Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   January Pick-Up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233217)

vintagesportscollector 01-30-2017 06:35 AM

Thanks all, for the nice comments about the Cabinet.

@Dewey2007 - that's a sweet Robinson billboard. Quite the display piece. Congrats!

Dave Grob 01-30-2017 07:05 AM

Yankee's Batting Helmet

1 Attachment(s)
The helmet, as a function of construction style (two hole), logo style, and marking information dates from c1958-1962. Thrilled that the NY logo is intact and that the helmet had "not become" a Berra, Ford, Mantle, or Maris helmet.

Dave Grob

vintagesportscollector 01-30-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1625575)
The helmet, as a function of construction style (two hole), logo style, and marking information dates from c1958-1962. Thrilled that the NY logo is intact and that the helmet had "not become" a Berra, Ford, Mantle, or Maris helmet.

Dave Grob

That's interesting Dave. So they actually put felt for the logo on a hard helmet, and not paint or a decal?

Dave Grob 01-30-2017 07:30 AM

They sure did and not just the Yankees. This is easy enough to confirm in period images that capture the helmets from the side or from above. But these designs changed over time by team, along with other facets such as the number/location of vent holes in the crown of the helmet as well as information contained on the interior ABC sticker. When studied in some detail and considered in total, it does offer one the ability to establish some objective date ranges for the helmets.

Dave Grob

earlywynnfan 01-30-2017 08:21 AM

Dave, what are the viewing times for your man-cave? Do you offer guided tours?

Ken

Dave Grob 01-30-2017 08:33 AM

Ken,

The bulk of the items I post here get sent to MEARS for either display in the museum and or to add to the exemplar library. Current staffing levels at MEARS (South Milwaukee, WI) don't permit unfettered access to the museum/collection at this time.

That being said, anyone wishing to see the collection and take the tour (we now have a self-paced guide that Robin Yount took and enjoyed this past weekend), should contact Troy Kinunen at MEARS to coordinate a time to come by.

I get up there every couple of months to do museum work and or to look at uniforms at may not be practical or are cost prohibitive to ship to me for research and analysis.

Dave Grob

icollectDCsports 01-30-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1625579)
They sure did and not just the Yankees. This is easy enough to confirm in period images that capture the helmets from the side or from above. But these designs changed over time by team, along with other facets such as the number/location of vent holes in the crown of the helmet as well as information contained on the interior ABC sticker. When studied in some detail and considered in total, it does offer one the ability to establish some objective date ranges for the helmets.

Dave Grob

And some folks may not know that the Cubs to this day still affix embroidered patch C logos to their helmets instead of a decal. And, within the last couple of years, the Dodgers started using 3D LA logos on their helmets, first made out of a sort of plastic and then reportedly switching to a more pliable material because the plastic logos weren't taking game abuse well and were cracking and breaking.

In any event, I love the old felt logos on helmets.

ooo-ribay 01-30-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtigers65 (Post 1625514)
Dewey,
Great pick up. I see you are from Alameda. Have you been to the antique fair? Just curious as I am from the Sacramento area and never been there. Been thinking about it.
Jim

I love the broadside, Dewey! If by "antique fair", Jim means the giant swap meet out in the boatyards.....I was lucky enough to get out there once. I didn't find a damn thing for my collection but it was fun. My Bay Area buddy and fellow Giants collector occassionally finds something there. You guys are lucky to have a good, recurring meet like that one.

daves_resale_shop 01-31-2017 11:18 AM

Mick's last dinger

1 Attachment(s)
Psyched to add this one to the collection (second I've owned, but the 1st I've seen with "old timers day" stamped on it... Mick hit the last homer of his life during that game against former teammate and fellow hall of Famer whitey ford...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 01-31-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 1626053)
Psyched to add this one to the collection (second I've owned, but the 1st I've seen with "old timers day" stamped on it... Mick hit the last homer of his life during that game against former teammate and fellow hall of Famer whitey ford...

What a great stub!

irv 01-31-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1626056)
What a great stub!

X2!

Awesome P/U!

YankeeFan 01-31-2017 11:20 PM

Love the Yankees '73 Old timers stub. Nice pickup.

I also collect Yankees tickets...slowly working on having examples from each year. I buy Opening Day, Old Timer's Day and last game of the year whenever I can.

sayheykid54 02-01-2017 05:20 PM

Picked up a Arthur Miller banner. I've always been a huge fan of Miller's work:)

Scott Garner 02-01-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayheykid54 (Post 1626501)
picked up this arthur miller ty cobb candy banner. I've always been a huge fan of miller's work:)

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sayheykid1954/img_9821.jpg
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sayheykid1954/img_9822.jpg

Nice!

slidekellyslide 02-01-2017 09:48 PM

Hey, you guys know that it's February now, right? :D