Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Response (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174881)

T205 GB 08-29-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1177175)
If your attorney has anything to say to me, just PM me and I’ll give you my contact information saving your attorney some time and you some money.

I actually posted my contact info for someone once because they said they were going to sue for Liable. Think the guy was from down South somewhere:D

awesome research BTW

WhenItWasAHobby 08-29-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1177460)
I actually posted my contact info for someone once because they said they were going to sue for Liable. Think the guy was from down South somewhere:D

awesome research BTW

I can relate. I once got threatened with deformation of character.

Howe’s Hunter 08-29-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby (Post 1177478)

I hate it when someone threatens to deform my character. I have enough deformities anyway.

frankbmd 08-29-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha (Post 1177484)
I hate it when someone threatens to deform my character. I have enough deformities anyway.

Well, Howe McCormick may have been guilty of deformation of your cardboard, Ed, but I thought we were talking about the reformation of cardboard in this instance.

barrysloate 08-29-2013 01:22 PM

He's liable to get sued for libel.

Runscott 08-29-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby (Post 1177478)

You mean like what Charles Schultz did to Charlie Brown's head?

oldjudge 08-29-2013 01:46 PM

David--the three bids put in on the sale of the hockey card had no impact on the final price. There were three different bidders quite a bit above his highest bid. The lot would have sold for the same price whether he bid or not. Also, how do you know who the bought and submitted the three bids on the hockey card? It is the same person, but how from the bidding records do you know who it is?

tschock 08-29-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1177502)
the three bids put in on the sale of the hockey card had no impact on the final price. There were three different bidders quite a bit above his highest bid. The lot would have sold for the same price whether he bid or not...

Ah, but the problem is with the intent, not the actual result. The INTENT was to influence the final price. THAT is the problem here. Doesn't matter whether or not he actually influenced it or not.

Should someone NOT be charged for ATTEMPTED robbery or bribery provided it didn't work?

nsaddict 08-29-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

David--the three bids put in on the sale of the hockey card had no impact on the final price. There were three different bidders quite a bit above his highest bid. The lot would have sold for the same price whether he bid or not. Also, how do you know who the bought and submitted the three bids on the hockey card? It is the same person, but how from the bidding records do you know who it is?

Sorry, but I disagree. Perhaps his bid had no impact on the final price of this particular auction. But doing so is criminal in my mind. Why not start with a higher amount or a reserve? Isn't a well know auctioneer getting jail time for this very thing?

vintagetoppsguy 08-29-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

David--the three bids put in on the sale of the hockey card had no impact on the final price. There were three different bidders quite a bit above his highest bid. The lot would have sold for the same price whether he bid or not.

I understand your point that the bids had no impact on the final price, but regardless, it's still shill bidding. Please keep in mind, this is one card of many he has shilled.

Quote:

Also, how do you know who the bought and submitted the three bids on the hockey card? It is the same person, but how from the bidding records do you know who it is?

This is done through feedback. I usually look at the feedback the seller leaves for the buyer, because the buyers usually don't leave feedback in these cases (less chance of being caught). To show you how it works, let's use the Gehrig that Panky doctored...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281122751526...1#ht_23wt_1200

1.) Open the auction and click on the bid history.
2.) It shows 9***8 (408) as the winner. That never changes from auction to auction, only the number in parenthesis (the feedback) will change.
3.) Now open the sellers feedback and click on "Feedback left for others."
4.) Scroll down until you find the bidder with 408 feedback.
5.) You'll see that it's member cgseller89.
6.) Once you know the username, it's easy to track from auction to auction

npa589 08-29-2013 03:05 PM

I don't even think one can produce a fact-based argument saying that the shill bids did not influence the final price. For example, what if both competing buyers had not seen any other competition other than themselves? Isn't it possible that they may have both entered a lower snipe? Also, though unlikely, there is a possibility that any specific buyer could include a filter in their search that does not include items below a certain price threshold. The shill bids revealed more of what the "3rd place" buyer was willing to pay, so obviously this added an element of demand that didn't in fact exist. All of these perspectives, however, are more for conversation than for their connection to the fact that it is illegal. Perhaps Joe is avoiding more of the illegality of it by consigning to Probstein!

oldjudge 08-29-2013 03:11 PM

Thanks David. I also agree that shilling is shilling.

atx840 08-29-2013 03:20 PM

1970 Hank Aaron PSA 8.5 (Centered/High End)
BOUGHT @ $222

http://i.imgur.com/EGb72Tu.jpg

1970 Topps #500 Hank Aaron HOF Atlanta Braves PSA 9 MINT NONE HIGHER CENTERED
Bumped & SOLD @ $1055

Bid took it from $166-$300

http://i.imgur.com/MS1Nr6z.jpg

ScottFandango 08-29-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1177533)
BOUGHT @ $222

Bumped & SOLD @ $1055

you dont need anymore evidence than that!

SCHILLER......does SGC know he has SGC listed under his jobs in facebook?
not good publicity for them!!!

anyone know the law in regards to schilling an auction? if its over $500 is it a felony?

brewing 08-29-2013 03:29 PM

David, I believe you have stated the case several times over with solid evidence each time.

Thank you,
Brent Ingr@m

auggiedoggy 08-29-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich klein (Post 1177325)
i'm not a lawyer but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

lol. :d

D. Bergin 08-29-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1177533)
BOUGHT @ $222

Bumped & SOLD @ $1055

Who the hell is buying these cards? $800+ increase for a 1/2 grade bump on a common card.

Makes me wonder why nobody is pointing their fingers at guys who are just way to happy to part ways with their money over miniscule adjustments in grade.

It's almost like they've created their own hell for charlatans like this to thrive.

frankbmd 08-29-2013 05:00 PM

An Ode

Trust me, Peter, I'm a doctor
Fixing cards without a proctor.
You'll surely agree whiter is righter
To make the grade, I'll make 'em brighter.

Trust me, Al, I'm a cutter
Slicing bread and adding butter.
To sharpen a corner may require
A sliver removed for a bump to acquire.

Trust me, Jeff, your cards are grungy.
To soak off germs and latent fungi,
I use water and a touch of heat.
You'll then have grades tough to beat.

Trust me, Leon, my game is hype.
Give me a handful, any type
With smoke and mirrors and perhaps a shill
Your net worth will soar despite my bill.

Trust me, Barry, in any saloon
I'll flatten your cards with only a spoon.
You buy the drinks for my hobby buddies
But not for the forum fuddy-duddies.

Anonymous

Texxxx 08-29-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1177550)
Who the hell is buying these cards? $800+ increase for a 1/2 grade bump on a common card.

Makes me wonder why nobody is pointing their fingers at guys who are just way to happy to part ways with their money over miniscule adjustments in grade.

It's almost like they've created their own hell for charlatans like this to thrive.

People that are super rich want to have the very best and cost is not a factor.

Texxxx 08-29-2013 05:05 PM

Frank your name has to be there. No Anonymous

ullmandds 08-29-2013 05:05 PM

Doctor Frank...now you just have to put it to music!!!! Go get the Wurlitzer out of the closet and get busy!!!!

cammb 08-29-2013 05:19 PM

response

I need to hear Joey's opinion on this matter.

To.ny Bivi.ano

the 'stache 08-29-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texxxx (Post 1177580)
People that are super rich want to have the very best and cost is not a factor.

I agree. They're part of the registry, and they're trying to raise their score.

alanu 08-29-2013 06:50 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I think the biggest bump or drop by crossing over cards, is going from Authentic to a Numeric Grade and vice versa.

I've had the former happen several times concerning Diamond Stars and Goudeys.

EvilKing00 08-29-2013 07:18 PM

Wow go on a short vacation for a few days and miss all this.

the 'stache 08-29-2013 07:44 PM

10,000 + views in a little over 24 hours. Wow.

UOFLfan7 08-29-2013 09:39 PM

To the OP:

I truly hope that you don't go through with contacting a lawyer and attempting to sue any members here for nothing more than voicing their opinions, most of which they have backed up with some very convicting evidence. Now, I assume that if you were to file a lawsuit that it would be a defamation lawsuit. Allow me to explain something about that lawsuit, not only is it one of the hardest lawsuits to prove, but it almost always cost the person who files the lawsuit more than it costs the person he is filing it again.

Defamation, despite what many people think, is not just using somebody's name is a bad/wrong manner without their consent or permission. It also can't be files in cases of opinions...for example, if I were to say Leon was a no-good, lying, cheating, wife-stealing, nerd, (Just an example Leon, not my actual opinions on you haha!) he couldn't file a defamation lawsuit against me as those statements are entirely my opinions and I am entitles to whatever opinion I want to have. Now if I were to make a statement such as, Leon stole three-thousand dollars from Wells Fargo...he is defiantly not to be trusted (wants again, just an example), then he would have a legit case unless I had concrete proof to prove me statement. However, even in that case, it would be a hard lawsuit to win as Leon would have to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that not only was my statement false...but that is also hurt his reputation, self-esteem, business, and in some way effected his life negatively. Now, I do not believe you are a public figure (I could be wrong as I personally don't know you), and I'm going to assume you are a private individual which does give you one advantage if you were to file a defamation lawsuit. You would not have to prove that the person who defamed you acted with malice, whereas a public official would have to. However, with that being said, I do not advise you to think that it means it would be easy for you to file a defamation lawsuit as it absolutely does not.

So with all that being said, you sir do not have any case here at all based on what I have seen. You can contact your lawyer, however I would advise against it as you would be wasting your own time and your own money. I am not going to judge whether or not you are in the wrong here, but I do, once again, advise that you take no action against any member here on this forum. Also, if you think you have a different lawsuit, you are misguided in your thinking. The only lawsuit you could even attempt to claim, based on your complaints, is a defamation lawsuit and once again, it would be near impossible for you to walk away from that with a win.

Now, to back up all that I have said, here is the condensed version of the legal definition of Defamation:

Defamation:
Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.

The probability that a plaintiff will recover damages in a defamation suit depends largely on whether the plaintiff is a public or private figure in the eyes of the law. The public figure law of defamation was first delineated in new york times v. sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 84 S. Ct. 710, 11 L. Ed. 2d 686 (1964). In Sullivan, the plaintiff, a police official, claimed that false allegations about him appeared in the New York Times, and sued the newspaper for libel. The Supreme Court balanced the plaintiff's interest in preserving his reputation against the public's interest in freedom of expression in the area of political debate. It held that a public official alleging libel must prove actual malice in order to recover damages. The Court declared that the First Amendment protects open and robust debate on public issues even when such debate includes "vehement, caustic, unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." A public official or other plaintiff who has voluntarily assumed a position in the public eye must prove that defamatory statements were made with knowledge that they were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false.

Where the plaintiff in a defamation action is a private citizen who is not in the public eye, the law extends a lesser degree of constitutional protection to defamatory statements. Public figures voluntarily place themselves in a position that invites close scrutiny, whereas private citizens who have not entered public life do not relinquish their interest in protecting their reputation. In addition, public figures have greater access to the means to publicly counteract false statements about them. For these reasons, a private citizen's reputation and privacy interests tend to outweigh free speech considerations and deserve greater protection from the courts. (See Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc., 418 U.S. 323, 94 S. Ct. 2997, 41 L. Ed. 2d 789 [1974]).

Distinguishing between public and private figures for the purposes of defamation law is sometimes difficult. For an individual to be considered a public figure in all situations, the person's name must be so familiar as to be a household word—for example, Michael Jordan. Because most people do not fit into that category of notoriety, the Court recognized the limited-purpose public figure, who is voluntarily injected into a public controversy and becomes a public figure for a limited range of issues. Limited-purpose public figures, like public figures, have at least temporary access to the means to counteract false statements about them. They also voluntarily place themselves in the public eye and consequently relinquish some of their privacy rights. For these reasons, false statements about limited-purpose public figures that relate to the public controversies in which those figures are involved are not considered defamatory unless they meet the actual-malice test set forth in Sullivan.

Determining who is a limited-purpose public figure can also be problematic. In Time, Inc. v. Firestone, 424 U.S. 448, 96 S. Ct. 958, 47 L. Ed. 2d 154 (1976), the Court held that the plaintiff, a prominent socialite involved in a scandalous Divorce, was not a public figure because her divorce was not a public controversy and because she had not voluntarily involved herself in a public controversy. The Court recognized that the divorce was newsworthy, but drew a distinction between matters of public interest and matters of public controversy. In Hutchinson v. Proxmire, 443 U.S. 111, 99 S. Ct. 2675, 61 L. Ed. 2d 411 (1979), the Court determined that a scientist whose federally supported research was ridiculed as wasteful by Senator William Proxmire was not a limited-purpose public figure because he had not sought public scrutiny in order to influence others on a matter of public controversy, and was not otherwise well-known.

If that is a bit too hard for you to understand, here is a simpler definition with less detail.

Defamation (of character)
n. the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his/her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media it is libel and, if only oral, it is slander. Public figures, including officeholders and candidates have to show that the defamation was made with malicious intent and was not just fair comment. Damages for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malice. Some statements such as an accusation of having committed a crime, having a feared disease, or being unable to perform one's occupation are called libel per se or slander and can more easily lead to large money awards in court and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed. Most states provide for a demand for a printed retraction of defamation and only allow a lawsuit if there is no such admission of error.

Once again, to the OP, I make no judgement on whether or not you have disgraced this hobby, editing and trimming cards, erasing pencil marks, schilling, etc. Just giving you legal advice.

I would also like to apologize to Leon, as well as to the other forum members, for the rather long, drawn out post, but I felt the need to post this as the OP's threat to contact an attorney worried me a bit. Nobody here wants to waste their time and money dealing with a pointless lawsuit that would benefit neither party involved.

Leon 08-29-2013 10:04 PM

UOFLfan7- I don't mind if you say all that stuff but you need to have your full first and last name in the post. (or edit out your comments)....thanks

and I should add that there are 2-3 other board members that will have their names put in their posts in this thread, by tomorrow morning, if they don't do it themselves. Otherwise they can edit their comments out. No harm no foul....

Peter_Spaeth 08-29-2013 10:05 PM

Lol. I didn't know proof "beyond a shadow of a doubt" governed in defamation cases. Damn educational forum you have here, Leon.

calvindog 08-29-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1177739)
Lol. I didn't know proof "beyond a shadow of a doubt" governed in defamation cases. Damn educational forum you have here, Leon.

One of my favorite Hitchcock movies. Probably top 3.

Leon 08-29-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1177739)

No extra charge Peter. You get all of that and more!!

Leon 08-29-2013 10:17 PM

To the OPs statement, it left a lot to be desired.

thehoodedcoder 08-30-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1177744)

It is an admission of guilt, at this point.

Kevin

npa589 08-30-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1177741)
One of my favorite Hitchcock movies. Probably top 3.

Though not my favorite Hitchcock film, I always thought The Rope was terrific and overlooked with regard to his many other masterpieces. If only Joe would offer an additional response to tighten how apropos that movie title would be for this situation...

thehoodedcoder 08-31-2013 09:28 AM

Since there is not going to be another response from this person maybe now it is time to start taking some action against what has happened?

How much is an advertising spot on this forum? Can we put up a banner ad?

A simple banner saying "Josepth Pankiewicz alters cards and resubmits them for higher grades" would be sufficient.

Kevin

DanP 08-31-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1178295)
Since there is not going to be another response from this person maybe now it is time to start taking some action against what has happened?

How much is an advertising spot on this forum? Can we put up a banner ad?

A simple banner saying "Josepth Pankiewicz alters cards and resubmits them for higher grades" would be sufficient.

Kevin

Great idea. I'll chip in...

Leon 08-31-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanP (Post 1178315)
Great idea. I'll chip in...

Don't get any ideas :)....that banner ad won't make it up on this board. I understand the sentiment though.

thehoodedcoder 08-31-2013 03:03 PM

why wouldn't you put the banner ad up?

kevin

xcgrammer 08-31-2013 03:32 PM

What is the percentage of times that someone who threatens to sue actually follows through on it??? My guess is 0.3 percent of the time. Threats rarely are followed through on. For example "I'm gonna kick your ass." when said in a bar never happens. If you were gonna kick someone's ass or sue them you would want the element of surprise which is why a threat to do either is pretty much a promise you won't do either, ither, neither, nither.

Leon 08-31-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1178397)
why wouldn't you put the banner ad up?

kevin

It's just something I wouldn't do. Kind of like having a poll to see if someone should be banned or not, it will never happen. Some things are just better left alone..and a very negative banner is one I won't want. We can talk and debate but it won't happen on this board. And also, generally speaking when we get all of these great suggestions on how the board should be run, they go in one ear....and eventually out the other. It's been going ok for the last 12 yrs the way it is....hopefully the next 12 will be as good.

HRBAKER 08-31-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

He did confirm that his name was Joe.

Sean1125 08-31-2013 03:51 PM

We are only at 13,000 views.

bobbyw8469 09-02-2013 04:43 PM

I love this thread!! It has such a Lebron James feel to it!

WhenItWasAHobby 09-02-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Re-reading the OP, here is something else that I find rather perplexing:

"Rick Probstein deserves an apology from whoever accused Rick of being in cahoots with me for me to buy an undergraded card and resell it through him after regrading".

Why would anyone have to apologize to Rick if the OP was doing nothing wrong in the first place?:confused:

UOFLfan7 09-02-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1177738)
UOFLfan7- I don't mind if you say all that stuff but you need to have your full first and last name in the post. (or edit out your comments)....thanks

and I should add that there are 2-3 other board members that will have their names put in their posts in this thread, by tomorrow morning, if they don't do it themselves. Otherwise they can edit their comments out. No harm no foul....

Done

DanP 09-03-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1178316)
Don't get any ideas :)....that banner ad won't make it up on this board. I understand the sentiment though.

Sure, I understand. We can accomplish the same thing for free by constantly bumping the original post so it stays near the top.

UOFLfan7 09-03-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1179413)
I love this thread!! It has such a Lebron James feel to it!

Haha, it really does!

Also has the feel of highschool! So much gossip and rumors!

hammer 09-03-2013 09:01 AM

Money, Money, Moneeeey.