Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting burned out (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=324377)

Hankphenom 09-08-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stupe the Second Sacker (Post 2261642)
If you list memorabilia on ebay, you can expect an offer from him within minutes. Sometimes less. It became a running joke with myself. The first offer I received, was without fail, always him.

I have no love for the guy, he banned me from his auctions 15 years ago for telling him I thought his shipping fee was too high for an item I had won. But it does seem he's developed a niche that's good for him and for sellers, if not for collectors, and that's just capitalism at work.

Shoeless Moe 09-08-2022 11:36 AM

I've blocked JonStats as well.

It was years ago he either freaked out on me because I wouldn't end an auction or wouldn't ship something out fast enough. But I couldn't take his bitching.

He tried with a 2nd account as well as it was from his same Texas city. Knew it was him. Same M.O. Blocked that account too.

Both are currently on my blocked bidders list on Ebay.

Hankphenom 09-08-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2261663)
I've blocked JonStats as well. It was years ago he either freaked out on me because I wouldn't end an auction or wouldn't ship something out fast enough. But I couldn't take his bitching. He tried with a 2nd account as well as it was from his same Texas city. Knew it was him. Same M.O. Blocked that account too. Both are currently on my blocked bidders list on Ebay.

Guy was a total dickhead to me for so little reason. Was a flat item, probably a photo, that I knew he'd be paying two or three bucks to mail, and I think he charged seven or eight when a lot of sellers were including the S&H in the total. My message with payment was just something like, "your shipping fee seems high for this," and he answered, "Well now you won't ever have to worry about it again!" What a jerk.

doug.goodman 09-09-2022 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2261397)
IRob, I really value your contributions on this board. Hopefully your burnout doesn't extend to Net54... just ebay.

Very good point, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Fballguy 09-09-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2261673)
Guy was a total dickhead to me for so little reason. Was a flat item, probably a photo, that I knew he'd be paying two or three bucks to mail, and I think he charged seven or eight when a lot of sellers were including the S&H in the total. My message with payment was just something like, "your shipping fee seems high for this," and he answered, "Well now you won't ever have to worry about it again!" What a jerk.

I've never had a problem with him (though he does over charge for shipping) but I've heard many stories like this....but also know several people who think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Hankphenom 09-09-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2261948)
I've never had a problem with him (though he does over charge for shipping) but I've heard many stories like this....but also know several people who think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm guessing they never complained about the shipping! He could have just said something like, "didn't you see it in the listing?" and that would have been the end of it, but chose instead to get off by wielding his enormous power to ban me from his auctions. Just think of all the time I spend lamenting my audacity and trying to figure out how I could get back into his good graces.

ooo-ribay 09-09-2022 01:30 PM

Let’s not turn this into the “Bash jonsstats” thread. :p

ooo-ribay 09-09-2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfhofer (Post 2261608)
Great topic of discussion. Stay in the hobby long enough almost everyone will feel this way at some point. Completely natural and understandable.

If I may offer a suggestion….try working out trades with similar collectors. If you narrow the scope of your focus some of the nicer pieces in your collection may become expendable. Some of the best pieces in my collection were obtained this way.

Don’t go nuclear and sell everything. You’ll regret it down the road.

Mark

People ask me fairly often if I have anything to trade. Problem is, I never feel like I do. Yeah, maybe some crap no one wants, but little else. I own some Holy Grails and covet some Holy Grails but I never feel like trading one for the other. Maybe it goes back to memorabilia being more “held” than, say, cards. I know a small community of Giants collectors….they know what I have and I know what they have. Unfortunately, giving up one Holy Grail for another means I will probably never get back what I traded. Arrrrrgh! :p

I did actually have a great ebay experience a few days back. I was able to add to my Giants collection and get some duplicates for friends. Right before that, though, I pulled the trigger on something that, turns out I already own. Not sure where it is, though. That’s another, somewhat rare, ebay frustration and nothing I can blame on anyone other than myself.

mr2686 09-09-2022 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 2260318)
This has been my philosophy the last several months. Have pretty much taken a self imposed break from buying and checking EBAY every day. What I have been doing is working on the memorabilia room, enjoying the stuff that's already displayed, and making sure all my checklists/documentation/want-need lists are all up to date. It's been a nice refreshing change, and what I've come to realize is that I'm never going to be able to buy of find everything I want/need so I'll just enjoy what I have and the rest will sort itself out.

After writing this I decided to check my purchase history on EBAY for this year, and just as I thought, I haven't purchased anything this year (and can't even remember the last time I searched). Proud of myself, I thought I just do one quick search...and wouldn't you know it I found something I've been looking for for several years and at a great price too. Yeah of course I bought it. LOL

Shoeless Moe 09-09-2022 04:32 PM

I actually think memorabilia, old baseballs and tickets have been more plentiful as of late. Not sure why, but last month of so, seeing more and more after a long dry spell.

Hankphenom 09-09-2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2261981)
Let’s not turn this into the “Bash jonsstats” thread. :p

Sorry, I got carried away.

BobC 09-09-2022 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2262051)
I actually think memorabilia, old baseballs and tickets have been more plentiful as of late. Not sure why, but last month of so, seeing more and more after a long dry spell.

As the prices of cards have climbed so much recently, it makes sense that some collectors may start turning more attention (and money) to things like memorabilia, thereby starting to draw more of such out for sale. Plus, there seems to be more and more card auctions than ever these days, and as a result, more opportunities for memorabilia to be listed to fill out those extra auctions as well.