying the Yellow ink in the printing process of the backs.

TED Z

T206 Reference

icurnmedic 02-23-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1595471)

Anyone know What the RUTH that was promised at the top of the wrapper is? I can’t seen to find it.

tedzan 02-23-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoudeyJim (Post 1957372)
Hi Ted.
I always enjoy reading your posts on the Goudey cards. This is my favorite set of all time but I still have a lot to learn about it. Do you ever remember seeing or hearing of any unopened packs at any point in the past?

Jim

Jim

No such luck....and, I have been collecting GOUDEY cards since 1981. I don't mean to be boasting here, but I have completed two 1933 GOUDEY sets (239 cards each).
Really nice ones. So, I have a lot of experience collecting these "gems" all these years. However, never seen any un-opened packs

TED Z

T206 Reference

conor912 02-24-2020 07:34 AM

I remember reading something about a pack having one card and a “sheet” of gum the same size as the card, perforated into 3 sticks? Though I’m not sure which was on top. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Goudey with undeniable gum stains on either side....

GoudeyJim 02-24-2020 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone. I figured it was a long shot but it has always been a dream to find one. Maybe some day....

Jim