Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The ultimate trade up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238153)

rats60 04-26-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhs5120 (Post 1654555)
Imagine you have a lot worth $700-$1,100. This may be a high grade common, a mixed lot of random cards or an obscure issue. You trade that lot to Stephen for a single card worth $750. This may be a single, more liquid card. You are getting a fair trade (albeit on the lower end of the lots worth), but still a fair trade.

Then, Stephen trades that lot worth $700-$1,100 for a single card (or group of liquid cards) worth ~$1,000. He is still making a fair trade. Then Stephen trades his card worth $1,000 for a lot of cards worth $900-$1,500. Still a fair trade. Repeat this process 15-20 times.

No charity, all fair trades and no one is being asked to take a loss. It's a lot of work for Stephen, a ton of fun to watch and even more fun to participate in the trading. Sit back and enjoy my friend, we are all card collectors here.
Jason

How is it a fair trade if he is asking for more value than you get back? That is his first condition of trading with him.

irv 04-26-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1654544)
Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

If you had a dupe and it was a tough sell getting the money it once sold for but then seen a card you have coveted for a while and Stephen was interested in your trade, would you not go for it?

Like someone also mentioned, if you had $1000 in mulch that you couldn’t get rid of, would you not trade that for a $800 in gold?

Some will not of course, and that is their choice, but others will as they are tired of either trying to sell the card(s) they own or they see one Stephen has that they want more.

I currently need quite a few 52 Topps cards and if I had some dupes, that, cumulatively, were worth more than a card I have coveted for a while, then I more than likely would do that trade.

jhs5120 04-26-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1654562)
How is it a fair trade if he is asking for more value than you get back? That is his first condition of trading with him.

Not every card has a fixed value, rather a range. Read what I previously wrote. This is a fun thread to watch, there's no need to analyze two adults trading baseball cards.

rats60 04-26-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1654564)
If you had a dupe and it was a tough sell getting the money it once sold for but then seen a card you have coveted for a while and Stephen was interested in your trade, would you not go for it?

Like someone also mentioned, if you had $1000 in mulch that you couldn’t get rid of, would you not trade that for a $800 in gold?

Some will not of course, and that is their choice, but others will as they are tired of either trying to sell the card(s) they own or they see one Stephen has that they want more.

I currently need quite a few 52 Topps cards and if I had some dupes, that, cumulatively, were worth more than a card I have coveted for a while, then I more than likely would do that trade.

I understand someone willing to take a loss to make a trade, but they still aren't getting a fair trade. When the 76ers traded Wilt Chamberlain to the Lakers or the Bucks traded Kareem Abdul Jabbar to the Lakers, did they get fair trades? No, they wanted to move the players so they took less than fair market value to do so.

ullmandds 04-26-2017 08:27 AM

this whole concept of trading for something more/less valuable than what you are trading happens all the time!

with my MILLER run for example...I've traded way more than a dots miller with an unusual back is worth to someone else because the miller is important to me...therefore I will trade up for it.

Similiarly if someone knows they have a "common" you need to complete a set...or a run...or whatever it becomes more valuable than it really is to that person.

No difference to me.

rdixon1208 04-26-2017 08:53 AM

Me too

This is my real life situation: I have a card worth about $225 - $265. It's not really worth consigning....it's just the one card. If I sell it on ebay and get a fair price then I'll bring home $215 or so after fees. I would happily trade that card for a card(s) that's worth around $200, and I wouldn't feel like I "lost".

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdixon1208 (Post 1654600)
This is my real life situation: I have a card worth about $225 - $265. It's not really worth consigning....it's just the one card. If I sell it on ebay and get a fair price then I'll bring home $215 or so after fees. I would happily trade that card for a card(s) that's worth around $200, and I wouldn't feel like I "lost".

What card? Holler at me!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 08:56 AM

Ok let's do this...

The rube T-206 is available for 33 delivered today or else it's on eBay tomorrow.

Let's make a quick deal.

KingFisk 04-26-2017 10:16 AM

Stephen, I would suggest also posting your wares in the BST for those who may not be following this project specifically and may be interested in acquiring what you've got.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1654626)
Stephen, I would suggest also posting your wares in the BST for those who may not be following this project specifically and may be interested in acquiring what you've got.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great Idea!