Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Stars in unusual uniforms at the end of their careers. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337672)

Mike D. 08-27-2023 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2366126)
Since we're talking about players whose final seasons were with teams fans wouldn't associate them with, I thought this would be of interest.

Bobby Abreu played his final season with the Mets. I don't have a card showing him as Met - I don't know if one exists - but I was at his last game in 2014, and after his final Major League at-bat the Mets put a graphic on the scoreboard thanking him for 18 great Major League seasons.

I thought that was weird, because 17 of those great seasons were against the Mets. :eek:

Abreu did appear on a few Mets cards, and I agree, it's weird.

https://www.tcdb.com/Images/Cards/Ba...10136965Fr.jpg

Rich Klein 09-03-2023 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2366164)
Spahn

And if you remember, the 1966 2nd series checklist originally had Spahn as card #115 otherwise we would have a San Francisco Giants card of Spahn to conclude his career.

And you know, I would have like to have seen a capper card for Spahn with the complete career record.

Regards
Rich

clydepepper 09-05-2023 01:05 PM

This thread will be of assistance to all of us playing Immaculate Grid!!

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 09-07-2023 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bending the rules because this is a coach card and not a "playing days" card, but I always get a kick out of this card when flipping through my 1987 Topps binder. Yogi Berra as an Astro.

Attachment 588080

thechefs2003 09-22-2023 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2370362)
This thread will be of assistance to all of us playing Immaculate Grid!!

Yep! Exactly.

thechefs2003 09-22-2023 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refz (Post 2363815)
I love this one

Ok, this one has me baffled. I know DiMaggio almost got traded to the Red Sox but the deal fell through. What's the story here?

G1911 10-12-2023 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Always forget he ended up in St. Louis.

G1911 10-13-2023 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And his Dodger partner, with 2 obscure stints near the end.

nat 10-15-2023 04:18 PM

The A's are, and always have been, the masters of this.

OTOMH:

Cobb (2 years)
Speaker
Lajoie (although he also played there early in his career)
Billy Williams (although 2 seasons)
Cepeda (3 games, but not right at the end)
Piazza
Joe Morgan
Satchel Paige
Wheat

Other fun ones:

Ed Walsh on the Braves
Eddie Plank on the Browns
Ray Schalk on the Giants

We tend to associate Hughie Jennings with the Tigers (or at least I do) since that's the team he's on for all of his 20th century cards, but he was actually a Baltimore Oriole (19th c. edition). All those cards of Ee-yah in Detroit gear should look weird, even if they don't.

And then there are the ones that didn't actually happen. Rollie Fingers was traded by the Padres to the Cardinals on Dec. 8th 1980, and then traded to the Brewers four days later. Similarly, Robin Roberts was traded to the Yankees before the 1962 season, but then the Yankees traded him to the Orioles before the season started. His 1962 Topps card says that he's on the Yankees, but it shows him in his Phillies uniform, because he never actually suited-up for the Yanks. (Sorry, Fingers and Roberts won't help you with IG.)

MichiganMan24 11-11-2023 10:23 PM

Great idea!

3 Attachment(s)
What a funny idea for a collection! Here's three more for you to add...

Would love for you to share when you feel the collection is complete!

Mungo Hungo 11-14-2023 11:02 PM

Not sure if you (the OP) are on Trading Card Database, but this would make for a compelling TCDB "list"--a visual of each card in your preferred order.

G1911 11-16-2023 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gooden had very brief stints with Houston and Tampa Bay. I don't think he really had another Astros card and I don't think he ever appeared as a Devil Ray players.

G1911 11-16-2023 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another Abreu, from his Dodgers run. I believe he only made it into Update and Heritage High Number as a Dodger, which is a tiny amount of sets for modern.

jacksoncoupage 11-16-2023 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2389377)
Gooden had very brief stints with Houston and Tampa Bay. I don't think he really had another Astros card and I don't think he ever appeared as a Devil Ray players.

I believe that (and chrome parallels) are in fact his only Astros card. As far as I know, no Rays cards of him exist.

bmattioli 11-22-2023 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The best I ever saw and brought me a WS Championship..

7nohitter 01-17-2024 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the past two days I saw Duke Snider with the Expos.....and Dale Murphy with the St. Louis Cardinals

aredsfan 02-23-2024 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 611431

philliesfan 02-27-2024 01:33 PM

Steve Carlton in any uniform other than the Cardinals or Phillies.
After the Phillies he played for the Giants, White Sox, Cleveland and Minnesota.
Bob

mrmopar 02-29-2024 04:50 PM

Frank Thomas mader a stop in Oakland as well.

The Dodgers were equally skilled at picking up aging players near the ends of their careers.

Off the top of my head: A. Vaughan, Cuyler, Maranville, both Waner Bros, Ruth (Coach), Maglie, F. Robinson, B Powell, E Murray, Bunning, Boyer, G Carter, Marichal, Thome, Pujols, Maddux, Utley, V. Romo, Belanger. I am sure given a few hours to think, I could list many more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nat (Post 2380880)
The A's are, and always have been, the masters of this.

OTOMH:

Cobb (2 years)
Speaker
Lajoie (although he also played there early in his career)
Billy Williams (although 2 seasons)
Cepeda (3 games, but not right at the end)
Piazza
Joe Morgan
Satchel Paige
Wheat

Other fun ones:

Ed Walsh on the Braves
Eddie Plank on the Browns
Ray Schalk on the Giants

We tend to associate Hughie Jennings with the Tigers (or at least I do) since that's the team he's on for all of his 20th century cards, but he was actually a Baltimore Oriole (19th c. edition). All those cards of Ee-yah in Detroit gear should look weird, even if they don't.

And then there are the ones that didn't actually happen. Rollie Fingers was traded by the Padres to the Cardinals on Dec. 8th 1980, and then traded to the Brewers four days later. Similarly, Robin Roberts was traded to the Yankees before the 1962 season, but then the Yankees traded him to the Orioles before the season started. His 1962 Topps card says that he's on the Yankees, but it shows him in his Phillies uniform, because he never actually suited-up for the Yanks. (Sorry, Fingers and Roberts won't help you with IG.)

judsonhamlin 02-29-2024 07:10 PM

The Red Sox have a pretty good (or bad) record in late career pickups as well. You can go back to Herb Pennock (the second time), Bing Miller, Rube Walberg, Rudy York, Luis Aparicio, Bob Veale, Juan Marichal, Orlando Cepeda, Bob Bailey, Tony Perez and Tom Seaver. And that just scratches the “maybe they have one more good year in them” pile