Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The ultimate trade up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238153)

Snapolit1 04-24-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1653753)
Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more. If I had some psa 10 third-year card of a mid-tier hall of famer, I would gladly trade it for a card I covet that may be "worth" 15-20% less. What should I do instead? Put it up for sale and wait for a guy who happens to be putting together an all-psa 10 1973 Topps set to pay me 10k? Or should I put it up on PWCC and PRAY it hits 10k so I can get 9k after pwcc gets their cut? I prefer the card I covet. I think this is the type of scenario he is getting at. But you guys are destroying him like he is trying to pull a fast one, when the very title of the thread is telling you precisely what he is trying to do. I wish him well.

Amazing how someone qoes from a dramatic public declaration that they are leaving the board forever to a week later a rollout of a major project that is going to involve seemingly 1000s of posts. Whatever. Best of luck.

1952boyntoncollector 04-24-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1653790)
Amazing how someone qoes from a dramatic public declaration that they are leaving the board forever to a week later a rollout of a major project that is going to involve seemingly 1000s of posts. Whatever. Best of luck.

The leaving the board forever or selling their collection and getting out of the hobby declaration appears to be a fraternity of several current net54 posters. I am not sure where the chapter meetings are held. :) There should be an icon next to the name when people join that not so exclusive club....

T206Collector 04-24-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1653661)
Stephen, it looks to me like you are the one taking all of the risk in these transactions. You offered a T205 WOJO, which is an easy sell, for some T206's. Even if the "book value" of the T206's is $1000, it is much more difficult to sell these types of cards than it is to easily flip the WOJO. Some of the T206's will sell quickly, and some will sit on eBay for awhile, and some you will have to sell at a discount. You are the one taking the risk and you are the one who is doing the work of selling and trading multiple lower value cards. I don't know why people are hassling you about this.

Good luck with your quest.

Rick

+1

It will be easier to take one card and trade down for parts. That's where the value is, I would guess. You get better value in cards overall because you are willing to accept the transaction costs of time, shipping, etc. I think this could work, but it will certainly take awhile.

I too would like to follow along, but there are a lot of people on here annoyed by the way this is being carried out that are distracting from the value of considering the pursuit, which alone is interesting to me.

Leon 04-24-2017 07:53 AM

A way of cleaning up this thread mess is being considered. The game is fine but the crappy responses in between not so much. Those members being annoyed might eventually be annoyed a lot more :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1653808)
+1

It will be easier to take one card and trade down for parts. That's where the value is, I would guess. You get better value in cards overall because you are willing to accept the transaction costs of time, shipping, etc. I think this could work, but it will certainly take awhile.

I too would like to follow along, but there are a lot of people on here annoyed by the way this is being carried out that are distracting from the value of considering the pursuit, which alone is interesting to me.

Bpm0014 04-24-2017 08:07 AM

Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more.

Exactly! He isn't trying to scam anyone! I don't know Stephen at all, but I decided to participate in this fun project. And I'll admit, it went as smoothly as can be. I'm in this hobby simply....as a hobby. If you are in it for the business side of it, isn't the ultimate goal to make money? Or trade up? Or buy low, sell high?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-24-2017 08:57 AM

Whose up for a trade!!! I got the cards! Or offer a price to buy. Let's keep the ball rolling

boysblue 04-24-2017 07:14 PM

Gotta love the enthusiasm of the OP. And he is transparent, and it doesn't appear he is asking for any favours from anybody in his dealings. I don't see why some posters are giving him grief.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-25-2017 02:17 PM

Here is where we stand..

Started with a Walter Johnson T-205 SGC 40.

Turned it into......

T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF SOLD $150
T206 McGraw, at hip, psa 3 HOF SOLD $110
T206 McGraw, port w/cap psa 2 HOF SOLD $110
T206 Chase, pink, psa3 SOLD $110

So far shipping has ran $23.58 leaving me with $456.42 and the following left for sale or trade.

T206 McGraw, finger air, psa2 HOF
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 Pelty, vert, psa 4.5
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
a very nice raw NM range 62 topps Mays AS card
T-206 Rube Marquard
Honus Wagner Photo

Anyone interested?

Gradedcardman 04-25-2017 02:32 PM

Value

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1653745)
Yep. But if anyone wants to trade me their $1000 card for my $500 one, drop me a PM. Will also trade your $100 card for my $20 one.

If I need that card valued at $500 and I want it at any cost then a $1000 card traded is nothing. I get the card I want and trade a card I apparently don't value as much regardless of the perceived value then its a win win. I got what I wanted and the person who traded with me is also happy. I did this quite a few times on my PD 42 quest. No regrets.

vintagerookies51 04-25-2017 03:07 PM

Getting real tired of the negativity on this board. Stephen isn't asking you to donate to a gofundme for him to get a '52 Mantle. He's announcing a challenging project that he's taking on, just in case anyone is interested in trading. If you're not, move on to a new thread! It's that simple.

By no means is he asking for $1,000 cards in exchange for a $500 card. I participated in this trading, and was very pleased. If someone is looking for a card that doesn't come up for sale often and this guy has it, of course they are going to pay (trade) a premium for it! You're not spending any money, after all.