Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   January Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=199219)

Huysmans 01-26-2015 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, great items guys, lets keep them coming.
I found this Reach Mickey Cochrane signature model yesterday, and despite it's condition, I couldn't say no, especially considering the price. I can't see too many of these being out there, but I'm no glove expert. I did find a 1928 ad online for his signature model selling then for 15.00. The stamping were different from mine, but mine was made in Canada and the stamps and cloth patches usually differ from American made models in my experience. Or maybe mine was made later? Anyway, sorry to ramble on.

Huysmans 01-26-2015 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Huysmans 01-26-2015 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Scott Garner 01-26-2015 04:00 PM

Ewell Blackwell nearly duplicates Vander Meer's record back-to-back no-hitter feat

4 Attachment(s)
Quick trivia question:

Who came the closest to duplicating Johnny Vander Meer's record feat of throwing two back-to-back no-hitters?

My post title gives it away, but it was Johnny's Reds teammate Ewell "The Whip" Blackwell in 1947. But, the coincidental circumstances surrounding it were absolutely bizarre:

On June 17th, 1947 Blackwell no-hit the Boston Braves 6-0. Johnny Vander Meer also no-hit the Boston Braves for his 1st no-hitter on June 11th, 1938. Vander Meer witnessed Blackwell's no-hitter from the bench that night.

On June 22nd, 1947 Blackwell took the mound in game 1 of a double header against the Brooklyn Dodgers. Vander Meer also no-hit the Brooklyn Dodgers to complete his record setting double no-hitter in 1938. Blackwell took his 2nd consecutive no-hitter into the 9th inning. Vandy was actually perched on the top step of the Reds dugout ready to congratulate his friend and teammate for duplicating his record. Blackwell retired the first batter he faced before excruciatingly surrendering a hit (a single) to Eddie Stanky in the 9th inning.

The parallels are interesting and eerie. So close! After more than 76 years, no one has even duplicated the feat.

For a number of years I have owned a ticket to Blackwell's near brush with history. I was able to finally find the ultimate companion piece, a scored program to Blackwell's game on 6/22/47. It's really in great shape (NMT). Check it out...

Lordstan 01-26-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1372083)
Quick trivia question:

Who came the closest to duplicating Johnny Vander Meer's record feat of throwing two back-to-back no-hitters?

My post title gives it away, but it was Johnny's Reds teammate Ewell "The Whip" Blackwell in 1947. But, the coincidental circumstances surrounding it were absolutely bizarre:

On June 17th, 1947 Blackwell no-hit the Boston Braves 6-0. Johnny Vander Meer also no-hit the Boston Braves for his 1st no-hitter on June 11th, 1938. Vander Meer witnessed Blackwell's no-hitter from the bench that night.

On June 22nd, 1947 Blackwell took the mound in game 1 of a double header against the Brooklyn Dodgers. Vander Meer also no-hit the Brooklyn Dodgers to complete his record setting double no-hitter in 1938. Blackwell took his 2nd consecutive no-hitter into the 9th inning. Vandy was actually perched on the top step of the Reds dugout ready to congratulate his friend and teammate for duplicating his record. Blackwell retired the first batter he faced before excruciatingly surrendering a hit (a single) to Eddie Stanky in the 9th inning.

The parallels are interesting and eerie. So close! After more than 76 years, no one has even duplicated the feat.

For a number of years I have owned a ticket to Blackwell's near brush with history. I was able to finally find the ultimate companion piece, a scored program to Blackwell's game on 6/22/47. It's really in great shape (NMT).
Check it out...

Scott,
I don't know where you find this stuff, but it is amazing. Congrats on another great companion piece. You know since Jimmy(kingofclout) stopped doing baseball, I think the crown of King of Companion Pieces has been passed to you.
Best,
Mark

JeremyW 01-26-2015 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great pick-ups this month. Here's one I was happy to get recently. It's from California, Stanislaus county, from what I have researched. I think it's a 1890s photo, but would love to hear more info if anyone has any. Jeremy

Scott Garner 01-26-2015 04:19 PM

Well Mark...

Thanks! :)
I've got to share this with you:
I may be the ONLY person that still subscribes to the SCD (Sports Collectors Digest). I actually have been a subscriber for a million years. It's certainly not the publication that it once was, but as I tell many of my friends, every once in a while I still find a diamond in the rough.

This was a perfect example of why I still subscribe. I would have missed this scorebook otherwise, because the seller Pat Nuttycombe does not sell on eBay.
I managed to score something that had been on my want list for years. :cool:

Shoeless Moe 01-26-2015 04:19 PM

Great pickup Scott

Love finding out something about the history of the game I didn't know......very nice addition too!!!!

khkco4bls 01-26-2015 04:22 PM

mickey cochrane glove

4 Attachment(s)
Brent here's my 1920s reach model12A Mickey Cochrane double face glove twenty something dollars at the time in the twenties this is the highest end glove they made of his. can someone possibly rotate these pictures for me.thx

ooo-ribay 01-26-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1372094)
Thanks! :)
I've got to share this with you:
I may be the ONLY person that still subscribes to the SCD (Sports Collectors Digest). I actually have been a subscriber for a million years. It's certainly not the publication that it once was, but as I tell many of my friends, every once in a while I still find a diamond in the rough.

This was a perfect example of why I still subscribe. I would have missed this scorebook otherwise, because the seller Pat Nuttycombe does not sell on eBay.
I managed to score something that had been on my want list for years. :cool:

that IS funny!

I remember getting SCD at my local card shop on a regular basis.....that shop used to welcome my Golden Retriever. :D

Huysmans 01-26-2015 04:41 PM

Hey Kevin, that's another great glove of yours. Thanks for posting!
What would you say the value of your glove is, if you don't mind me asking?

71buc 01-26-2015 04:43 PM

Scott, congratulations on another amazing pick up!

khkco4bls 01-26-2015 05:52 PM

Brant some people say the 250 range but it's the only one I've ever seen. who was spending that kind of money in the 1920s

Runscott 01-26-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1372092)
Great pick-ups this month. Here's one I was happy to get recently. It's from California, Stanislaus county, from what I have researched. I think it's a 1890s photo, but would love to hear more info if anyone has any. Jeremy

I would run that one by Mark McRae (sp?) - he knows the 1800's California teams as well as anyone.

JeremyW 01-26-2015 06:47 PM

Scott-Thanks for the advice. I'll follow up on that.

Scott Garner 01-26-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1372115)
Scott, congratulations on another amazing pick up!

Great pickup Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love finding out something about the history of the game I didn't know......very nice addition too!!!!

Thanks Mike & Paul!

ooo-ribay 01-26-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1372173)
I would run that one by Mark McRae (sp?) - he knows the 1800's California teams as well as anyone.

I believe it's Macrae.

Scott Garner 01-26-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1372204)
I believe it's Macrae.

Rob,
You are correct. Mark's e-mail is: mark_macrae@comcast.net

He's one of the nicest & most knowledgeable guys in the hobby!
Tell him I said hi.