Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   November Pick-Ups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213578)

jchcollins 11-25-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 1475974)
And one more for my Top 100. May have just been some crazy scanner settings but the blue on this Santo was 10x richer than the others for sale. Will know in a couple days...
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...62cb4a5aea.jpg

You are after my own heart with this card. :) I've been a Cubs fan since I was 12. My favorite Santo is his '63 Topps, although I have his '61 rookie card too. Just always liked that set. Also love his '63 Fleer - if you will notice carefully the picture was taken at the Polo Grounds - when the Mets played there before it was torn down.

MikeGarcia 11-25-2015 12:01 PM

We Agree On The '57's

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...TIFULS_NEW.JPG
Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1475997)
Those years are my favorites. '57 is the most difficult probably, because even if you find nice (in my mind, EX or better) cards, they often have snow and all kinds of printing problems that the '55 and '56's don't seem to have. But a nice '57 with rich color and a picture free from those printing problems is indeed a thing of beauty.

...any excuse to show these guys off...

jchcollins 11-25-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1476064)
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...TIFULS_NEW.JPG

...any excuse to show these guys off...

Wow. When I mean nice I'm thinking PSA 5 or 6. :) I once had a really nice copy of card #42 (Dee Fondy of the Cubs) that I sent off to SGC for grading. It came back a 8. I can't imagine a nicer '57 than that one raw when I held it in my hands, so those must be really nice in person.

jason.1969 11-25-2015 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Friends,

I'm pushing the era limits of our sub-forum, but I just had to share what is really one of the most gorgeous cards in my collection. As you compare to your own PSA 8+ cards, you may be scratching your head, but it will make sense if you imagine yourself a guy whose cards typically have such rounded corners that you could roll the card like a wheel (okay, maybe not quite that bad!)

I know this set is a bit cartoony for some collectors, but I am actually a big fan. I think the artwork really captures the era. This will be a great companion to the other HOF Diamond Stars in my collection: Hornsby, Ott, and Hubbell. Someday I hope to add Pie Traynor as well.

Wow! I just love this one! And a P.S. for the historians out there...did the Polo Grounds scoreboard really list the home team first?

Attachment 212896

jchcollins 11-25-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 1476114)
Friends,

I'm pushing the era limits of our sub-forum, but I just had to share what is really one of the most gorgeous cards in my collection. As you compare to your own PSA 8+ cards, you may be scratching your head, but it will make sense if you imagine yourself a guy whose cards typically have such rounded corners that you could roll the card like a wheel (okay, maybe not quite that bad!)

I know this set is a bit cartoony for some collectors, but I am actually a big fan. I think the artwork really captures the era. This will be a great companion to the other HOF Diamond Stars in my collection: Hornsby, Ott, and Hubbell. Someday I hope to add Pie Traynor as well.

Wow! I just love this one! And a P.S. for the historians out there...did the Polo Grounds scoreboard really list the home team first?

Attachment 212896

Awesome card! Not one that I am aware of having seen before personally. I've always loved the art-deco look of the Diamond Stars cards - they're not so much cartoony - that style was just very popular back in the day. I will always remember Bill Terry because of how Ted Williams talked about idolizing him as a young player because he had hit .400. And as for condition - well, let's just say Jason you are making me feel a lot better about my own collection. :) Great stuff!

KingFisk 11-26-2015 02:12 PM

Finally got my Mick

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't posted any of my pickups in a great while, but making an exception here... After a year of near-misses and escalating prices, I finally bit the bullet. Key for me is pretty nice centering and no roller marks. The other flaws are forgivable. I can't stop staring at it.

MattyC 11-26-2015 03:26 PM

What flaws? ;) Gorgeous. Congrats! Beast of a card to find with that eye appeal.

KingFisk 11-26-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1476407)
What flaws? ;) Gorgeous. Congrats! Beast of a card to find with that eye appeal.

Thanks, Matt! Yeah, I am very happy this one is mine. And thanks again for your advice earlier this year. It took awhile, just like you said it might, but totally worth the wait.

jb67 11-27-2015 07:15 AM

KingFisk, you nailed it with the 51 Mantle. Well played and worth the wait. Congrats.

jason.1969 11-27-2015 09:17 AM

What a month! Am remembering a signed Aaron RC, a Dan-Dee Mick, some great Jackie Robinsons, and now a Mantle RC! We are the true "pickup artists" of the internet.

dclarkraiders 11-27-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1476399)
Haven't posted any of my pickups in a great while, but making an exception here... After a year of near-misses and escalating prices, I finally bit the bullet. Key for me is pretty nice centering and no roller marks. The other flaws are forgivable. I can't stop staring at it.

Awesome card. Congrats.

KingFisk 11-27-2015 08:14 PM

Thanks JB, Jason and Duane! That Mick is one more thing to give thanks for this weekend. ;) And as Jason pointed out, this was a great November for many!

Jdoggs 11-28-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1476399)

Nice centering is it graded?

DBesse27 11-28-2015 08:00 PM

Love the 51B, Mick's TRUE RC. Nice card dude!

KingFisk 11-28-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdoggs (Post 1476957)
Nice centering is it graded?

Thanks, all! Yep, it lives in a new PSA holo slab. Would be afraid to buy one raw.

JollyElm 11-29-2015 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not exactly on par with some of the awesome cards being trotted out lately, but I picked up my second decently-centered '72 Mays 'In Action' this month and the Gibson isn't in what you would call great shape (rounded corners with staple holes at bottom), but a really tough 1962 HOF high number? I'll take it any day of the week!!!!!!!

Attachment 213251

Topps206 11-29-2015 02:33 PM

I found some 1960s commons that I sent out for TTM.

Jdoggs 11-29-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1477011)
Thanks, all! Yep, it lives in a new PSA holo slab. Would be afraid to buy one raw.

What grade if you don't mind?

jb67 11-29-2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1477148)
Not exactly on par with some of the awesome cards being trotted out lately, but I picked up my second decently-centered '72 Mays 'In Action' this month and the Gibson isn't in what you would call great shape (rounded corners with staple holes at bottom), but a really tough 1962 HOF high number? I'll take it any day of the week!!!!!!!

Attachment 213251

Darren, some nice pickups. No question it is hard to find centered 72's of Willie in action. No doubt a great price on the Gibson. I have a Johnny Bench "In Action" on the way that has pretty good centering. I have been looking for a long time to find one and can't wait to get it in hand.

JollyElm 11-29-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb67 (Post 1477314)
Darren, some nice pickups. No question it is hard to find centered 72's of Willie in action. No doubt a great price on the Gibson. I have a Johnny Bench "In Action" on the way that has pretty good centering. I have been looking for a long time to find one and can wait to get it in hand.

It's funny. Topps seemingly released 8 billion cards in 1972, so the Quality Control Department never had any time to ensure anything left the factory centered, especially Willie Mays, Johnny Bench and Hank Aaron "In Action" cards.

Robextend 11-30-2015 05:48 PM

http://photos.imageevent.com/vanslyk...0RC%20Auto.jpg

jason.1969 11-30-2015 09:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Okay, I might not have the most impressive November pickup, but I may well have the last November pickup!

Some of you may know I've decided to expand my "Top 50" display to "Top 100." This took me from needing only two cards (Ruth, Gehrig!) to needing 34! Well, the good news was that many of the ones I needed could be had in decent shape for very little. And the bad news is that I still need the Ruth and Gehrig! :rolleyes:

Attachment 213450

Attachment 213451

Attachment 213452

Attachment 213453

Attachment 213454

Attachment 213456